• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Obama fires inspector general

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac

Reaction score
Is the message...don't mess with one of Obama's home boys?
Or maybe he was a New Black Panther also???

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/11/obama-plans-americorps-inspector-general-scandal/

The message is that he's the boss and he can fire whomever he pleases, kinda like Bush did when he fired all those atty's

The fact remains, that in 2008, a bill was passed (Obama was a co-sponsor), that was written to protect IG's from being fired, while investigating those that employ them.

The bill stated that 30 days notice and a reason for the firing was to be given to congress. it was a statute that Obama co-sponsor, that he did not respect.

Walpin in any statement/interview has said he was fired over the phone by a WH aide.

No 30 days, no reason given. Just a conclusion "Obama does not have faith in him anymore" He had been contacted by the WH a couple times in the weeks preceding this to garner support for Sotomoyer, who he says he supported totally.

I posted the interview yesterday from Fox. No Liberal media will interview him to get his side of the story, just Fox.

Here it is again for those that missed it,

Everyone that values the process of accountablity and regulation should be very concerned with what the "former" IG is saying in this interview.

Interesting part in this video is where the other guest explains that buried in the stimulus bill was a "clause" that allows for certain members of congress to advise IG's not to investigate certain cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esgJIiS-Cz4

kolanuraven said:
The message is that he's the boss and he can fire whomever he pleases, kinda like Bush did when he fired all those atty's

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain -- I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president." --as quoted in Bob Woodward's Bush at War

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

Well, that article knocks the heck out of transparency, rule of law, and fiscal responsibility and oversight.

Walpin in his interview with Fox, said this is sending shockwaves through the IG community.

They are fearful for their jobs, if they investigate the wrong person or go against the Stimulus clause that states that Congress can dictate which cases they investigate.

Reader said:
If you believe the WSJ, this is indeed a dirty story. I'm inclined to believe there's smoke and fire in this one.
What has Jim had to say about this on PBS?? :wink:

If this seems like small beer, keep in mind that Mr. Obama promised to carefully watch how every stimulus dollar is spent. In this case, the evidence suggests that his White House fired a public official who refused to roll over to protect a Presidential crony.
Kind of throws muddy water on that transparency thing...I wonder if Mr. Obama has been less than honest about other things! :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek: :?

Interestingly the fellow bringing the complaint is a career prosecuter and not a political appointee....

Acting United States Attorney
Lawrence G. Brown
Since March 2003, Mr. Brown has served as the First Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern District of California. In that position, he serves as the second-ranking official under United States Attorney McGregor Scott. Headquartered in Sacramento, the Eastern District is one of four federal districts in California, extending from the Oregon border to the north, Bakersfield to the south and covering California's central valley and the mountains to the east. Mr Brown supervises the office's 70 attorneys, including those in the district's branch office in Fresno, California. The United States Attorney's Office prosecutes individuals for various federal crimes and litigates civil defensive and affirmative cases on behalf of the United States.

Mr. Brown served as executive director of the California District Attorneys Association from 1996 to March 2003. His organization represented the 58 elected District Attorneys of California and included over 2,600 deputy prosecutor members. As executive director, Mr. Brown drafted criminal justice legislation and frequently testified before the California Legislature. Additionally, he served as chief spokesperson for the organization.

In 2001, he served as President of the National Association of Prosecutor Coordinators and Board Member of the National District Attorneys Association.

Mr. Brown began his career as a Deputy District Attorney with the Ventura County District Attorney's Office in Southern California. In 1993, he received that office's "Felony Prosecutor of the Year" award.

He is a 1989 graduate of the University of California, Davis School of law, receiving its Distinguished Alumni Award in 1999. Mr. Brown is also a Visiting Professor on Legislative Process and Statutory Interpretation at the law school.

RobertMac said:
Reader said:
If you believe the WSJ, this is indeed a dirty story. I'm inclined to believe there's smoke and fire in this one.
What has Jim had to say about this on PBS?? :wink:

If this seems like small beer, keep in mind that Mr. Obama promised to carefully watch how every stimulus dollar is spent. In this case, the evidence suggests that his White House fired a public official who refused to roll over to protect a Presidential crony.
Kind of throws muddy water on that transparency thing...I wonder if Mr. Obama has been less than honest about other things! :shock: :eek: :shock: :eek: :?

