• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OK, I promise....

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JF Ranch said:
Tap said:
JF Ranch, so as to not confuse anyone anymore, we went over to the Jumpoff to help the manager of the ranch. We don't own any of it, or the cattle either.

It doesn't matter that these particular pictures were not of your actual place. My comments on your good land, cattle and management are from viewing your posts for quite some time. You have captured with your camera how uniquely beautiful yet productive your country is. Good job!

Thank you very much JF Ranch. It is my pleasure.

I promise that I will show you some better pictures of where they ran the buffalo over the edge. I am convinced that it happened that way, but of course I was not there. But we have found buffalo skulls at the foot of our dropoffs. We found a great one once, but did not feel like carrying it back up the the top, and when we went back later it was gone. Some hunter must have wanted it worse than we did. Should have picked it up right away.

andybob said:
Please keep the pictures coming, I don't have as much time to tour your beautifull land right now, so the pictures compensate untill I get around to visiting more of America, and any cattle pictures are always welcome!

It has occured to me that I am way more interested in taking scenery pictures than people or cattle pictures. I like to take them too, but my interest mostly lays in the landscape. I do like to mix cattle/people and landscapes, as it enters into the history of this area.

Grapevine said:
I can get you a video, Tap. We've been talking about putting it on DVD. My parents have the movie, so I'll visit with them to get a copy for you.

You are right about the road out to the ranch. It's 4 miles of gumbo (even over a butte at one point) and made for many interesting trips! It really was a great place to learn to drive! :D

In reference to your photos... I could tell you a story about each one, but wanted to point out the one with the tree on the butte. When we moved in 1998, there was only the one tree, but it appears another one is growing now. (How a cedar tree is growing out of the top of a butte when there aren't any other cedar trees close by, is a mystery to me.) When my sisters and I were growing up, that butte/tree was a point of reference if we were ever "lost" on the ranch.

And to JF Ranch, the tales of the Indians running the buffalo off the banks along the Jumpoff are true. You'd have to see more of the terrain to get a better idea, but I can tell you there is a lot of evidence that these stampedes and slaughters happened in the day.

The movie would be great to have. Let me know if you can do it. I assume you may know who I am. I thought you were your mother at first. Now you need to tell me if you are K,R, or M?

There are 3 reasons that the ranch over there appeals to me. I like G. very well, I like working and looking around that country, then there is the history.

I have always loved the stories that the oldtimers of the area tell, and I am curious as to the history of our area. Your post makes me think of several unique aspects of that ranch. Please correct anything I may have wrong Grapevine.

First, there is the Buffalo Jump of course, but George A Custer's scouting party went right through there a few years before the Little Bighorn. I think they were on their way to the Black Hills from the fort at Bismarck ND. I heard that the butte that is just S. of the house (less than 1/4 mi.) had one side mined plumb apart by Custer's men looking for Gold or some other kind of mineral. It is very evident where they tore the butte open. I think they had 100 wagons or some such # and they built makeshift roads through there. They also named several landmarks on their trip through. I would liked to have seen them get all those wagons over the Jumpoff. :)

The Pine Springs pasture to the west is one of my favorite places in the country. I have been told that the early day cattle companies used it for a line camp (I think maybe the Turkey Track, or maybe the Mill Iron Ranch). It was the edge of their range, and I think they might have also used it to keep the CY ranch cattle from coming onto their range. The CY was owned by the former governer of Wyoming CY Carey possibly? That was in the 1880's.

Then there is the fact that Charlie Wilson (the owner of the famous bucking horse Tipperary) owned the ranch in the early 1900's. After he purchased Tipperary, the ranch became Tipperary's running grounds, and Tipperary died on the ranch, did he not? Tipperary would rival Steamboat and Midnight for one of the early era's most famous bucking horses.

Then after Wilson's sold out your relative Dick H. owned the ranch, and he was one of the men that survived Iwo Gima. Could you tell that story better than I could?

And of course there is your old man. :wink: If we could get him to telling stories here, he would have a captive audience. He has an unlimited supply of interesting stories. You know, I bought the book about Chris LeDoux last winter, GOLD BUCKLE DREAMS, and I learned that your dad was a good friend of his, and traveled with him on the rodeo circuit. They both went to college together in Casper right?

Hope I didn't bore everybody to death with my ramblings, but a lot came to my mind after Grapevine's posts.

Nice pictures TTB!!! I would be the one to go and fall off to that!! So I wouldnt even think about going up there to look down, id probally pass out!! :shock:

I like the snow on them!! :lol:

Katy

Interesting link on CY Carey.

http://userpages.aug.com/bdobson/nplatte3.html

Maybe the oldtimers weren't telling windies about 9 mos. of winter in the old days. :shock: :)

Tap,

I like your appreciation of the history of your place. I too enjoy that aspect of where we live. Every part of the country has it's own unique history. Unfortunately much of it is lost.

You are fortunate that you know some of the events that happened there. I hope you take pictures and post them for us with what you know of these events. I think it would be very interesting.

Here in the Sandhills, the white man's history is more brief than nearly any other place due to the fact that it is what the name implies: sandy! It was avoided and considered uninhabitable until the later 1800's. Artifacts and other evidence of Indian inhabitation for centuries can still be found in blowouts. As I go about my daily work, I can't help but think about what all may have happened in this land for perhaps thousands of years.

I wish I could talk to my Grandfather who died in 1985 at 93 years of age. I have a million questions for him that I did not have back then. Unfortunately all of those early pioneers are gone and with them went their stories and personal history of our area.

Tap:

Grapevine = K. You are right, that ranch is rich in history!

It's true - that the Custer crew came through that area. Have you seen the wagon ruts on the south end of the big pasture? Getting in and out of there had to have been quite a trip!

Tipperary did die on the ranch. There are many pictures in the Tipperary books with the big horse standing in the corral with the buttes in the background.

My grandpa was at Iwo Gima. In fact, a few years back my family found tons of stuff - letters, pictures, etc. - that his mother had rec'd from her sons during war time. It was very interesting. And speaking of my grandpa... story has it that he bought the ranch and never saw it until he trailed his cows up there from Belle Fourche.

Yes, my dad is quite the story teller. He was friends with Chris LeDoux. My dad went to Sheridan College, Chris LeDoux went to Casper. The two traveled together to college, and then to pro rodeos. Next time you see my dad, ask him to tell you some of their stories... they are the best!

I hadn't heard about all the action that took place in the Pine Springs pasture in the day -- but I wouldn't be surprised at all. We found a lot of interesting things up in that area that led us to believe there were a lot of people through there.

And on the buffalo/jump off subject again, there are two attractions in the Black Hills where you can learn more and/or see a buffalo jump. Outside of Beulah, Wyo is the Vore Buffalo Jump. You can actually go to the drop off that looks a lot like TTB's pictures. Also, just outside of Deadwood is "Tatanka, Story of the Bison". http://www.storyofthebison.com/ The sculpture is the main feature and is quite a site!

Latest posts