• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Obama backs mosque near Ground Zero

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Why am I not surprised? :mad:

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama on Friday forcefully endorsed allowing a mosque near ground zero, saying the country's founding principles demanded no less.

"As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances," he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

Obama made the comments at an annual dinner in the White House State Dining Room celebrating the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.

The White House had not previously taken a stand on the mosque, which would be part of a $100 million Islamic center two blocks from where nearly 3,000 people perished when hijacked jetliners slammed into the World Trade Center towers on Sept. 11, 2001. Press secretary Robert Gibbs had insisted it was a local matter.

It was already much more than that, sparking debate around the country as top Republicans including Sarah Palin and Newt Gingrich announced their opposition. So did the Anti-Defamation League, a Jewish civil rights group.

Obama elevated it to a presidential issue Friday without equivocation.

While insisting that the place where the twin towers once stood was indeed "hallowed ground," Obama said that the proper way to honor it was to apply American values.

"Our capacity to show not merely tolerance, but respect towards those who are different from us — and that way of life, that quintessentially American creed, stands in stark contrast to the nihilism of those who attacked us on that September morning, and who continue to plot against us today," he said.

Obama harkened back to earlier times when the building of synagogues or Catholic churches also met with opposition. "But time and again, the American people have demonstrated that we can work through these issues, and stay true to our core values and emerge stronger for it," he said. "So it must be and will be today."

New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, an independent who has been a strong supporter of the mosque, welcomed Obama's words as a "clarion defense of the freedom of religion."

But some Republicans were quick to pounce.

"President Obama is wrong," said Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y. "It is insensitive and uncaring for the Muslim community to build a mosque in the shadow of ground zero. While the Muslim community has the right to build the mosque they are abusing that right by needlessly offending so many people who have suffered so much."

Entering the highly charged election-year debate, Obama surely knew that his words would not only make headlines but be heard by Muslims worldwide. The president has made it a point to reach out to the global Muslim community, and the over 100 guests at Friday's dinner included ambassadors and officials from numerous Muslim nations, including Saudi Arabia and Indonesia. Seated around candlelit tables, they listened closely as Obama spoke, then stood and applauded when the president finished his remarks.

While his pronouncement concerning the mosque might find favor in the Muslim world, Obama's stance runs counter to the opinions of the majority of Americans, according to polls. A CNN/Opinion Research poll released this week found that nearly 70 percent of Americans opposed the mosque plan while just 29 percent approved. A number of Democratic politicians have shied away from the controversy.

The group behind the $100 million project, the Cordoba Initiative, describes it as a Muslim-themed community center. Early plans call not only for prayer space but for a swimming pool, culinary school, art studios and other features. Developers envision it as a hub for interfaith interaction, as well as a place for Muslims to bridge some of their faith's own schisms.

Opponents, including some Sept. 11 victims' relatives, see the prospect of a mosque so near the destroyed trade center as an insult to the memory of those killed by Islamic terrorists in the 2001 attacks. Some of the Sept. 11 victims' relatives, however, are in favor.

The mosque has won approval from local planning boards but faces legal challenges, and New York's Conservative Party is planning a television ad campaign to pressure a New York City utility to use its power to block the project.

Some comments that followed the article:

Everyone bend over now and take it, because this is the future unfortunately.. Its s easy to sit here and POST our feelings rather than letting our voices be heard in other ways such as voting, rallying and down right forcefully mitigate ongoing damage.
Thomas Jefferson once wrote...
"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny."

"What country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."

I have never felt so patriotic for my country and mourn the loss of such great ideals.
--------------------------------
Mr. President i voted for you because you promised change. Though things have been tough i was proud to see that you was fighting for us lower & middle class folk. With that said Mr. President, your comments about the mega "insult" mosque has just cost you MY VOTE. Conservatives are right you will be a 1 term president and i'll make sure that my vote goes Republican come 2012.. Obama i believe you are a muslim a wolf in sheeps clothing who faked a lot of Americans in thinking you was an honest man. Nope you are muslim sympathizer and you have no place here among REAL AMERICANS!
----------------------
What a slap in the face to all those who lost loved ones on 9/11, and to all Americans in general. This president has bowed down to kiss every foreign @#$% on the planet, and at the same time sold us down the river.[/i]

"As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country," Obama said, weighing in for the first time on a controversy that has riven New York City and the nation.

