• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

ohh boy...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

montana cowgurl

Reaction score
So we have this new math teacher this year, and I'm stuck with him in Geometry. To tell you the truth, he sucks. I have given him two weeks. Even my art teacher told me that he doesn't even have a degree in mathematics, which really ticked me off. So tonight, I wrote him a letter, and it will be put on his desk in the morning. If nothing changes after this attempt, it is going to the school board. Here it is...I'm somewhat nervous as to what his reply will be, but I have my parents and my class to back me up.

Dear ___________,

I am writing you on behalf of the 7th period Geometry class. This letter is not meant to offend you, but rather to offer you some insight and possibly help you during your first year teaching here at Roundup High School.

We have all experienced multiple math teachers and the many different techniques they have used to present information to us. We all have also been able to adapt to these different situations. I understand that you may be trying your best, but we have been disappointed in your teachings so far. There has been some information that some of my classmates haven't understood, and they didn't think you would really help them, so they came to me, or someone else that knew how to do it. Four of your students in our class, including me, are considered "advanced", but we are only freshman. I even took a two-week geometry course taught by a professional at Denver University during the summer after my sixth-grade year. I understand most of the material a little better than the other freshman, so it has been up to me to help them out a little. Sometimes, I have had problems understanding the material, and I know for sure that even some of the older students have as well.

So, some suggestions might be in line. Last year, we all went up to the whiteboard and did a couple exercises, so that the teacher could see exactly where we were going wrong if we didn't get the answer correct. This way, the teacher helped us understand how to do the problem better. Also we could help pick out each other's mistakes while at the whiteboard. I know that helps me. Maybe you could ask the class how they learn best; have them write it down on a piece of paper and turn it in, or something like that. It would be really great if somehow you could make the class a little less boring and a little more fun and interesting. That always seems to get people more into the class and help them pay attention and learn better. I know it may seem like I'm asking you to take it easy on us, but I'm not; I simply want us all to be able to understand what you're teaching us, and pass the class with good grades.

I hope this letter will be able to help you help my fellow classmates. I understand that this is your first year here; though I don't know if you have had previous teaching experience or not. I'm sorry if this has offended you, but many of us felt like something needed to be said. Please get back to me, I'm more than willing to talk to you during homeroom or another time when you and I are both free. Thanks for taking the time to read as well.

Sincerely,

Mandy Jo Wiley

I'll let you know his reply whenever I get it...wish me luck :roll: :lol:

Luck be with ya girl.........

It's a very nice letter and I'm sure he won't be affended..... If he's half the person he should be the letter will be of great help and your year should be a sucess..........

Good Luck

That was a very mature approach to what could be a serious problem for the whole year. I hope your teacher takes it to heart that you are sincere.

Take care
BMr

Good job!

We had a math teacher in high school that understood it so well, he couldn't TEACH it. Math was always easy for me so I was directed to help the other kids. I didn't have to take the tests to get a grade, I just had
to help the others. I had kids come to my home in the evenings for tutoring.

Sometimes, they know TOO much and don't know how to relate it.
I hope your letter helps everyone.

A very well written letter and an excellent approach to the problem -- I hope he appreciates it. I agree, CC the principal or supt. on this/or both.

You're on the right track! He should be open minded enuff to look at your letter and work on the problem..Good luck

p..s. did anyone else notice she wrote about whiteboards? Guess I'm showing my age...but they use to be "blackboards"...lol

Hey are you dissing us that be green! Don't be hatin.....

I wouldnt really know anything about being white.

:twisted: :D :shock:

Thanks, guys. He said we can talk tomorrow.

Jassy, we not only have whiteboards, we have smartboards. They hook up to the computer, which is projected onto the smartboard in front of the room. You can hit a "button" on the computer projection, and it is just like hitting the button with the mouse of your computer. You can also use computer "pens" on the board, to write. We used these last year in our Algebra I class. They're soooo much fun...lol

montana cowgurl said:
Thanks, guys. He said we can talk tomorrow.

Jassy, we not only have whiteboards, we have smartboards. They hook up to the computer, which is projected onto the smartboard in front of the room. You can hit a "button" on the computer projection, and it is just like hitting the button with the mouse of your computer. You can also use computer "pens" on the board, to write. We used these last year in our Algebra I class. They're soooo much fun...lol

Well thank you so very much for really making me feel old now...lol I still haven't figured out the VCR!!!! :wink:

Interesting when you gals talked of these "smartboards"- I'd never heard of them...Coincidentally 2 of my daughters are able to take this semesters courses thru the Fort Peck Community College and were talking about them, as the classrooms in Poplar have them...They had not seen them either-- either at Eastern or Miles City where they have taken classes...My other daughter said she never saw them in any of her classrooms at MSU either..

Now it doesn't surprise me that Fort Peck CC has them because they have an access to funding (reservation--tuition is about 1/2)- but it surprised me that the high schools did and none of those other colleges had them...

Pretty soon they won't even have books....And I'm with you Jassy-- feeling older.... :wink: :lol:

So how did things turn out did he take to the constructive critisizm.

Ok.

Well...I did give the principal a copy. He told me to keep him updated about the math teacher.

As for the math teacher...I went to talk to him the other day, and he said he'll try to make it more interactive (which is basically what I want). So far nothing has changed, though. I don't think he really understood what I was trying to say.

Oh, and we had our first test on Wednesday. No one got a perfect score, he said, but we haven't gotten them back yet. He also took it, and didn't get a perfect score. Hm.... anyways...guess I'll just find out how this goes. If nothing's changed by the end of next week...I'll definately have a problem :]

We had a math teacher in high school he would have us (Contract) for a grade.How this worked was we would do 2 weeks worth of math (EASY) math then he would have you contract for your grade. If you contracted for a C and did A work you got a C at quarter's end if you contracted for an A and did B work you got an F it was a joke.Anyhow after the contracts were in the work got VERY VERY hard and alot of us were in trouble.He did'nt care a contract is a contract well there were senior's in that class that needed the credit's to graduate that year they went to the principal about it but not before one of them decked the teacher.Everyone passed even the guy who gave the teacher what we all wanted, he did get a 3 day suspension.

Latest posts