• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OK,KATO WHERE YOU AT ?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
You posted pictures of those good looking cattle on the Ranch page ,then run off. Me and faster horses have a silent bet going,I say I have ole #10 spotted and she sez I dont :D who's right me or faster horses?..................good luck PS dont be siding up with faster horses just cuz yall are both girls :wink:

Here, I'll post it again.
heifersattrough2005.jpg

She's leading that group off to the right. She's the one that's about 6 feet wide! :shock:

I was away yesterday because our power was out from afternoon until 9 o'clock last night. :roll:

OK. I got to know. Why fence the cattle off from the pond and spend money for a water trough and a solar powered pump when you could just let the cattle drink from the pond? The pond would also help keep the cows cool in the summer.
:???: :???: :???: :???:

Alabama said:
OK. I got to know. Why fence the cattle off from the pond and spend money for a water trough and a solar powered pump when you could just let the cattle drink from the pond? The pond would also help keep the cows cool in the summer.
:???: :???: :???: :???:

Well you could let them drink in the pond but they will also be Peeing in the pond and tramping down the sides of the pond which muddy up the water they drink. If you fence the pond and pump the water out, the water in the trough will be clean and the pond edges last alot longer. We have some ponds that we don't even fence, we still pump the water to a trough and the cattle go to the trough instead of the pond as the water taste better.

Faster horses said:
No one wins, haymaker, cuz Kato spilled the beans! Don't be claiming VICTORY, now! :wink:
:lol2: :gag:

UH HUH,go look at my post on the ranch,close enough?............good luck

Close enough for me. 8)

As for the water trough, watering from dugouts is becoming frowned upon in our area. Water quality and all that. We find less footrot when they use the trough too. There is a dugout just like this one out behind where the cows are, and they never drink out of it. They could if they really wanted, but they prefer the trough.

My cows would die of heet in the summer without beeing able to wade on those hot days. You just need a good size pond.

The Queensland (Australia) Dept. Primary Industries did trials over many range lands for a 10yr period & their results show a marked difference between the performance of stock, cattle & sheep, the trough watered stock performed up to 28 % better than dam watered . In all instances the difference was at least 15%.makes sense when you think about it.
regards
Tully :)

F.H we have the same kinda thing going in here... nothings really come of it yet thank god because they also don't want us usin rivers ... don't know what I'd do without the river water at my summer pasture

Yup your right... thats the talk .They asked for permission to study down on that pasture...told them NO city boys DON"T know how to close gates and my cattle were in there and thats where I wanted them to stay.held them off for a little while anyway :(

Faster horses said:
The conservation movement in this country would like all cattle to drink out of tanks and not out of ponds, resevoirs or creeks. It is amazing that they really will go to the tanks instead of the ponds, resevoirs or creeks.

You are right faster horses,the FSA contacted most of the folks living in my county,and tried to lease all the creek and river bottoms.

I talked to them and it went something like this,They would pay the fencing costs, to fence your cattle out of creeks and river bottoms,and drill you a well,you had to sign a 15 or 20 year lease I dont remember which,and they give you an up front signing bonus ,then anual payments,I dont recall the dollar amounts because I was'nt interested............good luck

That happened in our pasture at home. Except we were told that they would do all the fencing for free and provide a pump etc. but after that we were on our own to maintain it. It's built along a creek that has notoriously violent flooding at times too. This creek is quite often reduced to a dry bed, but there are a few days where a brave soul could take their life in their hands and boat it during a flood, so that makes it a navigable waterway. That also puts it under the jurisdiction of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans! Can you imagine? In the middle of the prairie we have the fish guys breathing down our necks.

We were offered no other money, but were told that if we didn't do the fencing now, we would be very likely legislated into doing it at our own cost a couple of years from now.

Now the far side of the creek has become overrun with burr plants and would be a nightmare to let cattle in to it. We're still not sure what we're going to do about that. Have they set up a scenario where the cattle stay out, but we're forced to use chemicals in there? If so it would probably be the first time in history that it's ever happened on that piece of land .. ever. So far other than not having to worry about drowning calves at springtime, there haven't been a lot of benefits to us that we can see yet. We always took good care of the creek in the past, never cutting out the brush or letting erosion happen, but then again what would we know about it? We've only lived beside it for the past 30 years. :?

Well dont let em jerk you around Kato,I understand about clean water etc.and always try to do my part,but we have to pencil this place,and you hit the nail on the head when you said you are left with the maintenance,I dont know about you but I have enough fence to keep up already,damn sure dont need any more along a creek that floods twice a year.............good luck

Lemme tell ya it's bad enuff havin to keep up the flood gates at the creek (fences that cross a creek) We have three coming in that join into one creek and then the one goin out, on our place. Might just hafta go take some pics of that for ya'll to see. No way would I wanna hafta try to put a fence all along all those creeks,......I'd be buildin fence day and night, patchin fence from now till eternity.

Latest posts