• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NPPD R-Project across the Sandhills

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
Just curious if there is anyone else on here that is affected by the proposed R-Project, a 345,000-volt transmission line across Nebraska. The third round of 'open houses' is coming up in March. I am very much opposed to this project, and have brought my concerns before them to no avail. We have land in both corridors across our county. The south corridor would cross us for 7 miles, and the north corridor for either 1-3 miles, depending on where exactly the line is placed.

This is a 220 mile project, and I realize I probably can't stop it. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else in its path has any thoughts, or if there is anyone that has dealt with this before that has suggestions on things to discuss and negotiate about when dealing with a large power company. The eminent domain laws are weak in Nebraska, so just feeling like this is a battle that can't be won.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions.

Here's the link to the project:

www.nppd.com/rproject

They just built one down our valley to the north. Thankfully, it goes east before it gets as far south as we are. But we still see it when traveling and it sure an eyesore. But, it does send power to folks who need it, provide jobs while it was built and for power generation and coal miners, so my feelings are mixed. :? It just looks weird but maybe someday i'll get used to it.

These subjects always gets some people riled up. Everybody likes to be able to flip the switch and have light as cheap as possible also like to be able to turn the thermostat up one degree and not wory where the gas comes from. And when not all he'll breaks loose. We have a pretty major gas line that goes through 4 pivots that we have. They added another line right next to it about 6 years ago. Two of the pivots had two spots each where the pivot got stuck after a while when the trench caved in. Usually right about time the corn is tasseling. ;). Also had a spot in one pivot where they had to did it up because they could tell there was a spot that was rusting because after initial weld they didn't get it coated good enough. They had to do this during irrigating season. And they were none to fast about getting it done. Anyway it is a huge pain in the behind, but it's got to go somewhere and they compensate for what they do pretty good. Would I rather it was on someone else's ground sure but any of these are basicly a loosing battle once you try to get them to go somewhere else. They have planned these routes to be the best long before they go around telling everybody what their doing.

Having Fort Peck Dam with its hydroelectric generators we have major power lines going about every direction out of the county... Except for sight of seeing the large transmission towers/lines- they have been no problem... In fact they have been a benefit- because of their looping ability on the grid, being able to switch from one source to another during power outages...
And WAPA has been a good neighbor as far as assisting local governments with use of equipment for such things as search and rescue...

Our ranch was homesteaded in 1885. I'm the 5th generation to run the ranch. In my mind, I've put my whole heart into ranching, raising good cattle, and taking care of the land. To have a project like this shoved down my throat whether I like it or not just doesn't sit well with me. My opposition to this project is based on many different things. First off, this line is supposedly going to help transfer some of the energy from wind farms to places where it is needed more. They said at the open houses that most of the power running through this line will be used in Kansas and Oklahoma. This line will not benefit me in the least bit. (I'll come back to that point) Secondly, regardless of how many feel wind energy is going to be the answer to our energy needs in the future, the wind energy industry is still HEAVILY subsidized. It may be a good source down the road, but it needs to be able to stand on its own two feet before we become too reliant on it. Coal is still a more reliable form of energy.

Also, as leanin' H already stated, it will be a huge eyesore. Most of the ground affected in our area doesn't even have power or any buildings/improvements right now, just rolling sandhill pastures and good hay meadows. The construction of the line will take its toll on the ground. This isn't hard ground...our sandy soil is very fragile. Yes, helicopters may be used some, but much of the line they will try to construct from the ground. Most of these pastures never see anything more than a cow, horse, or 4-wheeler, and wildlife. We've fought our way through the drought these last couple of years, sold good cows in order to keep from abusing our land and to be good stewards of it, and now they will attempt to drive heavy equipment and cement trucks to places we would never dream of. Every one of the presenters at the open house was from out of state...and when asked they have never worked with the Sandhills, but assured us they would have the ground restored to its original condition within a year or two. That isn't the way our ground works, and once they construct the line and leave you can be sure you'll never see them again...its the landowners left to deal with the aftermath.

Also, they claim it's just a 'coincidence' that this line ends up at a substation where it can benefit and provide power to the Keystone XL pipeline. Don't get me started on that...

The proposed line crosses right over the very unique prairie chicken booming grounds we have...it's simply amazing to watch them. Also, what effect will this line and the radiation have on the health of people and cattle? How will it affect land values?

Not sure how familiar you are with Agenda 21, or the development/implementation of Smart Grid technology, or with Technocracy, but I would encourage anyone to look into it. NPPD claims this line will 'enhance reliability, reduce congestion, and provide opportunities for interconnection of renewable generation resources.' I'm not against progress, but I am against control. This line isn't necessary to keep my lights on, rather it is part of a bigger plan to incorporate Smart Grid. These projects are happening all around the country. They claim Smart Grid will help as they can monitor from a computer somewhere what appliance you use and at what time of day, and will help with 'peak' loads to be able to 'move' electricity, but you have to understand that it also gives them the power to shut you down.
I'll quit now before this gets too lengthy...maybe I've been listening to Glenn Beck too much. :) I don't think you can view everything as a conspiracy, or be paranoid, but I also have trouble believing the government has my best interests in mind. Look at how many areas of your life they are trying to control...health care is at the top of everyone's list right now. These are just some of my concerns and opinion...not asking or expecting anyone to agree with everything I said, but just my thoughts.

