• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oklahoma

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Thoughts and prayers to the folks in Moore, Ok who are in the middle of a horrible tornado and its aftermath. Hoping for the best. There are lots of families who could use our prayers tonight.

I can't begin to imagine what those folks are going through. Hopes and prayers from here.

I can imagine what the parents of those kids are going through ringt know. Sending hopes and prayers for all in the wake of the storms,

Mike said:
Didn't a devastating tornado hit that same town a few years ago?

Prayers.....

Yes sir May 3, 1999. This one generally followed the same path for a while, but the other one went up I-35 a long ways. Many more casualties in this one though.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Where do you start on a clean up like that? Just finding shelter for everybody will be a major feat. :???:

Prayers.

Unfortunately, they have been through this before and have the know-how on what to do. Just like any other awful, crappy event, gotta just dive in. It just suck though.

I have a second cousin that lives in the area affected. Here is his report:

Yesterday seemed like a war.

One minute we were at a funeral of a friend. The moment was peaceful and humbling.

Then a police officer interrupted the service to say there was a tornado heading toward us and everyone was rushed into the halls for safety. The following moments were spent avoiding the Hugh violent tornado. One moment you're watching a part of nature so few get to see so "close up". And the next you see what happens when there is total devastation in what just a few minutes ago was so normal. All the rules change in a blink of an eye. No power, no stores, no gas, no public restrooms, people on foot carrying what they can to safety. Traffic stands still for hours. Cell phone service is sparse at best. What was a 25 min. Drive becomes 6 hrs and the stories of hardship are too many to process at one time. It makes you think how life would be if the country were to fail. But then you see the people of Oklahoma spring into action and just handle it. It's amazing to see what these people are made of. These people as a whole give their all. The kindness and generosity is piling up so fast it's amazing. Everyone knows their job and what happens next. It also is amazing to see so "close up."

I am so thankful that my family is ok and hopefully so are my friends. The community so hard hit was where we raised our boys. I hope today doesn't bring bad news of anyone we know. Oklahoma has a way of life that everyone should see "close up." Even with these tornados it's the best! The people are second to none and I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

Many prayers going out from here.

Jersey Lilly has a facebook page and she mentioned Thumper was with
his other grandmother in Oklahoma and they were on their way to shelter and both were okay. Here is what she wrote:

Prayer warriors!!! Thumper is at Slades moms in Oklahoma and they are headed to the school to take cover from a severe storm in the school basement as I type this. Please pray for their safety!!!!

many out here send their prayers and will continue to pray...

it makes any troubles we may seem to be facing seem small and trivial...

this morning a friend said it well... all winter folk kept saying why do we live here.. with hurricanes and floods and all...after seeing the devastation that only gave them a few short minutes to prepare.. .. what we get isn't often and ain't as bad.. and we get a few weeks notice to prepare...

take care.. and we pray that those rebuilding their lives today..

Steve

It is so hard to imagine such devastation and the tragedies as more bodies are discovered, worse yet for survivors to bear will be those who are never found.

A story on the weather channel, I believe, is an explanation for the more severe damage for this tornado, is that the funnel was twice as wide, two miles, versus one mile for the one a few years ago.

Seems like there should be better designs, and maybe there are now, for both homes and mega-buildings to help them survive even the worst of tornadoes. We do seem many earth sheltered homes when travelling through those areas south of NE, at least.

It is good to see people helping themselves. Staying as busy, doing productive things,helping others, when we are hurting, too, is a balm to the soul in times of trouble.

Those folks will need prayers and kind thoughts and deeds from others for a long time!

mrj

mrj said:
It is so hard to imagine such devastation and the tragedies as more bodies are discovered, worse yet for survivors to bear will be those who are never found.

A story on the weather channel, I believe, is an explanation for the more severe damage for this tornado, is that the funnel was twice as wide, two miles, versus one mile for the one a few years ago.

Seems like there should be better designs, and maybe there are now, for both homes and mega-buildings to help them survive even the worst of tornadoes. We do seem many earth sheltered homes when travelling through those areas south of NE, at least.

It is good to see people helping themselves. Staying as busy, doing productive things,helping others, when we are hurting, too, is a balm to the soul in times of trouble.

Those folks will need prayers and kind thoughts and deeds from others for a long time!

mrj

Our friends who live in Oklahoma have an underground concrete bunker.
They had it built and I think it was about $2500, but I don't know the size.
She's a Montana girl that is very scared of tornadoes. Have heard from them and they are safe, and aren't in that particular area.

the underground bunker is a prefab storm shelter..every home in oklahoma should be required to have one..kind of like insurance it may seem expensive but well worth the money when you need it...there were two tornados on May 3rd 1993..the Moore tornado got more publicity because it affected more people but the other one that was just as big started south of Crescent OK and stayed on the ground to Perry OK for a distant of about 45 miles...this one traveled corner to corner on on of my places....i ended up loosing close to 30 head in the deal....when you experience this yourself it makes a lot of other problems in your life seem insignificant for sure

Latest posts