• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ohh what a Beautiful Morning!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
To chase 60 head of cows out of the neighbors garden-bear spooked them through a fence and they came 11/2 miles right to her place-they are for sale reallllll cheap right now lol.

My grandmother told me long ago that the only way to have good neighbors is to be a good neighbor.

That is why if a neighbor has something go wrong help them. And always pay a good deed both back and forward. If you have not had cattle over there many times in the last 50 years they will understand. However some of the people around here move into their 5 acre ranch - - go to the sale barn and but the cutest little calves they have ever seen ( calves have never seen people before) turn them out with 2 strands of rusted barb wire and wonder why they can't find them again. Some of them even can't understand why I can call my cattle but their new calves won't come.

Northern Rancher said:
Hamburger lol. Her cat just had 8 kittens in my garage so were negotiating lol. I have good neighbors lol.

I'm sure the negotiation proceedings will be another good story :lol:
You seem to have a constant string. Ought to start a book of them if you haven't alreaady NR. It makes good reading.

George said:
My grandmother told me long ago that the only way to have good neighbors is to be a good neighbor.

I would agree with that whole heartedly, George. Although in this instance I can almost hear my grandfather saying "good fences make for good neighbours". :lol:

Silver,

Yes that should go hand in hand :D - - - I do have some of the neighbors mad about the fences again. :mad: I have cross fenced all of my pastures with 2 strands of hi tensil wire, both of which are hot :shock: . The coon hunters are mad ( one of them sued me several years ago and I won) because they claim I am ruining the dogs :eek: :eek: :eek: - - - they will not go near the fences :D . I have a single strand about 30" above the ground protecting my woven wire fences and the dogs will no longer climb fences. :D :D

I never thought of it but by all of my cross fences the deer problem I have had for years is considerably less this year. :D :D :D I have been using DOT white reflective tape about every 20' on the top wire. The tape has a metalic adhiesive and as such it will zap :eek: :eek: :eek: . I did this to try and get the deer to see the fence and not run thru it. I have had to much deer distruction to believe :( but since I have cross fenced so much ( most lots are now about 10 acres with 15 in the biggest) the deer have decided to go elseware :eek: :eek: :eek: . I thought they would just learn to jump the fence but so far they and all the stray dogs and coydogs are giving my property a wide birth. :D :D :D

I am also doing as my feed rep sudgested and when I move the cattle ( about every other evening) they get moved past the ajoining field in an attempt to further eliminate horn and face flys. He also sudgested doing it at dusk as the flys will be bedded down and not make the move. Does this work? I believe it might help along with the IGR mineral and the face fly mops.

Not much holds a bunch of EXT's when a bear spoooks them-one time we had 200 or so Saler/Angus cross yearling steers gathered up in a big meadow-we were moving them through some willow bluffs when a big black bear ran right through them. Made our day quite a bit longer lol.

NR..... it's embarrassing when your gather outruns ya!! Or were ya mounted well enough to to stay with them spooked sailers.... I found it was a lot easier on me and my mounts to stick with good ole herefords and angus when things get hairy.....ain't quite as exciting but as time goes by I appreciate the "finer" points of life just a bit more!

Northern Rancher said:
Not much holds a bunch of EXT's when a bear spoooks them-one time we had 200 or so Saler/Angus cross yearling steers gathered up in a big meadow-we were moving them through some willow bluffs when a big black bear ran right through them. Made our day quite a bit longer lol.

What does EXT stand for?

EXT is short for some of the most poor dispositioned-quaill like cattle in the Angus breed-he was or is one of the top semen sales bulls for ABS-not bad udders but their temperaments leave much to be desired. At calving our Brahma rodeo cows are easier to get along with. Glad we only have about 60 left lol. Cowsense they were in a big meadow on the Beaver River a few thousand acres but we had to trail them quite aways so they were a bit tough to handle rest of the day. I was riding with some really good cowboys which helped alot-we've had some fun times up there-branding 400 head there tomorrow.

Latest posts