• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oh, I can't believe we're thinking about doing this!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
We're in the market for a couple of bulls. We're buying black. How did this happen??????

I guess we have to bend to what the buyer wants. That combined with the fact that cows bred black are easier to sell has made this decision come to be.

I am so gonna miss those sweet little red-white faced calves. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Shelly said:
We're in the market for a couple of bulls. We're buying black. How did this happen??????

I guess we have to bend to what the buyer wants. That combined with the fact that cows bred black are easier to sell has made this decision come to be.

Congratulations Shelly. We knew you would see the light. Someday :wink:

Shelly said:

Now, now, don't cry. It will all turn out just fine. :wink: :)

Sorry for your loss. You know I wouldn't raise cattle if I couldn't raise what I love, I guess I'm in it for the cows, and this little bunch of comm Herefords raised 5 kids, put them all thru college and is raising 2 families right now. (They might not be able t pay for the nursing home but hey who can!!) I am sorry that so many are so happy to see Hereford raisers that are going down.

I tried black once, let's just say it didn't work. Some people get into crossbreeding and think that it is as easy as 123. To have a controled crossbreeding program you need a lot more management than a purebred operation. Me I have better things to do than live with the cows, as they need to take care of themselves. I would love to spend all my time with the cows just watching them as I would call that retirement.
Some think that crossbreeding is going and buying the latest fad for a bull. I am sorry it doesn't work that way or you will have a mongrelized mess. Controlled crossbreeding is great, but you have to take the management requirements with it.
If I was to crossbreed I would breed Angus sired cows to Hereford Bulls and vice versa. That way you could keep your females and mantain a consistent product with the black whiteface.

Black' doesn't have to mean Angus, ya know Shelly. Could I recommend a couple of Black Celtic breeds? Such as the Welsh Black and Galloway? THey'll give you everything an Angus can, with more natural flesh, thickness, and predictability.

Check out www.westernrancher.com/CelticCattle.html

You'll like them.

Heel Fly I don't think anyone is celebrating Hereford breeders going down. We were all Hereford for years but one too many bad spring storms when the black baldy cows we ran for an old lady had their calves up and going in two feet of snow while we dragged the Hereford calves to the barn convinced us to switch. It's not necessarily the black angus, but the hybrid vigor that makes the difference. An all Hereford herd is pretty to look at but so is a black/black baldy herd. :lol: 8) :lol:

The best cross in the world is a Hereford cow and an oilwell-one of the strengths of the Hereford breed is that their 50 percent of a baldy. I know just the Hereford bull for some black cows-Shelly can cross those baldy cows back hereford and get some good short marked baldies that way too. I've got to convince her neighbor to A'I' a bunch of black cows Hereford this spring too.

Shelly said:

Just because they are black doesn't make them better beef. You can buy poor black genetics just as you can any other.

Are you in the beef/meat business? Or are you in the hide business?

Do you really think the black hide is gonna compensate you for the lost pounds on the scales?

I've seen lots go black and then come back. Had one over for dinner last week. He told me his loss for going black last year was around $20 Grand.

He was sure glad he only bred half his cows black.

Shelly...... Red hided cattle are coming back... We sold some angus and hereford- hereford redneck steers and couldn't get a $.98 bid.. peeled the angus off and the reds out sold them..... Of coarse quality is a better price now days... Back baldies are top, especially if they are f1s...........

Here are some pictures for you, Shelley. The black baldies are kinda cute in their own way. :wink:

ForShelley.jpg

For Shelley

Showmethewaytogohome.jpg

Show me the way to go home

Blackbaldybovineboyandbag.jpg

Black baldy bovine boy basking under a bag

Youputyourleftfootinyouputyourleftf.jpg

You put your left foot in, you put your left foot out....

Doyouseewhatmyboyjustdid.jpg

"Do you see what my boy just did," she proudly proclaimed.

Happypair.jpg

Happy pair

passin thru said:
I tried black once, let's just say it didn't work. Some people get into crossbreeding and think that it is as easy as 123. To have a controled crossbreeding program you need a lot more management than a purebred operation. Me I have better things to do than live with the cows, as they need to take care of themselves. I would love to spend all my time with the cows just watching them as I would call that retirement.
Some think that crossbreeding is going and buying the latest fad for a bull. I am sorry it doesn't work that way or you will have a mongrelized mess. Controlled crossbreeding is great, but you have to take the management requirements with it.
If I was to crossbreed I would breed Angus sired cows to Hereford Bulls and vice versa. That way you could keep your females and mantain a consistent product with the black whiteface.

Sure would like see Gelbvieh bulls on Hereford cows. :wink: You can still have the RED!!!

I agree hanta. Gelbvieh will ad pigmentation to the eyes and teats to help get rid of sunburned bags, pink eye, and cancer eye. My grandfather had a hereford angus cross herd. When we switched to the gelbvieh bulls it made a huge difference.

Latest posts