• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

now this is an athlete

Help Support Ranchers.net:

He's something all right.

Too bad he's being used to entertain a bunch of bloodthirsty Spaniards. That has to be the most cruel "sport" in the modern world. :roll:

While I cannot see the pics I assume you are watching bull fighting?

I have mixed emotions on it - exciting to watch and the fighter does not always win.

BC

This must be Merlin!!!!! I haven't clicked on it. But I could watch that horse move alllllll dayyyyy longggggg!!!!!!!!! He's awesome.

As for bull fighting....I realize it is cruel to our way of thinking. But it's also part of their culture.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
This must be Merlin!!!!! I haven't clicked on it. But I could watch that horse move alllllll dayyyyy longggggg!!!!!!!!! He's awesome.

As for bull fighting....I realize it is cruel to our way of thinking. But it's also part of their culture.

it is Merlin. i agree with your entire post 100%. i think i watched that video a dozen times last night.

Not any more athletic than any of the good pickup horses in the PRCA or the CPRA-I'd of put my little Hopsing mare in there too. Remember he's fighting fresh bulls-they only fight them once then they are killed. Quite a bit different than taking on a 6-7 year old bucking bull that knows the tricks-our old Prankster bull gaffed a few horses over the years. He's a great horse but no better than we have here. You get an old Charolais bullk brushed up and on the fight you better be mounted. I roped a 2200 pound on a green pony one day-the potlicker jumped in the digout-the circus had come to the neighbors pasture.

Northern Rancher said:
Not any more athletic than any of the good pickup horses in the PRCA or the CPRA-I'd of put my little Hopsing mare in there too. Remember he's fighting fresh bulls-they only fight them once then they are killed. Quite a bit different than taking on a 6-7 year old bucking bull that knows the tricks-our old Prankster bull gaffed a few horses over the years. He's a great horse but no better than we have here. You get an old Charolais bullk brushed up and on the fight you better be mounted. I roped a 2200 pound on a green pony one day-the potlicker jumped in the digout-the circus had come to the neighbors pasture.

whats the deal NR, it seems as if you can't give some credit if you didn't raise it, own in or have some sort of hand in it. i think Merlin deserves a bit more credit than that. but thats just me....

I don't see where I had a hasnd in any prca and cpra pickup horses and hopsing was a little cat. I've read quite a bit about the history of bull fighting-it's pretty slanted against the bull. Merlin is a good horse and pretty but not any better than this side of the pond.

I too have watched the Merlin video more times than I can count. What impresses me as much as his athletic ability is his intelligence. I don't believe the rider can cue him quickly enough to do what he does. I think Merlin is "into" the game and reacting to the bull on his own.

Was able to watch the finals of the NCHA futurity last nite on TV, another group of horses that are incredible to watch. I watch them and still can't believe the moves they make.

Gary

I am not trying to pick a fight, but Northern Rancher you are mistaken. I have protected cowboys, freestyled bull, and picked up broncs, I have never seen anything like that. In the US we flank bulls. Broncs don't come at you. Not taking anything away from your horse either. Give credit where credit is due. That demonstration makes it look way easier than it is. Very impressive, Spanish or not.

Well my bucking bulls come at you-love him all you want. That bull will only fight once than get killed-they don't learn many tricks in one out. I've seen more than one pickup horse endoed-not the good ones though. By the way in two trips to the National High School Finals I never saw a pickup man would last a perf up here without getting fired. A several time world champion saddle bronc rider agreed with me-three stooges in the arena couldn't pick up a run away shetland school pony!!! You want to pick up broncs they should maybe get on a horse can outrun one-learn not to fall off while the grand entry is going on and learn how to rope. I saw more broncs run into the strip chute still flanked-good way to wreck a bucking horse. There are lots of great pick up men down stateside-the kids deserved better.

flyingS said:
I am not trying to pick a fight, but Northern Rancher you are mistaken. I have protected cowboys, freestyled bull, and picked up broncs, I have never seen anything like that. In the US we flank bulls. Broncs don't come at you. Not taking anything away from your horse either. Give credit where credit is due. That demonstration makes it look way easier than it is. Very impressive, Spanish or not.

flyingS, you have to remember that NR has a whole pasture full of horses that would put Merlin to shame. so an average horse like Merlin surely wouldn't impress him.

NR, i don't know why you keep comparing Merlin to pickup horses. i can't say this for sure, but i don't think he is one. i will say this....i would bet you that a person could take Merlin and go pick up broncs with the best of them, i would also bet you that you would have to go through 100 pickup horses to find one to do what Merlin does and at his level.

Latest posts