• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

old cedar post

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
The big old cedar post, It is gone now as the new owners tore everything down. I no idea on when it was set, but it was many years before my birth. It is gone now the new owners tore down all the generation of previous owners improvements. It set about 10 feet north of a tack room , which had been a garage that had been moved and added as a lean too on the big barn. Two Powder river gats hung on it one went to the corner of the tack room the other was the back gate on the little pen going up to the loading chute. There was still a L hinge on the front side for a gate that was with a corral I had never seen.
But what I remember most, was Big Dad ( my Grand father) tying colt up to the post with a raw hide bosel head stall and a big around, long soft cotton rope. Then the next day he rub the colt down with a burlap sack. Then blankets and a saddle . A day or so later I came in. He tie the long cotton rope in a big loop rain and the rest . he wrap around the horn of his big heavy saddle. He grab the colts ear and I swing on top of it. Of all the time I remember there might have been a crow hop or a jump or two, never any bucking.He ride over , lean down a lift the horse shoe off the pole gate a push it open. He lead me around the hay meadows. This was a spring ritual for many year. One time He didn't tie me a rein , we was down in the meadow . me with a hand on the saddle horn, there was a big Ten wheeler truck spreading fertilizer. We got a a little close and Big dad lost his dally. Oh the race was on , I had nothing to control the colts head and it just ran. Straight for a tight net wire fence, I could see a wreck and kind of slid off the side and rolled before the colt did a tight turn, that I probably wouldn't of stayed in the saddle anyway. My Cousin used the horse later when she was Fair Queen. One spring we broke a filly and cold we raised they both came out of the same stud, The mare was a sweet heart , would give all and was cowy as get out. The colt a knot head. Later that summer we pack salt out on him , We set out the sack that was on top and scattered three of the blocks I put rock in the panyard on one side to equal the load. Big Dad said "don't lash it down , we are not going far". Well the lead rope picked up a broken sage brush and that blue roan did a bout 2 big crow hops the rocks and salt block took the air out of him. Then we pulled the back saddle and I threw my saddle on . but before head back to camp , we had worked back to the forest gravel road, we pulled the knot heads front shoes and I road him the 5 miles back to camp. With the cold looking at every rock on the road. Still wonder how many colts ever got tied to that old cedar post ?

That not head blue roan gelding , we let a outfitter use him that fall in his hunting camp. One trip of the Grey Back , he was last on the pack string hauling out elk. they went over a big fallen log, the roan moved and crossed next to where all the rest of the horses went over. The spot it picked had a sharp broken branch . Gutted him right there. The guides sad there was no love lost as they move the load to other horses along with the pack saddle.

Latest posts