• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old photo's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
Here are some old photo's taken in the 1880's of this and surrounding area. Thought some of you might enjoy them.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/23/from-the-archive-frontier-life-in-the-west/2713/

Jinglebob said:
Here are some old photo's taken in the 1880's of this and surrounding area. Thought some of you might enjoy them.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/2011/02/23/from-the-archive-frontier-life-in-the-west/2713/

Great pictures, Jinglebob. Thanks for sharing the link. Number 23 with the deer in front of the tent, and the singalong for "happy hour" is quite unique. Then numbers 55 and 56, roping a buffalo and roping a wolf, are great photos. That would take quite a bit of speed and talent to accomplish either of those tasks.

Soapweed said:
Jinglebob said:

Great pictures, Jinglebob. Thanks for sharing the link. Number 23 with the deer in front of the tent, and the singalong for "happy hour" is quite unique. Then numbers 55 and 56, roping a buffalo and roping a wolf, are great photos. That would take quite a bit of speed and talent to accomplish either of those tasks.
From what I read, they would catch a wolf at a kill and chase him while he was full, then wouldn't run so far or fast, and of course, relay him. Grampa and a cousin ran one until he went in a waterhole, then they killed him . I never heard how they killed him. Ammo was expensive.

Dad always told about running a coyote down when he was a kid, on his Indian pony. Finally the coyote got winded and ran under a sand stone sticking out from a hill. Dad couldn't find anything to kill him with, so took his bridle off and used it to club him to death. I asked if he wasn't worried about his horse leaving him. He just smiled and said, "He wasn't going anywhere." No, I suppose he wasn't!

I have run a coyote down with a horse and speared it with a pitch fork. Deep snow, and the coyote wouldn't stay on the cow trail. Took about a mile to get him tuckered out to the point I could get him.
The few times of chasing buffalo, they told me, you usually break their wind pipe if you rope them.
I see in the picture that they have him by the horns.
Great pictures. Thanks!

LazyWP said:
I have run a coyote down with a horse and speared it with a pitch fork. Deep snow, and the coyote wouldn't stay on the cow trail. Took about a mile to get him tuckered out to the point I could get him.
The few times of chasing buffalo, they told me, you usually break their wind pipe if you rope them.
I see in the picture that they have him by the horns.
Great pictures. Thanks!
Had a neighbor with a neighbor who's young female buffalo wouldn't stay home. when they got everything penned at branding time. the buff just jumped the corral fence and stood around outside. As soon as they got the calves sorted off, some of the "ropey" young guys got on their horses and built to her. Got her necked and heeled and stretched out. Then let her up and a couple more took to her and did the same. the guy who told me about it said they roped her 'til she wouldn't run no more. they left her and went back to the branding. The buff went home and stayed home. Said it didn't seem to hurt her and they didn't care if they did kill her as she was such a pain. So I think that breaking their windpipe is an old wives tail or doesn't happen very often.

Scotty Philips nephew, who worked for him, gives a good account of roping three mature buffalo bulls and cutting them, one time, in a book written after his death. He doesn't seem to be a braggart or liar in the book. I wouldn't want to do it unless I had a real fast, well trained elephant to rope off from with a real good cinch!

Latest posts