• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

O36 daughter for Faster Horses

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Breeder

Reaction score
She is a four year old B/R New Design O36 out of a Traveler 124 cow.
ShadyBrookEverEntense179H.jpg

The picture has been used in the marketing of offspring. She has somewhere around 75 head of registered calves. She has not had any sons go to the stud yet, however several daughters who have been top sellers at several sales.

Angus Breeder said:
EXCELLENT pedigree base - Fine phenotype. What are her numbers??? EPD's? % Ratios? Did you get this cow from Rishel at their Sale Sunday????????? If so - - what Lot #?? Talk to me!! Talk to me!!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,
The cow has a BW EPD of 2.1, WW 45, YW 89, Milk 27, $B 49.12. She shows 51 calves rationing 106 for IMF, 51@99 for REA, 51@108 at weaning, and 51@101 at Yearling. She did not come from Rishels. They however had a good sale. The top heifer brought 17,000 and 80 lots averaged $4400. There was another sale in North Platte Nebraska last weekend(Baldridge Bros.) the top cow out of that one brought 215,000 and the who thing averaged 12,000 on 90 head. All in all a pretty good day for angus in Nebraska.

Faster horses said:
Angus Breeder do you own this particular cow?
FH - when I saw the title of this post, I thought that it was your cow! We have been in So. Calif. (UGH!!!) for 10 days, and just got back last night, so I have been off the forum for a while. This is a W-A-A--Y-Y-Y better Angus cow than the average. Who owns her? To whom is she bred?

DOC HARRIS

Express Angus Ranches in Ok owns this particular cow. We own a daughter and a full sister both of whom are too young to be pictured yet. I thought you guys that have used the New Desig line might be intrested in seeing a nationally recognized daughter of the original bull(O36). To the best of my knowledge the cow is bring used exclusivley in an Embryo Transfer program and not expected to have a natural for a long time.

Angus Breeder said:
Express Angus Ranches in Ok owns this particular cow. We own a daughter and a full sister both of whom are too young to be pictured yet. I thought you guys that have used the New Desig line might be intrested in seeing a nationally recognized daughter of the original bull(O36). To the best of my knowledge the cow is bring used exclusivley in an Embryo Transfer program and not expected to have a natural for a long time.
Ah Ha-a I understand competely! She is a FINE donor, and I would flush her as often as I could also. You are fortunate to have a corner on those genetics and I would savor them carefully.

DOC HARRIS

Murgen

She is your typical O36 daughter. If I was going to improve on her I would proably change the set to her legs. She is just a little to shallow in her pastern for me.

Angus Breeder said:
Murgen

She is your typical O36 daughter. If I was going to improve on her I would proably change the set to her legs. She is just a little to shallow in her pastern for me.

I'll jump in and answer this too. I'd like to see a tad more butt on her. Her udder needs some work. Teats about half that size is more than adequate and I'd add more floor and structure to her udder. Other than that she is a SOLID cow both phenotypcially and EPDwise.

I'd turn her out in real world conditions with a calf at side then judge her in the fall if she came in open send her to town now remember FEEDS THE BREED.Open cows are easy to keep in a fleshy condition 4 year old in a flush program to me that in it self is not doing anything but chaseing fads but hey if you can sell it go for it.

Another thing about EPD #s they are only as good as the breeder you submit's them.

$215,000 for 1 cow it's rich people playing kind of like racehorses no differance.

Someday people will ask what breed is that and the reply will be well ahhhhh"I think she corn soybean and alfalfa.

The cow is PRETTY but functional in the real world I doubt.

Real seedstock breeder's should run their Reg.Cows harder than the cow calf operation's of that area....

Ever notice these big so called "Ranches" calve all year long WHY???????

Denny said:
I'd turn her out in real world conditions with a calf at side then judge her in the fall if she came in open send her to town now remember FEEDS THE BREED.Open cows are easy to keep in a fleshy condition 4 year old in a flush program to me that in it self is not doing anything but chaseing fads but hey if you can sell it go for it.

Another thing about EPD #s they are only as good as the breeder you submit's them.

$215,000 for 1 cow it's rich people playing kind of like racehorses no differance.

Someday people will ask what breed is that and the reply will be well ahhhhh"I think she corn soybean and alfalfa.

The cow is PRETTY but functional in the real world I doubt.

Real seedstock breeder's should run their Reg.Cows harder than the cow calf operation's of that area....

Ever notice these big so called "Ranches" calve all year long WHY???????
Denny, I don't know what kind of operation you run but at my place the cows with this kind of depth of chest and guts will work for me. I don't know a thing about black pedigrees but I'll take them like her all day long.

I just have a real problem with flushing pedigree's let the cow prove herself than flush her. Kind of like flushing heifer's makes no sense.

Same differance as using unproven bulls it's a gamble..

I just think mother nature should sort cows.Once they prove they can make it in the REAL world have at it.That cow look great but here in the real world we make it on efficent cattle is she?maybe,maybe not..

Denny,

I get the feeling you had a bad experience with a registered animal falling apart on you, and that is unfourtanate. However remember we are raising animals in the Ozarks which means fescue. An animal that can make it on fescue can make it anywhere. Yes we do push our animals to be heavier than that of a commercial program, but have very few problems with feet and legs, udders, and cows/bulls melting in the pasture. I have to credit a lot of this to the way the cattle were fed. We are not feeding for a prolonged time just long enough to acheive the ideal marbling and ribeye growth and then ultrasound and start working those cattle off feed. It is a policy of ours that no one takes possesion of a bull or heifer until we have had time to backe them off the feed and adjust them to fescue hay where they can go into the real world and be excellent forage converters. We are truly forage producers and use the cattle to help the forage management to a certian degree.

Angus Breeder said:

Angus breeder is it possible for you to post a link with the picture of this 036 daughter like you did in the other Post entitled Double Bred 036 daughter? For some reason photobucket is inaccessible on this computer. BTW I have an 036 daughter that is supposed to calve in Feb. and so far I'm not too impressed with her, especially since I think she is out of one of my better cows. But it could have been a little too much of the same genetics, as this cow as well as others in my herd are granddaughters of B/R N Design 16, the full brother of 036. I still have 3 straws of 036 and am considering a flush one day. I have been told to flush him to a cow with lots of "guts" and with no N Trend 315 in their immediate pedigree
. I kind of hate to spend that money but the 036 genetics, it seems, is still some very good genetics to have in your herd, especially with respect to carcass.

TSR,

I did not post "A Double Bred O36 For Faster Horses" However, if you pm me with your e-mail I would be more than happy to send you a picture. You have heard correctly on breeding advice. A good deep female with a great set of feet and legs will make a perfect canidate for 036.

Latest posts