• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nothing runs like a Deere

Help Support Ranchers.net:

bar o ranch

Reaction score
06-30-11_1231.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome and I'm glad Shiloh asked how to post pictures. I may have got it! We had good luck in baling our hay yesterday and today, and it didn't get rained on once. Cows should like this hay. :D

Hi Haymaker! The baler is a 556, edge-wrap, makes a 5 x 5 bale. This is our first year using that baler and don't know alot about the netwrap, but people tell us they'll save alot of hay. That 4020 is a workhorse, and younger than both of us! It was made in 1965. That baler sure bales quicker than our old one, a 330, 4 x 4 bales. Don't miss the broken shear pins. 8)

how many hours?
I am not sure the new ones are an improvement on some of the older models.

IMG_3655.jpg

this 4040 is over 30 years old and less then 3500 hours on the gauge, we bought it to do a little dry farming but mainly to pull a small square baler. We ened up buying 2 self propelled 1283 balers so after getting barley planted and a little fall plowing it never got used much. Then traded a super 1049 stackliner for this round baler, so the old 4040 get a few more hours on her each summer then before.

We used to have a 4430 with 35000 hours on it and the only thing we had done was split it once and do the powershift. It wore through 2 front end loaders. When we sold it, the guy jumped in, turned the key and drove it home.
Now we have a second hand 4240 that we did a motor on at around 12000 hours (we got it with around 10,500). We put very few hours on a tractor anymore, and with a new circulating heater it doesn't need ether to start, so it should last a long time.
I am not sure the new ones are that much of an improvement, although the comfort is nice, and the seat for kids would be pretty good (They are $700 at the dealer in town).

I love the old 4020's. :D I overhaul our's two years ago and it was the first time its ever been done. Its a old rice tractor style with powershift transmission. One day I will totally redo it and make it like new. It has JD158 loader that fits on it.

PICT1185-1.jpg

Latest posts