• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old songs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancher

Reaction score
I heard this while I was feeding today, been awhile. Tom T. Hall

OLD DOGS, CHILDREN AND WATERMELON WINE

"How old do you think I am?" he said.
I said, well, I didn't know.
He said, "I turned 65 about 11 months ago."

I was sittin' in Miami pourin' blended whiskey down
When this old gray Black gentleman was cleanin' up the lounge

There wasn't anyone around 'cept this old man and me
The guy who ran the bar was watchin' "Ironsides" on TV
Uninvited, he sat down and opened up his mind
On old dogs and children and watermelon wine

"Ever had a drink of watermelon wine?" he asked
He told me all about it, though I didn't answer back
"Ain't but three things in this world that's worth a solitary dime,
But old dogs and children and watermelon wine."

He said, "Women think about they-selves, when menfolk ain't around.
And friends are hard to find when they discover that you're down."
He said, "I tried it all when I was young and in my natural prime;
Now it's old dogs and children and watermelon wine."

"Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes;
God bless little children while they're still too young to hate."
When he moved away I found my pen and copied down that line
'Bout old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

I had to catch a plane up to Atlanta that next day
As I left for my room I saw him pickin' up my change
That night I dreamed in peaceful sleep of shady summertime
Of old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

The other side of the story:

THE FATHER OF THE BOY NAMED SUE
[Silverstein's speaking voice:] "Okay… now years ago, I wrote a song named "A Boy Named Sue", and that was okay and everything, except then I started to think about it, and I thought, "It is unfair. I am looking at the whole thing from the poor kid's point of view. And as I get more older and more fatherly, I begin to look at things from an old man's point of view. So… I decided to give the old man equal time. Okay. Here we go."

Yeah, I lef' home when the kid was three.
It sure felt good to be fancy free
Tho I knew it wasn't quite the fatherly thing to do.
But that kid kept screamin' and throwin' up
And pissin' in his pants til I had enough
So just for revenge I went and named him Sue.

It was Gatlinberg in mid July
I was gettin' drunk but gettin' by
Gettin' old and going from bad to worse
When thru the door with an awful scream
Comes the ugliest queen I've ever seen
He says my name is Sue. How do you do?
Then he hits me with his purse.

Now this ain't the way he tells the tale
But he scratched my face with his fingernails
And then he bit my thumb
and kicked me with his high-heeled shoe.
So I hit him in the nose, and he started to cry
And he threw some perfume in my eye
And it sure ain't easy fightin with a boy named Sue.

So I hit him in the head with a caned-back chair
And he screamed, "Hey Dad, you mussed my hair!"
And he hit me in the navel and knocked out a piece of my lint.
He was spittin' blood. I was spittin teeth.
And we crashed through the wall and out into the street
A-kickin and gougin' in the mud and the blood and the crème de menth.

Then out of his garter he pulls a gun.
I'm about to get shot by my very own son.
He's screamin' about Sigmond Freud and lookin' grim.
So I thought fast and I told him some stuff
How I named him Sue just to make him tough.
And I guess he bought it, cuz now I'm livin' with him.
Yeah, he cooks and sews and cleans up the place.
He cuts my hair and shaves my face.
And irons my shirts better than a daughter could do.
And on the nights that I can't score,
Well, I can't tell you anymore.
Sure is a joy to have a boy named Sue.
Yeah, a son is fun,
But it's a joy to have a boy named Sue.

On XM Radio they play a lot of Tom T. Hall on Hanks Place and America.
Lots of country songs we've never heard before. Love that XM radio. I have a problem getting sleepy if I drive very far and the XM radio sure helps in that respect. Good music that never runs out of station area and good talk shows as well.

Today I heard a beautiful Garth Brooks old style Country Western Song that I had never heard before. I don't know if it is an old song or something new he came out with. On XM you can punch the knob and it will tell you the singer and the name of the song (if it isn't too long). I pushed the knob and it said the song was "Cowboy Song". Have any of you ever heard him sing that one? Or is it brand new? It was really, really good.

FH,
was it the "The Last Cowboy Song?" the Highwaymen? Used this in this years video send me an address and I will share, tell me what you think.

No, it wasn't The Last Cowboy Song. This was just 'Cowboy Song' and I wasn't sure about the 'Song' part. It was so pretty and I had never heard it before. I might do a Google search and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks for trying to help, though.

