• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oh Canada!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Thanks again mrj. I am behind you a little in years and experience, but I have lived on the same ranch in the same house (part of it anyway) for all my 65 years. I hope your take on BSE is right and not really connected to humans.
It's just so frustrating sometimes when watching or hearing the news we feel we must be second class citizens compared to our neighbours across the border. I guess we all have to learn to be more tolerant of each other.Including myself!

Good night, Judy

Thanks shepard, looking forward to more conversation with you on this. I too am optimistic about this industry but boy do I think we have a ways to go to be better off than 2002. The difference this time is the shrinking of our industry. Losing the 50 head farmer herds that will likely not be replaced will change the numbers probably forever. At one time I thought that would be a good thing but as it happens I am not convinced. Not quite sure what you meant by your WSGA President comment but knowing him fairly well I am sure he would welcome dialog.

Per
Do.nt if cow numbers have as much to do with BSE as everything else. Was kinda a perfect storm situation.droughts etc. Were very few young ranchers coming in or carrying on before bse.Present generation just maybe got fed up and sold early.
Remember maybe 5 years before bse the CCA lobbyed the gov,t till outlaw animal products in beef feed, Think we were all living with a false sense of security.
But it happened.is history now. So best to learn from it and move on. The future is ahead,lets try to do things better if thats possibly, I do.nt like to revist bse,is a done thing.lets figger out what we got today and try to make it work.
Re WSGA president.tough times makes the cream came to the top and take over.think thats what happen there. They need more members.will work on that.
Just my thoughts.people in this business makes one proud to be in it.

Bottom line - there are radicals and apathetics (is that a word shafty) in every country in the world. I am looking forward to feeding hungry "good" folks in Iraq some day.

The good old USA will always be a good Canadian beef customer, but will have to pay a little more once we establish more world markets with "our" own packing and marketing industry.

Don't need to hold Uncle Sam's hand any more. It's time.
:wink:

***Also, a link is suspected between atypical BSE and some apparently sporadic cases of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans. These atypical BSE cases constitute an unforeseen first threat that could sharply modify the European approach to prion diseases.

Second threat

snip...

http://www.neuroprion.org/en/np-neuroprion.html

Good bye BS friends. I won't be arond for a while. Taking a volunteer position with the Wildrose Alliance party to see if they can't replace the dictators our pc's seem to have become in Edmonton. Have to help try to save our local hospital. Have to get a pony/ horse ready for my little grandchildren to ride in the Family Fun rodeos this summer. She's a great little horse, small but big enough for a Grandma to ride and show her the error of her ways if necessary.
I will leave you with this from a t shirt a friend gave me to wear to Disnetland a couple years ago.

I do not travel by dogsled
a loonie is a dollar, not a relative
I live in the second largest country in the world
I AM CANADIAN
winter only lasts one season, I live in a house, not an igloo
I do not know your cousin John in Saskatoon
our currency is not based on monopoly money
our parliament bildings are not made of ice
the maple leaf is our national synbol
WE ARE THE BEST HOCKEY PLAYERS AND PRODUCE THE BEST BEEF IN THE WORLD!

Wishing you well in your endevours Borderancher, you guys don't get the steriotyping we Africans get, people have some really strange ideas about how we lived, and of course the old "you can't be African-you are white???" persists despite 500 years of family history. Of course we were the best beef producers in the world especially our three genetically unique breeds, and massive export of quality beef,but as our beloved dictator has destroyed the industry, you guys might as well take on the mantle :D

andybob said:
Wishing you well in your endevours Borderancher, you guys don't get the steriotyping we Africans get, people have some really strange ideas about how we lived, and of course the old "you can't be African-you are white???" persists despite 500 years of family history. Of course we were the best beef producers in the world especially our three genetically unique breeds, and massive export of quality beef,but as our beloved dictator has destroyed the industry, you guys might as well take on the mantle :D

You have 500 years of history :D

Canada as a country is only a 144 yrs old.

Our turn :lol: :lol:

As a country, Rhodesia existed from 1890-1980 when it became Zimbabwe after the UN sellout. I meant 500 years since the first pioneers from Europe arrived (my wife/children go back to the first Dutch arrivals, I am from more recent arrivals), yet still people refuse to recognise the rights for "White" Africans to be called such.

andybob said:
As a country, Rhodesia existed from 1890-1980 when it became Zimbabwe after the UN sellout. I meant 500 years since the first pioneers from Europe arrived (my wife/children go back to the first Dutch arrivals, I am from more recent arrivals), yet still people refuse to recognise the rights for "White" Africans to be called such.

Andybob,

I have kept up with the Zimbabwe situation since college and had a college acquaintance from there of Italian ancestry with much the same history as you describe . It is a bit depressing how the country has gone downhill since it was taken over by Mugabe. It was the one country that showed so much promise then went downhill with a series of really bad policies.

Sometimes it isn't the age that matters but the wisdom or lack of it.

Tex

And as usual had to reply to someone or something. To those of you thinking I have "joined" something, I have not (yet anyway) joined anything. My positions are purely voluntary and as such I guess i can quit any time someone gets too bossy and overbearing. Right?
Good night all.

borderancher2 said:
And as usual had to reply to someone or something. To those of you thinking I have "joined" something, I have not (yet anyway) joined anything. My positions are purely voluntary and as such I guess i can quit any time someone gets too bossy and overbearing. Right?
Good night all.

I didn't say joined I said "involved" Big difference. :wink: :D :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
borderancher2 said:
Good night all.

In having eggs and ham for breakfast, a chicken was "involved" but a pig probably actually "joined" the occasion. :wink:

Soapweed said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
borderancher2 said:
Good night all.

In having eggs and ham for breakfast, a chicken was "involved" but a pig probably actually "joined" the occasion. :wink:

Eggactly :lol: :lol:

Right, "involved" is for interested onlookers, " joined", like your bacon, is a TRUE committment! However I may be swayed to be a joiner, especially when I checked my mailbox earler to find a membershp package with my first 12 to sell ASAP. Be one less to peddle if I bought one myself! My Care Facility husband would be 2 sold. He may have lost a lot of short term memory, but he still remembers from before what has happened when the wrong party has stayed in power too long. Our present situation is starting to be remembered as well as Drs. told me once that it would take about 7 times of trying to remember for his brain to hold on to things. I disagree, it takes at least 70 times and with more complicated things like the turmoil here in Ab, Land stewardship Act, Ab. Health Service etc,., I think it will be 700 times until he understands, but I keep trying to help him.

If my husband can learn to understand the above, he must be a genius! I havn't talked to anyone that can understand what our once great PC gov. has sunken to and what they are trying to do to mostly rural people, you know, those I believe will become more and more valuable as food producers!

Well they do say there is strength in numbers. :D

I agree on a party being to long in power. We saw that in Sask. with the NDP.
The Sask Party we have now is doing pretty good but I have noticed they seem to forget those that supported them when they don't need them quite as much. :?

Often seems like , even though a party tries to come across to the voters as honest and well meaning, politics tends to make them into dishonest dictators after a while.

Latest posts