• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Bull of the day 3-28-08

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nortexsook

Reaction score
Well any thoughts on this fella?

Appollon.JPG

I'll probably get way-laid on this one since this is probably one of the cornerstones of the Charolais breed. But, since I'm not a student of the breed and don't know any history about the cattle, I'll just take a shot in the dark...

If I'm going to use a Charolais bull I'd like to get some muscle in the package, this ol' boy doesn't seem to answer that request very well. On the other hand, he looks to be a bull that would offer some calving ease with his smooth and long design, so he might just take care of the necessary added growth and heterosis that you might desire on some nice black cows without creating calving issues.

Then again, I could have missed it completely :!: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
IF he is Charolais #1 he probably is responsible for the murder of many little Hereford cows. :cowboy: :cry:

But I would guess his IQ was just as high as the IQ of the cattlemen that bought those obviously larger bulls and bred those 400-600 lb. heifers, expecting a 30-40 lb. calf? :roll:

Is this bull Appollon? Looks like a yearling pic.

Big Swede said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
IF he is Charolais #1 he probably is responsible for the murder of many little Hereford cows. :cowboy: :cry:

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!

Yep- My old Vet friend said that the Continental craze paid for his Clinic :shock: :wink: :lol:

Think he would probably do well on the track. Had my old wellbred Running Quarter horse mare outrun many a time by a char bull built like him.What's his stride length at the quarter mile pole? :D

Mike were you thinking about Ortolan? or could this be Neptune?

I've always wondered about how the first 2 brought to the King ranch in south Texas from Mexico back in 1936 looked.

The Charolais bull picture is the one and only Appollon. The bull that was said to have "established the market for exotics".

Latest posts