I found the lyrics through Yahoo. The song is "The Cowboy Song" written by Ray Robinson. Couldn't find a place where they actually play part of the song, though. Where do I find that? I think it may be a new song. It is on an album I haven't heard of--but then I'm not a fan of a lot of Garth Brooks. I liked his early stuff the best. Once I saw him playing the piano in the video in the white room wearing the white tux and the blood red came gushing out, I just never liked Garth as well.

If he is going to go back to music like this song, however, that would be great!

It's not very new. The first time I ever heard it was on Austin City Limits quite a few years ago and Don Edwards sang it and told the story of Ray Robinson and how he came to write the song. It's one of my favorites and I usually play it whenever I pickup my guitar or go and perform at a gathering. By the way, Don does it better than Garth. IMO.

speaking of old songs...does anyone out there remember who it was who sang "rednecks, white sox and blue ribbon beer"?? that song has been going through my head all day long....our local country station plays "oldies" on sundays...sorta nice to go down memory lane every once in a while!! also, the song "Teddy Bear"....anyone out there remember that one?? let me know so i can rest in peace tomorrow when i get HOME!!!

Ranchwife,
I remember all those good CW songs from the 70's; I think those were the best. I also listen to early-mid 70's rock n roll because I was in High School then and I enjoy them immensely. I guess you just can't beat the best decade of all... the 70's!

Hanta Yo said:
Ranchwife,
I remember all those good CW songs from the 70's; I think those were the best. I also listen to early-mid 70's rock n roll because I was in High School then and I enjoy them immensely. I guess you just can't beat the best decade of all... the 70's!
my favorite oldies are the REAL rock'n'roll of the 50's!!! but, the country of the 70's cannot be beat...especially by today's wanna be's who use the genre to "crossover" (ahem....faith, shania)

ranchwife said:
speaking of old songs...does anyone out there remember who it was who sang "rednecks, white sox and blue ribbon beer"?? that song has been going through my head all day long....our local country station plays "oldies" on sundays...sorta nice to go down memory lane every once in a while!! also, the song "Teddy Bear"....anyone out there remember that one?? let me know so i can rest in peace tomorrow when i get HOME!!!

"Red necks, white sox and blue ribbon beer"........Johnny Russell http://danndona.tripod.com/cc9.html

"Teddy Bear".......Red Sovine (I think)

We have a local radio station that plays the "oldies" during the lunch hour. "Teddy Bear" is a regular during that hour.

Haven`t heard "Teddy Bear" for some time. Other "golden oldies" haven` heard for a while were by: Connie Francis, Leroy VanDyke, and Sheb Woolie[sp].

EJ said:
Haven`t heard "Teddy Bear" for some time. Other "golden oldies" haven` heard for a while were by: Connie Francis, Leroy VanDyke, and Sheb Woolie[sp].

how about loretta lynn, barbara mandrell, waylon jennings, jerry lewis, cw mccall, johnny rodriguez, mel tillis, charlie pride, charlie rich, johnny lee....could go on forever!!!

Oh, All you you young feooers. Back when I was in high school, there was Born to Losee, and Piistol Packing Momma. Oh yes and a World War II song, Drinking Rum a Coco-Cola. Might tell you the history of that one some time.

was lucky enough to attend a George Strait concert last week, he sang for two hours, only took out enough time to introduce his band. not many if any better than George. he sang a song I had never heard before, about if you are looking for him he will be rocking on his porch in Texas, I hope not a retirement song.

EJ said:

Over our way we have a classic country station that plays nothing but. It must be doing good because it's still going strong with all the songs mentioned here. Funny how a guy never gets tired of them. I couldn't even tell anyone what's new in country, never listen no more.

Mike said:
Just give me Merle Haggard! If he were the only singer around it would be just fine with me.
Absolutely!!! when i was little(er) :wink: i loved "rainbow stew" and "okie from muskogee"....the man can still carry a tune in a bucket (without the lid)....another favorite whose voice still makes me weak in the knees is the late, GREAT Conway Twitty!!! Has anyone but myself heard the new "kid" on the circuit who sounds astoundingly like conway?? his name is jeff bates and the sound of his voice will give you goosebumps and make you believe in reincarnation!!!

Latest posts