• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OIG SPANKS USDA ET AL AGAIN FOR MORE INEPTNESS ON BSE/TSE

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flounder

Reaction score
USDA Findings and Actions Report Table of Contents I. Executive Summary II. Food Safety and Inspection Service: Japan Export Investigation Report; Golden Veal Corp. and Atlantic Veal and Lamb, Inc. (Exhibits can be found in Appendix I.) III. Office of the Inspector General Report on the Assessment of USDA's Controls for the Beef Export Verification Program for Japan IV. USDA Findings and Action Plan 1. Initial Actions Announced January 20, 2006, by U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns 2. FSIS Investigation Findings and Actions 3. USDA Response to the Office of the Inspector General Report on the Assessment of USDA's Controls for the Beef Export Verification Program for Japan V. Conclusion VI. Appendices A. USDA Export Verification Program Specified Product Requirements for Beef-Japan B. EV Program for Japan – Clarification of Specified Product Requirements C. Draft Revised FSIS Directive – Export Certification D. Draft FSIS Notice – Clarification of Export Procedure for Certifying Beef Product for Japan and Certifying Beef Products Under Any Export Verification Program E. Letterhead Certificate F. AMS Statement for Second Signature G. Training documents for FSIS Inspection Program Personnel H. Materials for January 24, 2006, Packer/CEO Participants in Japan Export Verification Program Meeting I. Documents numbered 1-39 relating to FSIS investigation of Golden Veal Corp. and Atlantic Veal and Lamb, Inc.

I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

On December 12, 2005, after nearly two years of banning the export of beef from the United States, Japan resumed beef trade with the United States. On January 20, 2006, Japan government officials discovered 3 boxes of veal with vertebral column shipped from the United States. Vertebral column is not allowed under the specific trade agreement with Japan. The United States acknowledges this was unacceptable because it did not meet the terms of our agreement with Japan, but emphasized that the product did not present a health risk to the public.

Once the United States government was made aware of this ineligible shipment, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture ordered a thorough investigation. The Office of Program Evaluation, Enforcement and Review, the office within the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) responsible for audits and evaluations, immediately began an investigation into what happened in this particular incident that allowed ineligible product to reach Japan. FSIS also partnered with the investigative branch of the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) to conduct its investigation. This investigation was completed on February 2, 2006. (See Section II of this Report.)

The investigation revealed this incident was the result of inadequate familiarity on the part of the exporter and USDA inspector with the specific products that were eligible for shipment to Japan. By agreement with the Government of Japan, no vertebral column is to be shipped. Vertebral column was shipped in 1 box labeled Hotel Rack and 2 boxes labeled Trimmed Loin. In addition, the investigation revealed that FSIS inspection program personnel at the establishment involved were not sufficiently aware of the AMS EV program and should not have certified/approved shipment of ineligible product for export to Japan. Because this was the first and only shipment of veal to Japan under the EV program, we are confident in our assessment that the circumstances surrounding this ineligible shipment were unique. (See Section III of this Report.)

U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns initially announced 12 actions steps in response to this ineligible shipment of veal to prevent the repeat occurrence of this incident. These 12 action steps included delistment of the establishments in question that had exported ineligible veal products to Japan. Additionally, within 3 days of notification of the ineligible shipment, FSIS held interactive web-based training for its responsible inspection program personnel at all EV approved establishments. Within 4 days, USDA officials held a meeting at USDA headquarters in Washington, D.C., with Chief Executive Officers and other senior management for establishments exporting beef under EV programs to ensure industry understood critical issues for compliance with EV export requirements. U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns personally addressed the group and articulated very clearly the importance of compliance with all requirements to maintain the high standard of excellence associated with the U.S. farm and food product export programs. (See Section IV of this Report.)

Following the investigation, USDA determined appropriate additional action steps to address the findings of the investigation. For example, to be certain that FSIS inspection program personnel are fully aware of specific products approved for export to each country participating in EV programs, the Agricultural Marketing Service (AMS) will maintain a list of specific products approved for export to each country on an internal web site accessible to FSIS trained inspection program personnel. Additionally, AMS will notify FSIS each time establishments are audited, listed, or delisted for EV programs. (See Section IV of this Report.)

