• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Movies!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowboyup said:
You have that right Faster Horses :!: Mclintock and Red River are my all time favorite movies. Jimmy Stuart was another great oldtime western movie actor. His voice and mannerisms put him right up there with John Wayne.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance--old one with both the greats -Wayne and Stewart...Then you add in Vera Miles and Andy Devine- they don't make them like that anymore........

Most any movie that has been made from a book, is never as good as the book. Except for "All the Pretty Horse". The movie was waaay better.

I don't know as I have a favorite, but I loved the book, "The Rounders" and the movies was pretty fair. Any cowboy who reads the book and doesn't laugh out loud at the antics of "ol' fooler" the horse, ain't a cowboy! :wink: The book was written by a cowboy and it shows it in the storytelling.

Best book ever written by a cowboy about cowboys is Last Buckaroo by Mackey Hedges and a close second and third are "Jim Kane" and "The Outfit", by JPS Brown. It don't get any better about real cowboys and the life the lead in the more modern days. IMHO

Faster horses said:
Lee Marvin starred in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with John Wayne, I remembered him and not John Wayne...fustrating...

My husband really liked the Cheyenne Social Club with Henry Fonda and James Stewart.

You're right- I'd forgotten Lee Marvin- he was the bad guy gunman who worked for a ranchers group on the battle against the homesteaders and towns people in the fight against statehood....Woody Strode the black ex-football player was John Waynes hired man......Lot of good ones in that show....I always thought the theme of the political turmoil of the that time period made the show interesting- a lot like what actually took place in the battles with the old open range cattle barons-- reminders of the Johnson County wars and the imported Texas gunmen....

I can't remember who played the drunken Newspaper owner- but he was another good actor.....

Cheyenne Social Club was a good one--Harley had a cowboys prayer come true :wink: ...

Yul Brenner----loved anything he played in!! another favorite "western" was The Apple Dumpling Gang" with Don Knotts and Tim Conway!!! My kids would even like that one....if I could find it!! :?

Randolph Scott was an insitution where western movies were concerned and one of my favorite actors growing up (he was soooooo handsome :wink: ) but I never heard what happened to him either; and I have wondered from time to time.

Speaking of Peter Fonda, I have a lot of respect for him (as much as I do not respect his sister). He moved to Montana years ago, lived quietly, tried to fit in and not make waves. You just never heard too much about him and I always thought that said alot about him.

He was good in "The Wooly Boys" for sure.

Another actor that I like that doesn't get much mention is Peter Strauss.

Oldtimer said:
Faster horses said:
Lee Marvin starred in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance with John Wayne, I remembered him and not John Wayne...fustrating...

My husband really liked the Cheyenne Social Club with Henry Fonda and James Stewart.

I can't remember who played the drunken Newspaper owner- but he was another good actor.... ...

I was out checking heifers and it popped in my mind- Edmond O'Brien...

Beautiful out there right now- Temp is 35 and NO WIND-- can hear the coyotes yipping down toward the creek- owls hooting toward the river....

We got about .05 of an inch of rain this afternoon and some pretty good NW winds- but tomorrow the East winds are supposed to return, but more moderate than they were......

Ummmm I did a search, for Randolph Scott, cuz I remember the song by the Statler Brothers, but didnt really know who the man was........Read the list of facts.......

http://www.nndb.com/people/938/000043809/

ewwwww

sorry ya'll.....I didnt know it would say anything like that.......ick.... :gag:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Ummmm I did a search, for Randolph Scott, cuz I remember the song by the Statler Brothers, but didnt really know who the man was........Read the list of facts.......

ewwwww

sorry ya'll.....I didnt know it would say anything like that.......ick.... :gag:

Yup, that's what's happened to the industry. :x :cry:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:

ewwwww

CARY GRANT?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Ohhhh...I think I am heartsick...or am I the last person on earth to know that they were....uhhh...you know!! :shock: :shock: :oops:

Latest posts