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances,"
he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

While I don't like the idea of the building of a mosque or any other type of religious center at that site-- I think this echos essentially what Steve posted...If we are going to follow the laws of the country- and our Constitution- then they have as much right to build there as anyone else....

And not counting the terrorists- there were somewhere around 70 Muslim religion followers killed in the WTC- some of which were emergency personell like Police, Fire, EMS, and ambulance drivers- besides many that worked there..... WTC- actually meant WORLD trade center...

I wonder how much that chunk of land cost them? And how much it would be worth at an open auction tomorrow to those not wanting the center built?

It seems obvious to me that the Muslims want to get in America's face
with this. They are making a statement. If they cared, really cared,
about this country, they would be sensitive to the people who lost
loved ones in that attack. If they were wanting to 'get along' with us,
so to speak, they wouldn't be doing this. It would not matter that
they could, they would not...out of respect...this atrocity shows
they have no respect for this country. They are on a mission.
And guess what that mission is? :mad:

Oldtimer said:

"That includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances,"
he said. "This is America, and our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

While I don't like the idea of the building of a mosque or any other type of religious center at that site-- I think this echos essentially what Steve posted...If we are going to follow the laws of the country- and our Constitution- then they have as much right to build there as anyone else....

And not counting the terrorists- there were somewhere around 70 Muslim religion followers killed in the WTC- some of which were emergency personell like Police, Fire, EMS, and ambulance drivers- besides many that worked there..... WTC- actually meant WORLD trade center...

I wonder how much that chunk of land cost them? And how much it would be worth at an open auction tomorrow to those not wanting the center built?

so you appove of Government funding the expansion of religion?

What happened to separation of church and State?

Do you think it is right that the backers behind this mosque believe that they can influence the US enough to bring in sharia law?

Whatever happened to your criticism of Bush bringing up gog and magog and "missions from God" or in this case "missions from Allah"

St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church stood in the shadow of the World Trade Center and was crushed under the rubble when the towers collapsed on September 11, 2001. Almost nine years later it has still not been rebuilt; the rebuilding project is mired in bureaucracy, with New York City officials being uncooperative and throwing up roadblock after roadblock.

StNicholasWTC.jpg

The contrast is telling with the mad rush on the part of New York City officials to build the Islamic supremacist mega-mosque at Ground Zero, sweeping aside calls to landmark the Burlington Coat Factory building, into which crashed the landing gear from one of the 9/11 planes, as a war memorial -- despite the fact that buildings of far lesser historical significance have been designated as landmarks in New York.

From a March 2009 New York Times story on the church (where, incidentally, my mother was baptized):

Last July, the Port Authority and the Greek Orthodox Church announced a tentative plan to rebuild the church just east of its original site, at Liberty and Greenwich Streets. The authority agreed to provide the church with land for a 24,000-square-foot house of worship, far larger than the original, and $20 million. Since the church would be built in a park over the bomb-screening center, the authority also agreed to pay up to $40 million for a blast-proof platform and foundation.

In recent negotiations, the authority cut the size of the church slightly and told church officials that its dome could not rise higher than the trade center memorial.

But a thirteen-story mega-mosque? Fine!
Unable to rebuild their church, the St. Nicholas congregation has held St. Nicholas Day services in a tent at Ground Zero:

nyctent01.jpg

But a thirteen-story Islamic supremacist mega-mosque headed by a pro-Sharia, anti-free speech imam who refuses to denounce Hamas and has a history of duplicitous statements? Let's clear aside every hurdle, tar opponents as bigots, and get that baby built!