On January 27, 2006, the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture also asked that the OIG, the independent investigative arm of the USDA accountable to the American public through the U.S. Congress, perform an audit to evaluate the adequacy of USDA's coordination and control process for the beef export verification program to Japan. This investigation concluded with the completion of an OIG audit report on February 10, 2006, and is also included in this report (see Section III). The findings and corresponding USDA actions presented in this report (see Section IV) are the result of the FSIS Japan Export Investigation Report, Golden Veal Corp., and Atlantic Veal and Lamb, Inc., and OIG Assessment of USDA's Controls for the Beef Export Verification Program for Japan. The findings, facts, and actions are very similar for each investigation.

The United States places a high priority on meeting Japanese standards for imported beef. We understand the Japanese requirements. They are very clear and our system is designed to meet these requirements. As a result of our thorough investigations, we are confident that this detection of ineligible product in a single veal shipment does not indicate weakness in the overall U.S. beef processing or inspection or export systems. Through our investigations and our response to this incident, we have incorporated additional protections into the U.S. system to prevent a similar incident from occurring.

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE FOOD SAFETY AND INSPECTION SERVICE OFFICE OF PROGRAM EVALUATION, ENFORCEMENT AND REVIEW Compliance and Investigations Division Japan Export Investigation Report Golden Veal Corp. & Atlantic Veal and Lamb, Inc. February 14, 2006 Approved By: ____________________________ William C. Smith Assistant Administrator, OPEER This document is FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY. It and its contents are not to be distributed outside your agency, nor duplicated without prior clearance from the Office of Program Evaluation, Enforcement and Review. ...

snip...

Japan Export Investigation Report For Official Use Only

The FSIS, OPEER, will provide its investigative report to OIG, and will support OIG, as requested, in the further investigation of this matter and in any legal action under the jurisdiction of the appropriate United States Attorney.

Office of Inspector General Food and Marketing Division Audit Report

Assessment of USDA's Controls for The Beef Export Verification Program for Japan Report No. 50601 -1 1 -HQ February 2006

SNIP...

SUBJECT: Assessment of USDA's Controls for the Beef Export Verification Program for

Japan (Audit Report No. 50601-1 1-HQ)

Summary

At your request, we performed an audit' to identify the controls put in place to ensure beef

products met the requirements of the beef export verification (BEV) program for Japan, examine

whether the controls broke down, and determine whether additional actions can be taken to

ensure future compliance by responsible agency employees. We concluded that the Agricultural

Marketing Service (AMS) and the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) could strengthen

their controls over the BEV program by improving processes used to communicate BEV

program requirements, clearly defining roles and responsibilities, and implementing additional

oversight of FSIS inspection personnel.

PAGE 31-32

FULL TEXT 65 PAGES ;

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/Japan_Export_Investigation_Report.pdf

TSS

My son has a PhD in veterinary immunology, worked in UK labs, worked for USDA; the whole bit! His comment on BSE: "More people are killed worldwide with golf balls each year!" Don't know how this BS got so out of hand!

Norris said:
My son has a PhD in veterinary immunology, worked in UK labs, worked for USDA; the whole bit! His comment on BSE: "More people are killed worldwide with golf balls each year!" Don't know how this BS got so out of hand!
Simple answer?

R-Calf got the ball rolling by making it an issue May 2003 when they decided to use it to try and keep the Canadian border closed.

Not taking issue with you Bill, but I can remember that same dang holstein cow slipping down on CNN news, at least a dozen times a day when the crap hit the fan in the UK in the early 90's.

Bill, the BSE may not have been linked to a lot of human deaths--maybe later maybe not, but do you not see a benefit in England, Canada, the U.S., and everywhere, of limiting the BSE even if it were just in cows?

The big question is who is to pay for the costs of BSE quarentine/control. The Canadian producers already paid for it big time. It seems to me that the BSE deal has been mixed with the market power moves of the packers. That is why it makes it more difficult to sort out.

I know that Canada has done a lot to stop the probable transmission routes of BSE and all of those efforts are to be commended. It would behoove us all to know a little more about BSE so we know how to deal with it, not politically, but from a scientific sense if we are going to erradicate it.

