• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

nr, glad you're back!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Did you remember the reason I got on ranchers long ago was for cattle info for this historical novel?

It is based on my husband's relatives who kept diaries when they went to the gold rush and civil war. One also became a ranchero and I knew nothing about ranches or how far cattle can walk in a day etc Anyway, you folks were very kind filling in all my questions. So I hung around and didn't get much writing done!

Hope your haying is going well and doesn't get moldy- no chance in this heat I guess. Whew!

What else is happinin'?

Soapweed said:
How is your novel coming along, nr? Seems like ages ago when you and Craig stopped by. Tell him "hi."

Well, I wrote some of my ranchersnet friends into the novel (in one form or another) your ranch being one used for description, Soapweed.

nr said:
Soapweed said:
How is your novel coming along, nr? Seems like ages ago when you and Craig stopped by. Tell him "hi."

Well, I wrote some of my ranchersnet friends into the novel (in one form or another) your ranch being one used for description, Soapweed.

So is the novel completed yet? Sounds like quite a project. It is hard enough trying to tell the truth, let alone coming up with believable fiction. :wink: :)

Soapweed said:
nr said:
Soapweed said:

So is the novel completed yet? Sounds like quite a project. It is hard enough trying to tell the truth, let alone coming up with believable fiction. :wink: :)
Yes agreed. Though this is a cross between actual history, much of it comes straight from the diaries, but then had to be padded out. So does it sound believable that there was a Spearhead Ranch in California in 1853 that grew PEACHES?

nr said:
Soapweed said:
nr said:

Yes agreed. Though this is a cross between actual history, much of it comes straight from the diaries, but then had to be padded out. So does it sound believable that there was a Spearhead Ranch in California in 1853 that grew PEACHES?

nr said:
And raised FASTER HORSES?

Of course. :)

Well, we'll see. Craig has been editing it and finding lots of numerical problems- the curse of being an engineer- things that didn't seem worth defining in a novel to my way of thinking ...now have to be defined.

I'd hoped it would be finished this summer. Now that might not happen.

I knew that there was a Louis Rubidoux (Robidou) who was born in St. Louis, MO, that had a large ranch in California and had a winery and a flour mill in the 1800's.
Ancestry.com tells me that I am his 3rd cousin 4 times removed.
His brother Joseph Robidoux, founded St. Joseph, MO.

Martin Jr. said:
I knew that there was a Louis Rubidoux (Robidou) who was born in St. Louis, MO, that had a large ranch in California and had a winery and a flour mill in the 1800's.
Ancestry.com tells me that I am his 3rd cousin 4 times removed.
His brother Joseph Robidoux, founded St. Joseph, MO.
Some folks did really well back then. And then there were our relatives...

The Robidou's didn't always do that well. I had a great, great grandfather, Joseph Etienne Robidou, who was listed on a baptism record around 1800, at St. Regis, New York as a "poor beggar living on Indian lands".
The Robidou's were my grandmother's line, the first one to come to Canada (from Spain, not France) Andre, had two sons and two daughters and after his death his widow married Jacques Surprenant. Pierre Elliott Trudeau's grandmother was a Surprenant, a descendant of Jacques.
There were Trudeau's back a few generations on Dad's father's family too.

Martin Jr. said:
The Robidou's didn't always do that well. I had a great, great grandfather, Joseph Etienne Robidou, who was listed on a baptism record around 1800, at St. Regis, New York as a "poor beggar living on Indian lands".
The Robidou's were my grandmother's line, the first one to come to Canada (from Spain, not France) Andre, had two sons and two daughters and after his death his widow married Jacques Surprenant. Pierre Elliott Trudeau's grandmother was a Surprenant, a descendant of Jacques.
That sounds like a fascinating family tree you've got. It would be so interesting if we could find out all the people we are genetically related to, where they came from and their life stories way back in time. I wanna be a Time Traveler in a time machine.

Martin Jr. said:

My sister is married to a Rabideau who has relatives in Eastern Ontario and up in Manitoba where they just attended a reunion a few weeks ago.

But after the mess created by a certain federal, Liberal government here a couple of decades ago, it takes a brave person to admit to being related to a Trudeau . . . :?

All the Robidou's, Rabidoux's, Roubideaux or whatever spelling in North America are descended from Andre Robidou who came to Canada and was married about 1665 to one of the 'filles de Roy' or 'Kings daughters' that the French government paid the way for them to migrate.
I have a book by Duane Rabidou that lists many of the descendants.

I knew that Trudeau was not very popular in Canada.

All the Robidou's, Rabidoux's, Roubideaux or whatever spelling in North America are descended from Andre Robidou who came to Canada and was married about 1665 to one of the 'filles de Roy' or 'Kings daughters' that the French government paid the way for them to migrate.
I have a book by Duane Rabidou that lists many of the descendants.

I knew that Trudeau was not very popular in Canada.

katrina said:
I'm thinking we need a book club and review on here...LOL
LOL-That gives me an idea, Katrina. If I posted part of the ranching chapter that includes a few of you (in a variety of favorable and unfavorable forms) who I've met through Ranchers, would you critique it for credibility and other problems, if you think that would be fun?

Latest posts