Maybe now that obama has decided to speak for this mosque, instead of it being a "local issue" as he first said, OT will also be for other Chuches being endorsed by the Federal Government.

Grandad said:
And Shamwow asks...And the evidence against muslims is what?
And I ask WTF are you talking about?

No muslims were arrested on 9/11, only mossad agents were arrested on 9/11. they got caught with bombs.

what evidence is there against the muslims?

Osama Bin Laden is not even wanted by the FBI for 9/11 as the FBI states there is no evidence against him.

So, I ask you, what evidence is there against the Muslims for 9/11?

shaumei said:
Grandad said:

No muslims were arrested on 9/11, only mossad agents were arrested on 9/11. they got caught with bombs.

Osama Bin Laden is not even wanted by the FBI for 9/11 as the FBI states there is no evidence against him.

an admission of guilt.

hypocritexposer said:
shaumei said:
Grandad said:

an admission of guilt.

by whom? the videos were faked. OBL was already dead when the video was made. it is not him. review it yourself.

but, I can say I killed Elvis, that loser said he killed Jon Benet, but was released.

I ask you where is the evidence.

kalid sheik mohammad....the government blamed everything including jfk on him...

they are all lies...btw, he is dead as well per my research. see if he shows up for any trials...see if you can find a recent photo taken of him?

shaumei said:
kalid sheik mohammad....the government blamed everything including jfk on him...

they are all lies...btw, he is dead as well per my research. see if he shows up for any trials...see if you can find a recent photo taken of him?

We're you expecting his family to post reunion photos on the net. :lol: :lol:

Shamwow, you would be well advised to avoid getting any of your written word in your mouth... Cuz it's horsesh!t.
Sham poo or real poo? I call real poo.

Faster horses said:
Obama backs mosque near Ground Zero
If I'm not mistaken, the great Muslim cleric Glenn Beck also supports their right to have it there. :wink:

And so do I. For the same reasons that OT gives - the Constitutional issue and the issue of private property rights. If anybody doesn't like it, they need to buy the property and then do what they want with it.

However, I don't for one minute believe that the property rights issue is what is important to President Obama. He is clearly once again pandering to the Muslim world. He would have been much better off if he had stuck to the line he has had Gibbs spouting about it - that it's a local issue.

Instead, he chose to interject himself into it just as he did in the Cambridge police matter. That not only shows that he didn't learn anything from that fiasco, it shows that his leadership skills are still lacking and that he hasn't yet grown into the job.

Grandad said:
Shamwow, you would be well advised to avoid getting any of your written word in your mouth... Cuz it's horsesh!t.
Sham poo or real poo? I call real poo.

prove me wrong...i am giving you the truth for the first time....just like when your mom told you there was no Santa. you get pissed..

but, not one person here has been able to bring evidence to prove me wrong....

can you?

i suggest you turn off fox news and start investigating things yourself....

Poll: New Yorkers oppose mosque, recognize constitutionality

Posted: August 18th, 2010 10:47 AM ET

From CNN's Jeff Simon

(CNN) – New York voters oppose by a nearly 2-to-1 margin plans to build an Islamic community center and mosque near Ground Zero in Manhattan, according to a new Siena Research Institute poll released Wednesday.

The same voters, however, overwhelmingly say the center's developers have a constitutional right to build it.

When asked if they "support or oppose the proposal to build the Cordoba House," New Yorkers said they oppose the facility, which is expected to cost $100 million, by a 63-27 percent margin. At the same time, by a 64-to-28 percent margin, New Yorkers say Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf has the constitutional right to build it.

shaumei said:

Capture photo and photo released on 9 September 2009:

shekieh460x276.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/09/khalid-sheikh-mohammed-photos

Next outrageous claim, please.

But yet they don't want to allow the local Greek Orthodox Community rebuilt their church building which was destroyed when the World Trade Center Towers collapsed.

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com/2010/08/new-york-officials-refuse-to-allow-christians-to-rebuild-church-destroyed-on-9-11/

Latest posts