Next we get into the market power moves. It seems on the surface (and I am just looking at the information posted here) it seems that the govts. of both the U.S. and Canada are not truly interested in stopping the market power moves because they just don't want to. The report on the "salmon run" for instance, is not answering the questions that farmers have asked to have answered. GIPSA (Grain Inspection Packers and Stockyards Admin) has been using the same tactic. They are paying for reports or giving out big grants to economists for future studies that give the answers they want and not the ones that are being asked and alleged by farmers/ranchers. With this kind of incompetency, we will never solve the problems in the markets.

As I said, I have ONLY looked at the information that has been presented on the "salmon run" that has been presented on this forum. If there is something more substantial on the issue than what has been presented here, I am asking for it. It is not about me slandering the Alberta report, because as I said, GIPSA is doing the same thing with their reports they are commissioning and I could give you an example of that. It seems to me that when these reports are issued, we (those interested in the findings) only look at the conclusions, which often hide the real issues and allow people to argue points without seeing if the right questions are being asked. As I said before, we are being fed a bunch of baloney on both sides of the border.

It seems the packers (no, not all packers) are eating our steak and feeding us a bunch of baloney sandwiches. Too many of us are chowing down because we have been hungry for so long that a baloney sandwich looks good. We all deserve a piece of that steak----and if we are given a chicken sandwich, I will give it to my wife---I still want the steak--but I want to make sure it is safe too! Am I too much like the Japanese on this one?

Norris States;

>>>My son has a PhD in veterinary immunology, worked in UK labs, worked for USDA; the whole bit! His comment on BSE: "More people are killed worldwide with golf balls each year!" Don't know how this BS got so out of hand!<<<

it got so out of hand with people running around with PhDs making stupid comments like

"More people are killed worldwide with golf balls each year!"

funny thing just happened, and i am serious. i had to go across the steet just a few weeks ago and tell this guy for the second time to stop driving golf balls to the empty lot next to my house, because your balls are landing in my backyard and could kill either my wife or one of our grandkids. hell i found one burried down in dirt 2/3 of they down. he said it would not happen again. NOBODY DEAD, nobody hit. THE OTHER NOT SO FUNNY THING, not only my mother died from hvCJD, but also, in the very house on the other side of me, his mom died of CJD too, both case confirmed. SO, two sons, two dead moms from cjd, NO GOLF balls :wink:

and maybe someday, someone will explain the sudden increase in not only sporadic CJD, but also Alzheimer's, about the same time the mad cow hit the fan? maybe someday :wink:

reader (the Second) said:
By the same measure (golf balls and infectious diseases), what the h**l is the U.S. and the world doing getting so upset about bird flu? And the U.S. is spending a bundle on it. Tsk. Tsk.
Gotta wonder where this guys' son's PhD is from if he doesn't recognize the danger of TSEs after working in the UK. But then PhDs and common sense often are at odds.

:roll: :roll:
Because the world sees more of a risk in the bird flu which is highly contagious causiing a flu pandemic than BSE causing any illness in humans. A flu pandemic in humans could kill thousands more people in a day than have died from vCJD over the past 20 years.

Just to follow up Flounder's comment, I know maybe 150 families who have lost a member or more to CJD. I know one family whose father got hit by a golf ball, when he was already impaired from another condition, and died.

The day I testified to get a bill passed to report CJD in a neighboring state, a woman who worked for the Health and Education Committee came up and told myself and the sponsoring legislator that her mom died of CJD. It's out there and more common than you think.

Regardless, of the number of human deaths so far and regardless of Norris' son disdain for HUMAN life, TSEs pose a danger that cannot be ignored. I am not sure how people cannot understand that a disease that incubates silently for decades and transmits via blood and kills in 4 weeks is a danger.

And if that's whiny, so be it.

Like I said, what better way to solve the looming social security crisis? We can't seem to get the politicians in power to solve either one of these problems the right way. I think they know they will be out before either one of them blows up, secure with their nest egg, courtesy you, I and all the other taxpayers. Earmarking is a fitting name for all the pork being handed out that is messing up our economy.

Mike said:
Not taking issue with you Bill, but I can remember that same dang holstein cow slipping down on CNN news, at least a dozen times a day when the crap hit the fan in the UK in the early 90's.

We all remember that but it was R-Calf taking out ads in the Washington Post in an attempt to advance the fear on this continent.

There have been 1133 people die in the U.S. from prion diseases..........that they know of, in the last 9 years.