I can appreciate your concern, especially with all that is going on in our country.

The BPA (Bonneville Power Authority) put in a huge transmission line on the west side of the Continental Divide in the mountains in Montana back in the late 80's. It was fought tooth and nail, but was constructed anyway. They did a lot of work with helicopters (very interesting to watch) and upon completion, colored the towers so they weren't easily noticeable. That line hasn't even been part of a conversation for years. It never bothered or hurt anything that I can recall.

If they don't build these lines, what is the alternative? It could be something worse.

90% of the things we worry about never seem to happen. I wish the best for you and hope that what you are concerned about turns out like the BPA line and isn't much of an issue down the road.

At one point I'm sure a lot of people were complaining about roads being built and cutting through their properties. I don't know to many people that don't like getting on interstate and winding her up to get somewhere. Some people just don't like progress.

Faster horses said:
I can appreciate your concern, especially with all that is going on in our country.

The BPA (Bonneville Power Authority) put in a huge transmission line on the west side of the Continental Divide in the mountains in Montana back in the late 80's. It was fought tooth and nail, but was constructed anyway. They did a lot of work with helicopters (very interesting to watch) and upon completion, colored the towers so they weren't easily noticeable. That line hasn't even been part of a conversation for years. It never bothered or hurt anything that I can recall.

If they don't build these lines, what is the alternative? It could be something worse.

90% of the things we worry about never seem to happen. I wish the best for you and hope that what you are concerned about turns out like the BPA line and isn't much of an issue down the road.

Thanks for the insight Faster Horses...I hope you're right too.

Nebraska Sandhills I feel your frustration, we were proposed to have 20 miles of new transmission line run right past my place. Thank God that changed when they proposed the new pipeline rout.
I'm a Utility Lineman by trade and rancher at heart, a lot of this crap was going through my district so I know how NPPD operate's. The line you are referring to is south of my district.
I had to go to meeting's at NPPD's office 3yr's ago and listen to the genius's tell us about these transmission project's and getting right of way through eminent domain. I had a very lengthy argument with their people over eminent domain, as a land owner I told them that it was a chicken **** way of bullying land owner's. All I got out of them were blank stare's, I'm a Lineman I should be all for project's like these, Wrong!
I'm a rancher on the side, and we have hundred's of mile's of line through the sandhill's and it pains me to drive our 4x4 trucks across the hill's. Not to mention people's meadow's, most of the time we can't help it the work has to be done, but we sure can tear the hell out of a place.
Contractor's from out of town wont give a damn, and you and me both know how this fragile land heals. It's been a bear during this drought just to keep my place from blowing away, and nothing but cattle on it for traffic.
You are right as far as there is nothing you can do to fight it. They will just shove it down everyone's throat :mad:
The one thing I want to leave you with is to not be to hard on your local REA, they don't have a dime in project's like this, we get told where they will be built!
Sorry for the rant I just wanted to give a Lineman's perspective and Good Luck!

Nebraska Sandhills I want to apologize if my previous post came across as an attack on you. I don't live in the Sandhills like you and won't have to deal with anything like you talked about as to results of them disturbing the ground. My only point I was trying to make was projects as big as this are pretty much always going to happen. It sucks but in my opinion a person just has to make the best of it. I know from others that hireing a lawer and trying to stop these is just a waste of money and time. I hope it does work out for you.

They ran oil pipe line thru this area 5 or 6 years ago the people who had it go thru their land were paid hansomly for the progress to bad my place was to far east. Everyone want's oil electricity gas and phone lines but not in my backyard.

As a lineman myself, i add my agreement to what AC said. The folks up high make the decisions that the local guys have to deal with forever.

I appreciate the value and work and stewardship you have invested in your place. It is much more than dirt! Who cares about some check for an easement when they are destroying decades of care and planning. Our fragile desert land doesnt do very well when heavy machinery is involved either, so i sure feel your pain. What may heal quickly in Vermont or Minnesota may take 50 years out here because of the differences in soils, moisture amounts, ect.

And the attitude some have baffles me. Just because somebody wants to pay you to crap in your bed, doesnt mean it's worth it. YOU will be sleeping there long after the cash is spent. The fact that our government is gigantic and forces these things on us without our consent is spooky! But it's all for the collective good Comrade! :shock:

If it crossed my place i'd want lot's of money and a reverse type royalty that will pay me to rehabilitate the land after they leave and protect me when they have to maintain it in the future. If it has to be built across your place, make em' pay as much as you can squeeze em' for! But don't hold your breath cause immenent domian is the ultimate "Do what the hell ya want card"!

