• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oct 10 to 21

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Finally got a chance to get one of my spring 2011 projects done. Our driveway has been getting wider and softer with each spring so I fixed it properly this go round. First I excavated as much of the gravel fill as I could to save haling more in and then rolled out the carpet. It is not red but it will have to do. :D
PA110593.jpg

Started covering it up, this far by lunchtime.
PA110594.jpg

Done by noon the next day.
PA120595.jpg

Gathering cows since then. A big wind we got 2 days after the Sept. 22 snow took a lot of dead trees down, Our stock trails have been a mess.
PA150596.jpg

A little powersaw work and sweat clears them off. We have close to 20 miles of trails that we maintain out of our own pocket. Other folk don't need to know where they are. :wink:
PA150597.jpg

Found three pair at Big Swamp.
PA150598.jpg

And another 8 pair at Lucy's Meadow later that day. Notice how breechy and wild they are from only being handled with dogs and a 4 wheeler. :wink:
PA160599.jpg

On the road to the Upper Meadow hay field.
PA160600.jpg

5 pair that found a hole in the drift fence about a mile from their range.
PA180603.jpg

They were pretty hard to handle too. :lol: Got them back to their range and picked up about 25 more pairs that day and took them most of the way to the Morrison Meadow place. Dropped them at the edge of a huge alligator swamp that evening. It took 4 hours to get them the last 1 1/2 miles the next morning.
PA180604.jpg

My kind of ATV land.
PA180606.jpg

The last are photos taken this evening of the older cows that are being gathered into the home place meadows. The first 4 are on what we couldn't cut after it snowed.
PA210607.jpg

PA210608.jpg

PA210609.jpg

PA210610.jpg

PA210611.jpg

Cow in forefront is dry due to wolves.
PA210612.jpg

Almost darktime.
PA210613.jpg

nice pics Gcreek, lots of water means lots of grass, hope it does'nt get covered too soon, ha ha. what do you do with good cows that come in dry due to predator loss? like its not her fault, she did her part and calved etc. do you give her another go or is she gone to town?

That is a pretty substantial looking road, Gcreek. It should stand the test of time. Your cattle are fat and sassy, and have survived the summer in great condition. How in the world do you get around in that thickly forested country with a four-wheeler? I'll bet you always have a chainsaw along, or sometimes at least wished that you did. :wink: Do you ever get a long ways from home, suffer four-wheeler failure, and have to play pedestrian? Anyway, thanks for the tour. :)

Hopefully the snow don't come for a while as you have enough grass to last a long time. Pretty impressive!

Wider and softer every year. Sounds familiar. The face-lift looks to be quite successful and boy did those cattle do good this year. Now that your driveway is fixed up I suppose we haven't an excuse anymore for not dropping in. :wink:

Pretty amazing...the cows, the grass, the road, the timber, the
four-wheeler and especially the DOGS...and Debbie. :D

Thanks for the tour. Cattle sure look good, as does the grass.
You'll appreciate that road.....as will your visitors. :D
Pretty neat that you got that road finished in that short a time.

Soapweed said:
That is a pretty substantial looking road, Gcreek. It should stand the test of time. Your cattle are fat and sassy, and have survived the summer in great condition. How in the world do you get around in that thickly forested country with a four-wheeler? I'll bet you always have a chainsaw along, or sometimes at least wished that you did. :wink: Do you ever get a long ways from home, suffer four-wheeler failure, and have to play pedestrian? Anyway, thanks for the tour. :)

The longest walk I've had was 6 miles. I do carry some tools and have a winch on the bike. Preventative maintainence is a must. It has a posi-lock feature that helps get through most anything. It is surprising how many holes are in the timber once you get in there.

I have been piled off of colts and left to walk more than once also. :wink:

hayguy said:
nice pics Gcreek, lots of water means lots of grass, hope it does'nt get covered too soon, ha ha. what do you do with good cows that come in dry due to predator loss? like its not her fault, she did her part and calved etc. do you give her another go or is she gone to town?

It depends on the cow. That particular cow is a 5 year old and will likely stay provided she's bred.

bverellen said:
We don't bury plastic down here for roads. What's the purpose?

bart. †

It's not plastic, it's felt. It keeps the material on top floating when the ground gets soft and thawing in the spring. This portion of our driveway had gotten about 8 feet wider than when it was built and was full of soft spots.

Mr. and Faster Horses crossed it last fall on a dry year and she can tell you what it was like. :lol:

So the felt keeps the road base from sinking and squishing out when the ground thaws out in the springtime?

We don't have too many troubles with the ground freezing up here. It generally stays pretty well melted thruought the year.

It did snow here about 15 years back. You almost would of thought it was the Second Coming the way folks all went outside with their faces upturned to the heavens, arms and hands stretched out, wondering in amazement and all. :wink:

bart. †

Things are looking fantastic up your way :D . The feed looks tremendous, along with the cattle grazing it. I can completely relate to the dead trees, it's becoming an evolving challenge to poke around our forest permit as well. I hope you come home with a full count :wink: :D .

Things are looking pretty prosperous way down south gcreek. Looks like sale day will be profitable for sure. Looks like you wont need to start unrolling hay for some time to come.
Looks like it's not your first road building experience. If you want to take a break from feeding cows this winter I can find a spot for you :D Filter cloth is one of the better inventions I've seen.

Bart, I bet they do use that stuff down there in the swamps. It eliminates the need to remove topsoils and allows a road to be built over extremely soft ground without the underlying material making its way up through to the top.

gcreekrch said:
bverellen said:
We don't bury plastic down here for roads. What's the purpose?

bart. †

It's not plastic, it's felt. It keeps the material on top floating when the ground gets soft and thawing in the spring. This portion of our driveway had gotten about 8 feet wider than when it was built and was full of soft spots.

Mr. and Faster Horses crossed it last fall on a dry year and she can tell you what it was like. :lol:
see it even for highway work in Idaho and Wyoming lot of fabric laid down when rebuilding .

nice work, gcreek. :D
cows and calves look to be in great condition. hopefully fall hangs on for awhile in your neck of the woods, looks like you have alot of feed out there yet.

That's good lookin cow country gcreekrch, till that white stuff comes, I guess a man could winter there alright with enuff antifreeze :D
Cows sure look good..........................good luck

Latest posts