:lol: :lol:

The little Love-Fest going on here by OT and R2 is beginning to make me sick. :roll:

An official responsible for monitoring how federal funds for volunteerism are spent told FOX News he was fired by President Obama for doing his job, and suggested it was payback for investigating the alleged misuse of grant money by the Sacramento mayor, an Obama backer.

Gerald Walpin, who until last week was the chief internal watchdog for AmericCorps and other service programs, suggested "political pressure" was behind his ouster. He said he worried the action will have a "chilling effect" on other inspectors general.

Obama gave little explanation for the decision, writing in a letter sent Thursday that he no longer had the "fullest confidence" in Walpin.

The president's decision followed Walpin's investigation into the alleged misuse of federal grants by Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson, a former NBA star and an Obama supporter who heads a nonprofit education group.

"I am the victim of being fired because I was doing my job and doing it properly," Walpin told FOX News Tuesday. He said he could not let concern for "political pressure" interfere with his staff's pursuit of the investigation -- noting that it was his staff, not him personally, that pursued the inquiry.

He also defended the findings, saying AmeriCorps requested the investigation in the first place.

Walpin said the probe revealed that Johnson "misused" AmeriCorps volunteers for "personal purposes," by having them help in political campaigns and even wash his car.

"They never disputed it whatsoever," Walpin said. "And indeed the agency itself found that our statements were correct and our findings were correct."

Walpin, though, drew criticism elsewhere. After Walpin referred the matter to prosecutors in late 2008, the local U.S. attorney's office questioned Walpin's findings, saying they seemed overstated and did not accurately reflect all the information gathered.

Johnson's St. HOPE Academy released a statement last week after the firing, saying Walpin's allegations were "meritless" and not motivated by an "honest assessment" of the program.

The U.S. attorney's office nevertheless reached a settlement, under which Johnson and the academy reportedly were ordered to repay about half of nearly $847,000 in federal grants they received through AmeriCorps.

Walpin, though, said the agreement was signed "behind our back" and Johnson never was required to repay any money personally.

With his firing, Walpin said he's worried about the "chilling effect" it will have on his staff as well as other inspectors general who are supposed to be free to investigate independently concerns surrounding the agencies to which they're assigned.

He also raised concerns that Obama sidestepped a law he co-sponsored that requires the president to give 30 days notice, and a reason, for removing an IG.

Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., ranking Republican on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, wrote White House Counsel Gregory Craig a letter on Monday requesting additional documents, explanations and e-mails surrounding the firing.

In the letter, he said Obama may have "violated" the law by giving an explanation that was "insufficiently vague" and immediately terminating Walpin.

Though the Obama letter technically included a 30-day window, Issa said his committee's investigation revealed that Walpin was given scant notice. He wrote that Walpin was given one hour by White House staff to either resign or be fired. Walpin would not resign.

Issa noted growing speculation that the firing was "politically motivated" and retaliatory.

Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, who has been speaking up for the integrity and independence of federal inspectors general, also wrote a letter to Obama last week saying he was "deeply troubled" by the appearance that Walpin was given an "ultimatum" without sufficient notice.

"Inspectors general were designed to have a dual role reporting to both the president and Congress so that they would be free from undue political pressure," he wrote. "This independence is the hallmark of all inspectors general and is essential so they may operate independently, without political pressure or interference from agencies attempting to keep their failings from public scrutiny," he wrote.

Grassley agreed with Walpin, saying "it appears he has been doing his job."

Craig wrote Grassley saying Obama's decision was "carefully considered."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Oldtimer said:
kolanuraven said:

"I'm the commander -- see, I don't need to explain -- I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president." --as quoted in Bob Woodward's Bush at War

"I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office." --Washington, D.C., May 12, 2008

Put the quote in context OT....

I'm not running for the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm just trying to be a guy to use the influence of the United States to move the process along.

I hope that history will say that this is a guy who clearly saw the world the way it is. I can assure you that al-Qaida, Hamas and Hizbullah don't think about the comforts of life. They are driven. And the fundamental challenge facing this world is, well, countries like the United States, be prepared to continue to stay in the lead.

I'll be long gone before some smart person ever figures out what happened inside this Oval Office. But one of [those legacies] has got to be, he clearly saw the threat and he did something about it.

Latest posts