• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Barn?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stretch

Reaction score
I have an old barn here on the home place that is in serious need of some repairs roof,paint and replacing all 6 doors ect. I have only owned the place a little over 5 yrs but have been around it all my life. It is about 30x50 (outside measurements) and has a place in the middle that I have about 16-1800 small squares in now and a place on both sides that would provide room for about 3-4 pair on each side in calving season. Have to admit I have a soft spot for barns but darn the cost of repair is likely to outrun the return. What would you do with it tear it down or spend the time and money rebuilding it..??

I am in the same situation. I want to tear down and rebuild. wife wants to fix the old barn....

cost less to start with a new barn, but I am betting momma gets her way!

Stretch, if the skelton is in good shape I would keep. It we just redid a roof, fixed one door, rebuilt the pens and built pens inside a barn, oh yeah, and painted one recently. I try not to think about how much it cost until I think about how much it would have cost to build a new one. We we still have to reside it in the next few years but just didn't want to through more money at it. Getting the roof redone did wonders for it...

Now, I ahve about 20 more doors to rebuild and replace on the farm and one barn that is a tear down... Hard to do that when thse buildings were build without using nails.

Jigs we might have to have a community fixerup day.... :lol: I don't think we are to far apart.. Ever heard of Thompson Neb?? I'm just minutes from downtown Thompson........ :lol:
IL Rancher the structure is ok needs a little reinforcing and 4-6 in of straightening on a wall. It's biggest problem is a hole that a P*** Elm Tree started on the NW corner that needs attention soon. I have to admit that new isn't cheap and it is so easy to just rip it down and build something like a pole shed but the place just looses something. It has a windmill that is about 50-75 ft NE of it that is about 50-55 ft tall and the two together really fit. I wish I could find a barn that is falling down and someone would make me a deal on cleaning it up for the boards that would really be a find.... :D Maybe I'm a fool for even considering it but darn the landscape just doesn't seem right if there isn't a barn on the place..... :wink:

We have three great old bans on this property... I wish I could bring them all back to their glorty but we shall see. A lot of abuse over the years. The old dairy barn needs a lot of work.. Wish I had the money to do it but I don't... Nifty old building. The beef barn is the one closer to here with the working facilities and stuff. It is fixed now but the south side really needs new wood or metal siding.. I want wood siding but the cost... If it was my place I would take a rent check every year for three years fixing these three old barns to their glory...

The other old beef barn... The middle, orignal part is great.. the lean toos need to be ripped off... That and a new roof and some paint and windows and it would be great.. Than the old corn cribs... Man, it is never ending, not to mention the other house... Only so much money, that is why these places are in the shape they are.. NO one cares when they don't use them or when they don't live there.

I've seen quite a few old barns that were sound in structure but needed lots of cosmetic surgery after years of neglect. Colored steel siding and roofing made them look like brand new while still maintaining the character of the old building. Could be cheaper than a new one!

I'd stick it on E-bay as a possible bed and breakfast for somebody to move and fix it up. :) If you are close to a bigger town it could happen especially if there is any history behind it.

I'm guessing you will be fixing it up though.

have a cold one

lazy ace

the_jersey_lilly_2000
Post pictures of it....pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :D

I will try to but might have to have a little help, haven't mastered posting pictures on here yet... :?

the guy we bought this place from had hogs near the barn...foundation and sill are shot. not sure it is worth the repairs.

I wondered about doing a pole barn, then moving the roof over from the barn....

lack of cash slows every project.

Couldn't tell you Jigs.. The old dairy barn from this pace has a milking parlor and a.. whatever the place where the cows wait to be milked is called, under a hay barn.. Barn is built into a hillside... You can still see parts of the old limestone foundation but they replaced it sometime with a cement one.. Neat old barn, always pretty comfy in their for the animals, lots coller in the summer and warmer in the winter... If the floor of the hay part was in better condition it would be a great place to store squares and such.. But it has seen much better days..

Hogs just destroy things.. No ifs,ands or buts about it. They used to run pasture hogs here and there were also two farrowing houses that are still in good shape... These farms around here are interesting if the barns survived as there were a lot of the old MacDonald type farms. 160 acres, pigs, dairy, chicken, beef, feedlot for steers and growing crops in an old fashion rotation... Would have been interesting to see instead of the 1000's of acres of monculture that we have now

IL Rancher said:
Couldn't tell you Jigs.. The old dairy barn from this pace has a milking parlor and a.. whatever the place where the cows wait to be milked is called, under a hay barn.. Barn is built into a hillside... You can still see parts of the old limestone foundation but they replaced it sometime with a cement one.. Neat old barn, always pretty comfy in their for the animals, lots coller in the summer and warmer in the winter... If the floor of the hay part was in better condition it would be a great place to store squares and such.. But it has seen much better days..

Hogs just destroy things.. No ifs,ands or buts about it. They used to run pasture hogs here and there were also two farrowing houses that are still in good shape... These farms around here are interesting if the barns survived as there were a lot of the old MacDonald type farms. 160 acres, pigs, dairy, chicken, beef, feedlot for steers and growing crops in an old fashion rotation... Would have been interesting to see instead of the 1000's of acres of monculture that we have now
I agree on the lack of culture with the advancement of time..... I would give my left nut to live in this world 100 years ago....I would love to begin farming with an old Johnny Popper, and a 6 foot disc.

Keep the old barn. My dad's barn is a 93 year old Gambrel roofed barn and they've had to do a lot of fixing, but it is worth it due to the history of it.

I'm getting a new barn soon and have based it on my dad's Gambrel barn. I like the looks of old barns.

Here is photo of my barn this is the south side. Tired but proud she stands.. 8)
Barn_1.JPG

Oh what a neat old barn. I sure wish we had an old barn. Well actually there are two..but they are tiny barns. I would dearly love to tear em down and rebuild them here around the house. They were built by Mr Lilly's grandad.

Your givin me ideas...that are prolly gonna git me in trouble LOL

Oh My Gosh!!!!!!!! That looks exactly (well, not really exactly) like the barn that's on my dad's place, where I grew up!!!!!!!! Really the only difference I can see, is that we never covered up the (we called it) hay hole, so you could unload off a big trailer, right into the barn. After we'd get a load of hay, I'd climb up to where I could see out that window, and just sit and dream for hours at a time when I was young......had a great view of the house (in case mom came looking for me, I could skitter down and go hide somewhere :shock: :oops: :lol: ) and a good part of the "field".

Great pic, thanks for sharing it, and mostly, thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories!

Nice old barn, but it does look like you could put a fair bit of cash into it to make it shine again. Keep in mind that you can build new barns that look like old ones, for alot cheaper than you may think. Check out this site, it's one of my favorites for day-dreaming:

www.barnplans.com

Yikes.. That barn is in need of some TLC.. If you do decide that it is a no saver there are some strange folks who might be interested in buying it, taking it apart and than rebuilding and turing it into a house somewhere... Actually, they are not all that strange and the houses that they make are often just awesome on the inside.. Makes me think about the third barn on this place that well, might need a match and a gallon.

Latest posts