Mike said:
There have been 1133 people die in the U.S. from prion diseases..........that they know of, in the last 9 years.

Does that include Alzhiemers?

Econ101 said:
Mike said:

Does that include Alzhiemers?

I don't think so. I don't think that Alzheimers is a proven link to prion diseases.

Here's the link:

http://www.cjdsurveillance.com/resources-casereport.html

mike wrote;

> I don't think so. I don't think that Alzheimers is a proven link to prion
> diseases.

not proven yet, and only because they did not want to prove it.

from 3 to 33 percent of people diagnosed with Alzheimers after autopsy actually had cjd, this is fact, and the percentage is depending which study you use, the duke, pa, yale and or a mexican one i have. these are facts.

the link of a multitude of neurological disease my be prion i.e. TSE disease, they are coming closer and closer to proving this. now we can ignore it all day long, but it will not make it go away;

##################### Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy #####################

Wed Feb 15, 2006 19:46

doi:10.1016/j.tibs.2006.01.002
Copyright © 2006 Elsevier Ltd All rights reserved.
Amyloids, prions and the inherent infectious nature of misfolded protein aggregates

Claudio Sotoa, b, , Lisbell Estradaa and Joaquín Castillaa

aGeorge and Cynthia Mitchell Center for Alzheimer's disease and related Neurodegenerative Disorders, Departments of Neurology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA
bNeuroscience and Cell Biology and Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX 77555, USA

Available online 13 February 2006.

Misfolded aggregates present in amyloid fibrils are associated with various diseases known as 'protein misfolding' disorders. Among them, prion diseases are unique in that the pathology can be transmitted by an infectious process involving an unprecedented agent known as a 'prion'. Prions are infectious proteins that can transmit biological information by propagating protein misfolding and aggregation. The molecular mechanism of prion conversion has a striking resemblance to the process of amyloid formation, suggesting that misfolded aggregates have an inherent ability to be transmissible. Intriguing recent data suggest that other protein misfolding disorders might also be transmitted by a prion-like infectious process.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/

##################### Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy #####################

Alzheimer-type neuropathology 28 year old patient with idCJD
Sun Feb 19, 2006 11:14

SHORT REPORT
Alzheimer-type neuropathology in a 28 year old patient with iatrogenic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease after dural grafting
M Preusser1, T Ströbel1, E Gelpi1,2, M Eiler3, G Broessner4, E Schmutzhard4 and H Budka1,2
1 Institute of Neurology, Medical University Vienna, Austria
2 Austrian Reference Centre for Human Prion Diseases (OERPE), General Hospital Vienna, Austria
3 Department of Neurology, LKH Rankweil, Austria
4 Department of Neurology, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria

Correspondence to:
Dr H Budka
Institute of Neurology, Medical University of Vienna, Waehringer Guertel 18-20, 4J, 1097 Vienna, Austria; [email protected].

ABSTRACT
We report the case of a 28 year old man who had received a cadaverous dura mater graft after a traumatic open skull fracture with tearing of the dura at the age of 5 years. A clinical suspicion of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) was confirmed by a brain biopsy 5 months prior to death and by autopsy, thus warranting the diagnosis of iatrogenic CJD (iCJD) according to WHO criteria. Immunohistochemistry showed widespread cortical depositions of disease associated prion protein (PrPsc) in a synaptic pattern, and western blot analysis identified PrPsc of type 2A according to Parchi et al. Surprisingly, we found Alzheimer-type senile plaques and cerebral amyloid angiopathy in widespread areas of the brain. Plaque-type and vascular amyloid was immunohistochemically identified as deposits of beta-A4 peptide. CERAD criteria for diagnosis of definite Alzheimer's disease (AD) were met in the absence of neurofibrillar tangles or alpha-synuclein immunoreactive inclusions. There was no family history of AD, CJD, or any other neurological disease, and genetic analysis showed no disease specific mutations of the prion protein, presenilin 1 and 2, or amyloid precursor protein genes. This case represents (a) the iCJD case with the longest incubation time after dural grafting reported so far, (b) the youngest documented patient with concomitant CJD and Alzheimer-type neuropathology to date, (c) the first description of Alzheimer-type changes in iCJD, and (d) the second case of iCJD in Austria. Despite the young patient age, the Alzheimer-type changes may be an incidental finding, possibly related to the childhood trauma.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://jnnp.bmjjournals.com/tss

