• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

October 23, 2011

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Workingourfallcalves.jpg

We worked our fall calves.
Theyweregivenallbrandingvaccinations.jpg

They were given all branding vaccinations
Weworkedthembutdidntbrand.jpg

But were not branded
Becausethepairsareforsale.jpg

The cows with their calves are for sale. Once the calves are branded, it kind of ruins the sale of pairs.
HalffastactinTanactininaction.jpg

Half fast actin' Tanactin in action
Weaccomplishedourmission.jpg

We accomplished our mission.
Theonlyredcalfinthebunchshouldbeworthextrapoints.jpg

The only red calf in the bunch should be worth extra points. :wink:

Is that the mule you sent to have someone else play with? Looks like you got along ok dragging calves.

Just wondering how branding the calves affects the sale of pairs. Around here, very few cattle carry brands. Your mule looks like a pretty relaxed and dependable hand!

Great pictures, roping, and crew, Soapweed! The name of your mule kills me every time you type it on here. :D Thanks for sharing!

bar o ranch said:
Just wondering how branding the calves affects the sale of pairs. Around here, very few cattle carry brands. Your mule looks like a pretty relaxed and dependable hand!

There is no sense in putting the calves through branding them them twice if you KNOW you are selling them as babies. It is just how a good cowman does it.

I helped a guy a few years back brand his calves, the next week he loaded them on a truck and hauled them to a salebarn. In my opinion, that is just cruel, and self centered.

LazyWP said:
bar o ranch said:

There is no sense in putting the calves through branding them them twice if you KNOW you are selling them as babies. It is just how a good cowman does it.

I helped a guy a few years back brand his calves, the next week he loaded them on a truck and hauled them to a salebarn. In my opinion, that is just cruel, and self centered.

Another reason is that cattle with too many brands begin to look like "trader cattle." If I get these pairs sold, the new owner can put their brand on the calves and they will "fit right in" with other calves of this age that they might have. Once a young calf has a brand, and is then resold, the value diminishes because with the new owner's brand, there are two brands put upon a fairly young calf.

Latest posts