• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

oh the horror

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Oh, the horror, called a friend I had gone to college with. He has built up a nice ranch over the years. He been renting an inholding his property has surrounded for 40 years. The owner wants to develop, Friend made an offer to buy it out right and was turned down. Friend was at city county planning meeting yesterday learning how many houses he will have in the middle of his ranching operation. This is right next to a Wyoming city.

I hate to say it, but his best option may be to recognize that the ranch he had is gone and sell out and buy a bigger, better one elsewhere. I've seen the pattern where the last one forced to develop their property, has the most restrictions and requirements imposed on them. Today, land close to town, near a mountain, river, having great scenery or wild game makes it much more valuable for purposes other than agriculture. Property advertisements in my area always feature a bull elk in the sunset, never a hay meadow! I keep hoping for the day when society begins valuing food and where it comes from!

I hate to say it, but his best option may be to recognize that the ranch he had is gone and sell out and buy a bigger, better one elsewhere. I've seen the pattern where the last one forced to develop their property, has the most restrictions and requirements imposed on them. Today, land close to town, near a mountain, river, having great scenery or wild game makes it much more valuable for purposes other than agriculture. Property advertisements in my area always feature a bull elk in the sunset, never a hay meadow! I keep hoping for the day when society begins valuing food and where it comes from!
I was on an Ag Land Trust board for 9 years. They guy I am talking about was a founding member. I grew up in Star Valley, way too late for the land trust there, they do have 2 easements on 2 ranches there though. Yes, I sold a pretty mountain ranch with 2 miles of blue-ribbon fly-fishing River and another 2 miles of spring creek which had 6 diversions for close to 4 CFS for irrigation. We did a 1031 but there were no places for sale in the price range and animal units we wanted. Ended up with pretty being at the western edge of the black hills with a steep ecosystem divide going into prairie., with 2 ranches that were side by side but a rim rock cyclone canyon between them.

Latest posts