CJD1/9 0185

Ref: 1M51A

IN STRICT CONFIDENCE

Dr McGovern From: Dr A Wight

Date: 5 January 1993

Copies: Dr Metters

Dr Skinner

Dr Pickles

Dr Morris

Mr Murray

TRANSMISSION OF ALZHEIMER-TYPE PLAQUES TO PRIMATES

1. CMO will wish to be aware that a meeting was held at DH yesterday,
4 January, to discuss the above findings. It was chaired by Professor
Murray (Chairman of the MRC Co-ordinating Committee on Research in
the Spongiform Encephalopathies in Man), and attended by relevant
experts in the fields of Neurology, Neuropathology, molecular biology,
amyloid biochemistry, and the spongiform encephalopathies, and by
representatives of the MRC and AFRC.

2. Briefly, the meeting agreed that:

i) Dr Ridley et als findings of experimental induction of p amyloid
in primates were valid, interesting and a significant advance in the
understanding of neurodegeneradve disorders;

ii) there were no immediate implications for the public health, and no
further safeguards were thought to be necessary at present; and

iii) additional research was desirable, both epidemiological and at the
molecular level. Possible avenues are being followed up by DH
and the MRC, but the details will require further discussion.

93/01.05/4.1tss

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1993/01/05004001.pdf

BSE101/1 0136

IN CONFIDENCE

5 NOV 1992

CMO From: Dr J S Metters DCMO 4 November 1992

TRANSMISSION OF ALZHEIMER TYPE PLAQUES TO PRIMATES

1. Thank you for showing me Diana Dunstan's letter. I am glad that MRC have
recognised the public sensitivity of these findings and intend to report
them in their
proper context. This hopefully will avoid misunderstanding and possible
distortion by
the media to portray the results as having more greater significance than
the findings
so far justify.

2. Using a highly unusual route of transmission (intra-cerebral injection)
the
researchers have demonstrated the transmission of a pathological process
from two
cases one of severe Alzheimer's disease the other of Gerstmann-Straussler
disease to
marmosets. However they have not demonstrated the transmission of either
clinical
condition as the "animals were behaving normally when killed'. As the report
emphasises the unanswered question is whether the disease condition would
have
revealed itself if the marmosets had lived longer. They are planning funher
research
to sec if the conditions, as opposed to the partial pathological process, is
transmissible.

What are the implications for public health?

3. . The route of transmission is very specific and in the natural state of
things
highly unusual. However it could be argued that the results reveal a
potential risk,
in that brain tissue from these two patients has been shown to transmit a
pathological
process. Should therefore brain tissue from such cases be regarded as
potentially
infective? Pathologists, morticians, neuro surgeons and those assisting at
neuro
surgical procedures and others coming into contact with "raw" human brain
tissue
could in theory be at risk. However, on a priori grounds given the highly
specific
route of transmission in these experiments that risk must be negligible if
the usual
precautions for handling brain tissue are observed.

92/11.4/1-1

BSE101/1 0137

4. The other dimension to consider is the public reaction. To some extent
the GSS
case demonstrates little more than the transmission of BSE to a pig by
intra-cerebral
injection. If other prion diseases can be transmitted in this way it is
little surprise that
some pathological findings observed m GSS were also transmissible to a
marmoset.
But the transmission of features of Alzheimer's pathology is a different
matter, given
the much greater frequency of this disease and raises the unanswered
question whether
some cases are the result of a transmissible prion. The only tenable public
line will
be that "more research is required" before that hypothesis could be
evaluated. The
possibility on a transmissible prion remains open. In the meantime MRC needs
carefully to consider the range and sequence of studies needed to follow
through from
the preliminary observations in these two cases. Not a particularly
comfortable
message, but until we know more about the causation of Alzheimer's disease
the total
reassurance is not practical.

JS METTERS
Room 509
Richmond House
Pager No: 081-884 3344
Callsign: DOH 832

121/YdeStss

92/11.4/1.2

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1992/11/04001001.pdf

also, see the increase of Alzheimer's from 1981 to 1986

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1988/07/08014001.pdf

Proof Mad Cow Is The Same
As Alzheimer's And CJD ???

