• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OK, this is the rest of my story

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
Yesterday I mentioned we were buying black bulls, well there's two or three reasons why.
First, this is my last calving season. The cows are to be sold this coming fall or winter.
Second, the cows will sell better being bred black. And, if the market goes all to hell in the meantime for bred cows, we'll keep them and have all those shiny, black calves the buyers want.
Third, my husband has built himself up a pretty good business selling the hay instead of feeding it to the cows. He made alot more money in hay sales this winter than what he'll ever get out of the cattle.
Fourth, we have to buy bulls anyways because we lost one a month ago and the second one is a bit of a poor breeder. That's obvious from the lack of calves were getting from him. :roll:

Honestly, the thought of selling the cows and quitting the cattle business cold turkey is a bit of a frightening concept. I'm hoping I can talk him into buying 30-40 steers to feed every year. I NEED cattle on this place to keep me occupied! I have already offered my services to the best friend part time just so I can be around cows. I've had a few weeks to accept the idea that we won't be having any of our own, but I'm still not used to it. I seem to develop this huge lump in my throat and my eyes start to sting with tears. Lord, I'll be a blubbering fool the day they sell.

Shelly said:
Honestly, the thought of selling the cows and quitting the cattle business cold turkey is a bit of a frightening concept. I'm hoping I can talk him into buying 30-40 steers to feed every year. I NEED cattle on this place to keep me occupied! I have already offered my services to the best friend part time just so I can be around cows. I've had a few weeks to accept the idea that we won't be having any of our own, but I'm still not used to it. I seem to develop this huge lump in my throat and my eyes start to sting with tears. Lord, I'll be a blubbering fool the day they sell.

Oh my Shelly, I would be as bad as you. I have a hard time selling some of the culls. I can't imagine quitting cold turkey like that :cry:

Good luck Shelly in your future. Keep your chin up and try to think positive. The good Lord might have something really great in store for you and you just don't know it yet!!!

That would be hard to sell the cows, but hopefully you and hubby can come up with a plan that works for both of ya. Don't feel bad about getting teary eyed, it happens even to the tuff ones..Good luck

Shelly said:
Yesterday I mentioned we were buying black bulls, well there's two or three reasons why.
First, this is my last calving season. The cows are to be sold this coming fall or winter.
Second, the cows will sell better being bred black. And, if the market goes all to hell in the meantime for bred cows, we'll keep them and have all those shiny, black calves the buyers want.
Third, my husband has built himself up a pretty good business selling the hay instead of feeding it to the cows. He made alot more money in hay sales this winter than what he'll ever get out of the cattle.
Fourth, we have to buy bulls anyways because we lost one a month ago and the second one is a bit of a poor breeder. That's obvious from the lack of calves were getting from him. :roll:

Shelly, the problem with selling hay is..........when you got hay,so does everyone else,when you dont have hay.........no one else does either,been there done that,its always a good thing to be able to turn your surplus into Lbs. of beef,then to the sale barn,but good luck in what ever you decide......................good luck

He has established himself with a market for the hay, lots of dairy farms willing to pay for what we cut, bale, and deliver. We've had the same customers for quite a few years now, and if we would've had more this year, we could've sold it.

Well maybe hay sales is your calling,especially to dairy's, around here land is changing hands so fast its hard to establish a solid customer base,have a few old folks I sale and or bale for but not many anymore,most sold for big money and moved or retired...........good luck

Shelly said:
He has established himself with a market for the hay, lots of dairy farms willing to pay for what we cut, bale, and deliver. We've had the same customers for quite a few years now, and if we would've had more this year, we could've sold it.
She is right-heard said the money is in the grass-whether through the cows or sold?(However yu could ask for a comprimise?If he quits buyin black bulls yu can keep "a few"and he can sell the rest of hay? Just an idea

the guy I am farming with thinks I am a fool to put $130 hay into a cow.... especially when these Texas guy pull into the yard and pay CASH.

I just sit there and smile, and asked him if he remembers 3 years ago when we were dumping hay below production costs, and were just happy to see it moving???

everything goes in cycles.......I like to spread it out and have a little of everything, kind of an eggs in one basket approach.

I may have to head up there and get a load of those Herfs!

One thing is for sure...things change, nothing stays the same.

When one door closes, another one opens. We just need to see
it.

Good luck, Shelley. Just because you are selling cows now does
not mean you will NEVER have cows again. After
all your calving woes from last year you deserve a REST!
Hang in there!

I wish you the best!

I am wishing the best for you Shelly. I think FH said it about right; that nothing is static in life. Maybe you should look into keeping the cows(or part of them), selling off the good hay and keeping the mediocre hay, then going into a summer calving program. You mentioned that you like to feed a few calves, and that would fit right in with that program. Those late calving cows do not need much for fancy hay or supplements. It might even be in the cards to sell your good hay, and buy other producers poorer hay for a lot less dollars. It seems to work well for NR.

Just throwing it out there to think about. My advice is probably worth about what you gave me for it. lol.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, but it is a done deal if cow prices stay fairly reasonable. Our cow herd is made up of pretty young females, sure there's an odd crock here and there. But hubby says they're going, none are staying.

As for the rest, FH, I could use one already this year. Everything was going great till we got hit with some damn viral scour that's going through all the calves. Even a few cows got sick. And now that we're just about done calving, I'm getting lazy about checking cows and have lost two in the last three weeks. First one was born dead (it looked rather funky) and the second one was my fault because I didn't go out when I should have. And the two year old bull dying didn't help either. Had an autopsy done for insurance purposes, he had an allergic reaction to something in the feed! Go figure. :roll:

All this added up makes me think of the pros and cons about selling the cows, I can come up with more pros than cons.

Shelly...if you feel its the right thing to do it is :) There are times in this industry a person feels like they're banging thier head against a brick wall,there are days we totally think your heading in the right direction.

Latest posts