• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

old pics

Help Support Ranchers.net:

frenchie

Reaction score
Stumbled on these old pics, don,t understand what happened with this pics

AbeDad.jpg

DadHermanHarmesevie.jpg

Paandthegals.jpg

Neat! I love old photos. Unfortunately they usually have no data about them. We have some old ones and I used a strong magnifier and found lots of interesting tidbits from clothing details, to name of newspaper being read to what song sheet they were playing on the piano. Do you know where these photo were taken?

I think over time sometimes the chemicals used for developing and processing may change colors. This may or may not have something to do with the humidity and temperature in your area. Are the actual photos marked with those purplish discolorations..or is it just when it was scanned? If it happened during scanning process, there used to be (I think silver nytrate) used in some processing that eventually turns into almost a negative affect. Hard to say what happened without knowing if pic looks that way or just scanned copy. Either way they are still neat old photos.

This is what I found out later last nite.

Photos were take in the late 40,s
northern Manitoba Canada on my ranch.Photo shows

my dad driving the tractor and Abe Cairns his hired man on the combine.

The photo of the 2 men, the girl and the dog was taken at grampas homestead site.1948?

Man on the left is my dad , the other is a fella name of Herman Harmes

The girl is Evie Jamison ,daughter of dads widowed housekeeper.

Bottom one is dad chasing the gals in the late 40,s no idea who all the gals are :D . can,t ask dad as he passed on 2 yrs ago.

Ok..sounds to me like there was a silver chemical used in developing and processing. When the light from your scanner passes over the picture it gets a reflective reaction. That's something that happens sometimes but at least your pictures aren't discolored like that.

frenchie said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
. Are the actual photos marked with those purplish discolorations..or is it just when it was scanned?

Happened when I scanned the pics in.

Can you change your scanner software to Black and White when scanning? That might get rid of the discoloration.

Either B&W or gray scale works for me. Or run it through your Photo editor and convert it to B&W to remove the colors.

Mike said:
frenchie said:
the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
. Are the actual photos marked with those purplish discolorations..or is it just when it was scanned?

Happened when I scanned the pics in.

Can you change your scanner software to Black and White when scanning? That might get rid of the discoloration.

Either B&W or gray scale works for me. Or run it through your Photo editor and convert it to B&W to remove the colors.

Seems to go too dark.Will experiment a bit

Latest posts