How Many Of Them Are Really Mad Cow/vCJD/TSEs ???

How Can Government Claims Of Just 'One In A Million' Be Accurate
When CJD Is Not A Reportable Disease? And When The Elderly Do
Not Get Routinely Autopsied??

By Terry Singletary, Sr
12-27-03

Note - This extensive, powerful assemblage of science was first posted on
1-24-3. The
following data is even more important today. -ed

snip...

Regarding Alzheimer's disease

(note the substantial increase on a yearly basistss)

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1988/07/08014001.pdf

snip...

The pathogenesis of these diseases was compared to Alzheimer's disease at a
molecular level...

snip...

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/03/12003001.pdf

And NONE of this is relevant to BSE?

There is also the matter whether the spectrum of ''prion disease'' is wider
than that recognized at present.

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/07/06005001.pdf

Human BSE

snip...

These are not relevant to any possible human hazard from BSE nor to the much
more common dementia, Alzheimers.

snip...

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/07/09001001.pdf

=====================================================

Subject: CJD or Alzheimer's, THE PA STUDY...full text
Date: May 7, 2001 at 10:24 am PST

Diagnosis of dementia: Clinicopathologic correlations

Francois Boller, MD, PhD; Oscar L. Lopez, MD; and John Moossy, MD

Article abstract--Based on 54 demented patients consecutively autopsied at
the University of Pittsburgh, we studied the accuracy of clinicians in
predicting the pathologic diagnosis. Thirty-nine patients (72.2%) had
Alzheimer's disease, while 15 (27.7%) had other CNS diseases (four
multi-infarct dementia; three Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease; two thalamic and
subcortical gliosis; three Parkinson's disease; one progressive supranuclear
palsy; one Huntington's disease; and one unclassified). Two neurologists
independently reviewed the clinical records of each patient without
knowledge of the patient's identity or clinical or pathologic diagnoses;
each clinician reached a clinical diagnosis based on criteria derived from
those of the NINCDS/ADRDA. In 34 (63 %) cases both clinicians were correct,
in nine (17%) one was correct, and in 11 (20%) neither was correct. These
results show that in patients with a clinical diagnosis of dementia, the
etiology cannot be accurately predicted during life.

NEUROLOGY 1989;39:76-79

Several recent papers and reports have addressed the problem of improving

snip.....

IN STRICT CONFIDENCE

TRANSMISSION OF ALZHEIMER-TYPE PLAQUES TO PRIMATES

http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1993/01/05004001.pdf

Subject: Re: Hello Dr. Manuelidis Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 17:47:09 -0500
From: laura manuelidis Reply-To: [email protected]. Organization:
Yale Medical School To: "Terry S. Singeltary Sr."

References: <[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]> <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Dear Terry,

One of our papers (in Alzheimer's Disease Related Disord. 3:100-109, 1989)
in text cites 6 of 46 (13%) of clinical AD as CJD. There may be a later
paper from another lab showing the same higher than expected incidence but I
can't put my hands on it right now. We also have a lot of papers from 1985
on stating that there are likely many silent (non-clinical) CJD infections,
i.e. much greater than the "tip of the iceberg" of long standing end-stage
cases with clinical symptoms. Hope this helps.

best wishes for the new year laura manuelidis

"Terry S. Singeltary Sr." wrote: Hello again Dr. Manuelidis, could you
please help me locate the 2 studies that were done on CJD where it showed
that up to 13% of the people diagnosed as having Alzheimer's actually had
CJD. trying to find reference... thank you, > Terry S. Singeltary Sr.

4.5 MILLION DEMENTED ALZHEIMER'S PATIENTS, HOW MANY ARE CJD/TSEs ???

HOW CAN ONE-IN-A-MILLION BE ACCURATE WHEN CJD IS NOT REPORTABLE,

AND WHEN THE ELDERLY DO NOT GET AUTOPSIED??????

