• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oklahoma rancher dragged to death by calving cow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

That's a sad deal. It could happen quite easily too. A very good cattleman I know that lives in the area got dragged in the same fashion but was fortunate enough to have a happy ending. I always think of that when assisting an unrestrained cow out in the open.

Sad deal for sure. If I live to be 75, I hope I am not out in pasture trying to pull a calf on an unrestrained cow. For his families sake I hope they didn't have to witness this as I don't think you could ever get that out of your mind. The feeling of helplessness of watching something like that would be more than I would want anyone to beare.

In the man's defense. To understand the mentality of a 75 year old you have to live to be 75. Not there yet.

This happened to a neighbor several years ago. He went to pull the calf and put a piece of baling twine around the calves legs. He then took a good wrap around his wrists to pull. The best everyone could figure is the cow got up at some point and took off. His family found him the next morning. Really a sad deal but it reminds you what can happen when you aren't careful.

Oh My... The older I get the less I want anyone else doing things around our cattle. I catch people, including vets, putting themselves into dangerous positions.

If you look at the statistics on deaths from cow interactions, the demographics show a life time of experience, but an age of really reduced reaction time. The cattle are only trying to survive from their own perspective. Maiming us is only a reaction to surviving.

I had an almost bad experience like that when I was in my twenties......and stronger and quicker. Snuck up on one that was stuck at the hips, when the cow spooked and took off. I was able to keep pulling her to the side to keep her slowed down a bit, and the calf finally let go. I have been able to hook a few with a calf hook and pull by hand.
e8141ae1ffe45a29e6db32e8f1de2bfb

This post reminded me to tell my "boys" not to get hooked onto a calf chain because what could happen. The response, "who the hell does that"?

Latest posts