Don't fight them work with them and get everything spelled out in the contract on how the land has to be resotred and roads build. Look at as an opportunity to have some access roads build on someones elses dime. If possible only lease them and easement instead of transferring title to the power corridor and remember to keep water and mineral rights to the land. The power and gas line improvements in this area have bee quite profitable to the land owners lately.

Good luck with decision and out come.

Even tho' a transmission line through here goes through timberland, they wouldn't pay a cent for the easement nor towards future timber loss of income from clearing the right of way. They'll just condemn it and take it if they choose.

Seems like at least once per week, someone affiliated with the transmission line is riding through and for one reason or another rutting it when wet and sometimes leaving gates open. Have seen them cut fences when they didn't know where gates are.

No structures can EVER be placed on the easement and ones there now will be removed.

No electricity will be available from that transmission line in remote areas. So don't think you can ever tap into it if you need electricity along the route.

Basically, it's for the good of many others but not for the good of the land route owners.

Organize ALL owners in your area and hire an attorney that has your best interest at heart. You'll be glad you did.

I certainly agree with your opinion about wind generation. It is nothing but another wealth transfer from the poor and middle class to politically connected crony capitalists. Apart from that, we have had high voltage lines cross our farm and pasture. We also have a pipeline crossing our place. The ranch that we rent has two high voltage lines crossing it and part of the land it crosses is every bit as fragile as anything in the sandhills. The towers have fence around them in the worst parts and the damage is really negligible. Having had a pipeline on our property for my whole life we have seen quite a bit of work done on it and the damage has always been minimal when they have to do work on it. There has never been a rupture or spill in my lifetime.

I guess what I am getting at is that this can be done without a large disturbance. I don't necessarily like looking at it but you get used to it and after a while you really don't even notice it. If we are going to enjoy the lifestyle that we have these pipelines and power lines have to be built somewhere and someone is going to be inconvenienced. Having said all of that, I would still be highly irritated if I knew that a power line was specifically being built to carry power generated by wind. As soon as the political climate changes wind power is going to be as unfavored as ethanol is and I worry about what will happen to these lines then.

With the wind Farms going in Wyoming legislator pass that feeder lines besides paying the easement pay the land owner a % of the electricity that goes thru that line. Power companies took it to court, think it still there.

Living in Kansas I sure wish we had the public owned power districts and the infrastructure that Nebraska has. The cost of some of my friends power just 10 miles away in Nebraska is pry a third less than ours in kansas. I rent grass in the sandhills of Nebraska and the guy the watches our cows has a way better power supply to his place than we do here and there is pry an avg. Of one house per section here still, not near that where he is located.

If you have prairie chicken booming grounds you place get to your NRCS office and check out the protection programs they have. Many are available.

Hope it all works out, just like other s said work with them to get done in the least destructive way.

While I understand why people push back against thing that are subsidized. But things have to start somewhere. The wind towers seem like a good way to make energy without using stuff that others need. I understand that they might not be self Suficient right now but eventually the fossil fuel are going to run out. There seems to be a generational gap as to wether these are worth doing or not. We can't as a country just use all the recorces and just say the hell with whoever is still around when it's gone. We are having some of the same dilemmas over water where I live. Some of the older people want to just pump until the water runs out and everyone left is just hosed.

I can somewhat sympathize with not wanting disturbance for all the reasons listed, yet it seems to be so easy to be a NIMBY and fight what appears to benefit only others.

It is pretty easy to believe only we are doing things right, and doing the right things for our own particular piece of this earth.

We all want a little luxury in our lives, with running water, electricity, and fuel, yet it pains us to see the means of getting it delivered! Such is life and 'progress' (which too often isn't).

Or, do we want to go back to 'those good old days' with no electricity or fuels delivered to the door of even remote, rural homes? Many farms and ranches had what was regarded as top of the line wind power in western SD as early as the 1920's or '30's. That had failed, or been found in-adequate by the late'40's, and we got REA in the '50's.

I have noticed that most newer power lines and other 'crossings' of private lands have been done well, paid well, as others have stated. I also had a relative who worked on a line in the southwest USA where they used helicopters, AND donkeys to haul equipment/supplies into fragile areas. That was his area of 'expertise', and it wasn't easy work!

Maybe those who are adamantly opposed to the new power lines being built or proposed, to serve more people, even if in far away places, need to give up their own public power sources in order to be taken seriously in that opposition!

I would like to see more reports by those who have had experience with modern, say in the past 5-10 years, power or pipe line building. The Keystone line is scheduled to go near us, and we have heard mostly good reports of treatment of land owners where the lines are to go through. We like the point that the company will be paying generous taxes, at the county level, where it too much of the burden falls on landowners. They also will be re-building and maintaining county roads to gain access to their facilities built in the area.

I believe in our area, at least, those deals where your power use is monitored, are voluntary, aren't they, and involve some compensation or cut in rate?

More power is just a fact of life, and I sure wouldn't want others to prevent me from the benefit of needed fuel/power sources, and who really would???

mrj

Latest posts