TSS

full text;

Proof Mad Cow Is The Same As Alzheimer's And CJD
As Alzheimer's And CJD How Many Of Them Are Really Mad Cow/vCJD/TSEs ??? ...
I have posted some data below on CJD and Alzheimer's that you may find
interest ...
www.rense.com/general46/proofa.html - 124k -

http://www.rense.com/general46/proofa.html

More Evidence Mad Cow Same As CJD And Alzheimer's
I have posted some data below on CJD and Alzheimer's that you may find
interest
... Diagnosis and Reporting of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease TS Singeltary, Sr;
www.rense.com/general34/cjmd.htm - 123k -

http://www.rense.com/general34/cjmd.htm

tss

#################### https://lists.aegee.org/bse-l.html ####################

By the same measure (golf balls and infectious diseases), what the h**l is the U.S. and the world doing getting so upset about bird flu? And the U.S. is spending a bundle on it. Tsk. Tsk.

Gotta wonder where this guys' son's PhD is from if he doesn't recognize the danger of TSEs after working in the UK. But then PhDs and common sense often are at odds.

:roll: :roll:

Glad you are so well versed! According to thg US Food and Drug Administraton web site (check it out), there have been 155 cases of vCJV WORDWIDE and one case in the US (a person that lived in the UK and moved here with vCJV). So glad you know everyone in the world! This is just another knee jerk by the worlds governments. If you have lost someone I am truly sorry. I have lost many friends to automobile accidents (more killed each year than in all 10 years of Viet Nam); but I don't want to rip up all the highways and ban all cars.

Oh yeah; don't think I mentioned a thing about bird flu!

R2 to Norris
I don't know how long you have lurked here and what you have or have not read. The story on transmissable spongiform encepalopathies (TSEs) in both humans and animals is worth understanding beyond a quote from your PhD son and a perusal of the FDA site.

Do you have a PhD R2? Are the posts that you make on this site based on science or yours and Terry's own personal experiece with TSE's.

BSE is what Norris's son was talling about, and the theoretic link to vCJD. Even if all 155 vCJD cases could be somehow miraculously proven to have been caused by eating beef, we all have to get real here and relate to the golf ball story.

Talking of Norris's son having disregard for human life is as ridiculous, as it has been with me since day one. I regard human and animal life.

I have no regard for a planet full of money hungry humans making a mountain out of this mole hill without even proof that it is a mole hill to begin with.

At least one of the vCJD victims in the UK was a confirmed vegatarian.

Just to follow up Flounder's comment, I know maybe 150 families who have lost a member or more to CJD. I know one family whose father got hit by a golf ball, when he was already impaired from another condition, and died.

The day I testified to get a bill passed to report CJD in a neighboring state, a woman who worked for the Health and Education Committee came up and told myself and the sponsoring legislator that her mom died of CJD. It's out there and more common than you think.

Regardless, of the number of human deaths so far and regardless of Norris' son disdain for HUMAN life, TSEs pose a danger that cannot be ignored. I am not sure how people cannot understand that a disease that incubates silently for decades and transmits via blood and kills in 4 weeks is a danger.

And if that's whiny, so be it.

You are a real piece of work! You know more about vCJD than the US Food and Drug Admin and people that actually work with it. Since there have only been 155 cases (NOT DEATHS) WORLDWDE how could you possibly know 150 people who have died from this? If you have a PhD it has to be in basketweaving. The way these things get out of hand is NOT R Calf but idoits like you making unsupported accusations!

You know, you're right. My PhD is from the University of Texas and you know what that means, don't you?? They must be the basket weaving capital of the world :roll:

Norris might know a little about basketweaving too. He sure don't know the diff between CJD and vCJD it seems.

Hey Norris, I'll tell you how BSE got out of hand on this site.

R2 needs something to blame for the unfortunate loss of her husband and the rest need an excuse to stop Canadian imports because they're not smart enough to realize the impact of Canadian imports on our markets or the fact that Canadian beef will replace U.S. beef on the world market.

Each with their own conspiracy theories.

You got it, these self annointed experts actually believe they know more about BSE than the agency responsible for food safety and their scientists.

~SH~

SH, "..... or the fact that Canadian beef will replace U.S. beef on the world market."

Good. Let Tyson and Cargill of Canada pay the freight to China, we'll pay the freight to Chicago.

SH, "You got it, these self annointed experts actually believe they know more about BSE than the agency responsible for food safety and their scientists."

Are you talking about that same agency who has been constantly LOWERING our food safety standards once it became an economic issue for Tyson and Cargill?

Norris said:
Don't Know yu,but got to like yur thinkin' Greg

Latest posts