• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Ok ranchersnet family I need advice.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
Number 1 son is going to wrestle in Neigh Ne. on saturday. They are going down the night before and stay with the wrestler families there.

1. I do not know where or who he is staying with:
2. Don't know if he will have a bed or needs a sleeping bag.
3. Don't know if he will get supper or if he will need to provide for himself that night.
4. I don't know if there will be a parent there.
5. No bed checks from the coaches.
6 Will have coaches cell number.
I called the coach with my concernes being a new wrestling mom and I guess this is a tradition. And we(parents) aren't to call the families that my son is staying with it just not done. The neigh boys stay with the valentine boys when they come to wrestle. Done deal.
I'm having a tough time with this I didn't sleep very well last night. Am I worrying for nothing?
I do know of an incident where the host family took one of our boys to a basketball game, them drove around almost all night from oakdale to neigh. This just makes me very uncomfortable am I an over-protective mom??? Help me out!!!!!!!

As a parent I can understand your concerns. Have lived with a woman for 26 years that doesn't sleep well when kids were not home so I didn't sleep well either. I would hope that you put trust in you son to do the right thing make sure he has the coaches number and maybe send your cell phone with him so if there is problems he can call the coach or you. Just make sure he has something to sleep in as "Going Commando" at a strangers house might cause a stir. :wink: :cowboy:

OH yea is this carter going wrestling? If it is wish him luck for me. I always enjoyed wrestling in High school. Now it's just me and the wife. :wink: :help: :cowboy:

Don't know if this helps or not.....Where I grew up, this was common in Wrestling and for Basketball tournaments. Developed some lasting friendships outta this deal. Much better than kids from rival towns fighting. My Father-in-law just retired from coaching wrestling. It is almost like Rodeo with the families getting to know each other and support each other.

That being said, No guarentee that kids being kids won't do somethig stupid. Hopefully the dumbest thing would be waking up and walking to the bathroom commando. At some point your child has to have the ability to say yes or no. If they are there or not is a call you have to make,

PPRM

The way I see it, bein a mom, and havin kids goin off to games and such, there should always be a phone number given as to where your child is or can be reached. Cell phones down here aren't reliable enuff to depend on havin service in case of an emergency.
I fully understand the feeling of, am I an over protective mom? Better to be over protective than sorry.
The school, coach, whoever, should understand your reservations, and do everything in their power to see that you have phone numbers, just in case. Just because you have them doesn't mean you'll use them, it's just somethin that gives you peace of mind, knowing that if you have it, and need it, it's there.
Tables turned, our school requires a permission slip be signed by each parent, including any and all phone numbers in case of an emergency. They should do the same.
Send a sleepin bag with him.
give him a lil money in case he has to buy supper.
Send a cell phone with him.
But most importantly sit him down, and talk to him about how you feel. Kids need to know how you feel just as much as you need to know what's goin on with them. He'll just know how much you care for his safety, and that you love him. Even tho he already knows that.

I'm sure it will be ok any family who has a boy disciplined enough to be a wrestler will have things under control-I spend all winter packing around 18 teenage hockey players -boys will be boys but they aren't that bad a deal. I'm sure he'll get fed-anybody who asks to be a billet family I'm sure has been checked out.

Katrina,being an over protective mom I totally understand your concern.I'd be talking to the coach and ask him some of these questions.Also if hes staying with a billet family I really don't think you have to worry too much because remember they are parents too.Hes your child,he knows what you expect of him I'm sure it will all be O.K.Its SOOOO hard letting them become thier own person!!!!

Thanks everyone for your support. Northern Rancher, I'll make sure he knows about the commando thingy. :shock: You won't let me live that down will you!! :wink:
Once he gets there I will have him call me. He will take my cell phone. I have him bunking with another farm-ranch kid, a real good kid.
I will tell him not to get in a car with a kid only an adult driver.
I will tell him that he is not to go anywhere, no basketball game no other kids house. Use the headache excuse or something of the sort. (works for me.. :wink: :wink: )
I will see that he has a sleeping bag and money and extra food..
Anything else????

katrina said:
Thanks everyone for your support. Northern Rancher, I'll make sure he knows about the commando thingy. :shock: You won't let me live that down will you!! :wink:
Once he gets there I will have him call me. He will take my cell phone. I have him bunking with another farm-ranch kid, a real good kid.
I will tell him that he is not to go anywhere, no basketball game no other kids house. Use the headache excuse or something of the sort. (works for me.. :wink: :wink: )
Anything else????

Don't forget the Condoms!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ooh, may I add a quick reply here? Okay, Katrina, like the guys and gals here that gave their great advice, I can only say just let him have a laugh and enjoy himself - that way, when ya know he's happy doing his thang, you will too! And ladies, you're not the overprotective moms, I have a feeling it's my mom who fits that category!! :D

Mike said:
katrina said:
Anything else????

That's just not right.

mp.freelance said:
Mike said:
katrina said:
Anything else????

That's just not right.

Relax, MP. She knows I'm kidding.

You know it is a good idea for every boy to have a condom. You never know when he might get lucky and I am sure you would rather he use one that go commando.

Alabama said:
You know it is a good idea for every boy to have a condom. You never know when he might get lucky and I am sure you would rather he use one that go commando.

You gonna have Katrina down here with a shotgun after the both of us.

Dad takes care of all that but doesn't want her to know. :wink:

Condoms? Is this co-ed wrestling or what-let him go to a Bball game with the other kids-he'll be just fine I'm sure. Most serious young athletes take care of themselves pretty good-on the weekend most of my boys head to their rooms for a pregame nap lol-kind of funny in 13-14 year olds.

Mike said:
Alabama said:

You gonna have Katrina down here with a shotgun after the both of us.

Dad takes care of all that but doesn't want her to know. :wink:

Katrina will you give me three steeps please. Mike make sure that you run directly behind me.

Sounds like you have a good answer, Katrina. Hope he wins!

Once one of our teenage sons about 16 or 17 casually said he planned to go out with some friends. We asked where and he gave a name unfamiliar to us and in an airy way which slowly raised our suspicious parental hairs. A little more questioning brought out it was a nightclub in another state. We were firm that it was not an option and felt irritated and sad about the situation when he threw a fit and walked around under a black cloud for awhile.
About a year or so later he brought up that incident again and chuckled that he'd actually been glad we'd said no because he hadn't felt comfortable with it himself and it was easier to say his parents wouldn't allow him to go. Ahhhh- music to our ears!

Latest posts