• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old songs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

As far as old songs go, some of my favorites are by Marty Robbins and George Jones.It's good to see George Jones still alive and kickin'!!!
My Dad used to have a ton of "Country Song Roundup" magazines from the '50's and '60's. Maybe some of you remember them?? They had the lyrics to the popular songs of the day printed in each issue. I think he must have tossed them because I don't remember seeing them when I helped him move after he retired. Too bad, as I would consider them priceless now!!! :cry: :cry:

Denny Blowers said:
Fletch said:
Are most of the new ones really country?

NO they are more like soft rock and bedtime songs

more like wannabe rappers and rockers :? :cry: sure miss the stuff i grew up with....reading all those names you are posting sure bring back memories!!! johnny paycheck, marty robbins, etc.....tim, have lots of the old fashioned "records" (remember, the big old vinyl) given to me by my dad!!!

Just read through all these posts--like a stoll down memory lane.

Clarence, I don't remember your songs, but do you remember the song about the 'Model A'. Usually I can remember the words, tonight because I want to post some of the words....my memory has failed me.

My forgetter works really good, it's my rememberer that's shot.

I've even heard "I won't go hunting with you, Jake, but I'll go chasin' women" on XM. That used to be one of my dad's favorite.

He used to sing a lot of songs to me: Strawberry Roan, Little Joe the Wrangler, When the Works all done this fall, etc. Now he is 87 years old and is in failing health. It was a nice memory for me this evening, thinking about all those old songs he used to sing for me.

He was a real joker, too. Like the song "My dad gave my dog away". I liked it and Dad would start to sing it real nice for me. About the time I would relax to really enjoy it, he then would sing, "My dog gave my dad away", just to get my goat.

Didn't get to know my grandpa too well as he died when I was about eight-- But I can remember the songs he used to sing and play on the violin-- taught me the same on the guitar-- Whenever I hear "Red River Valley" ( his favorite) I think of him.........Still like the old "cowboy" story songs like Strawberry Roan the best........ The local watering hole I frequent has many of the old songs on the juke box-- makes for a howling good time as everyone joins in.......

Faster Horses-"He used to sing a lot of songs to me: Strawberry Roan, Little Joe the Wrangler.."

FH, My great grandfather's nickname was Little Joe the Wrangler. I never knew there was a song by that name. He died before I was born but his name was Joe and he was not very tall as well as being a horseman/trader/ trapper/farmer.
I'll have to see if I can find that song on the net!!!!! Thanks! :lol:

Geuss I'm the odd one out. (ain't the first time) Usually prefer talk radio, but also like rock, especially "classic" rock. Have learned to like much of the modern stuff so don't argue with the kid about what to listen to, but draw the line at rap! Hate it with a passion. Figure if I don't slow down I won't grow old. LOL

Ian Tyson is hard to beat. I gave my cousin (remember Roanie? he gave up the bull session because he spends all of his spare time on eBay) a CD of Ian's, called "All the Good 'Uns". He had never hear of Ian Tyson before, but now he is just as hooked as me.

Just today I heard Suzy Bogguss singing "There's a young man that I know....." Ian wrote that song, and it has put plenty of jingly in his jeans. His cowboy songs are all just top of the line.

Other favorite singers are Johnny Horton, Billy Walker, Connie Francis, Emmy Lou Harris, Ray Price, R.W. Hampton, and the Sawmill Creek Band. I like to listen to the piano playing of Floyd Cramer and Frank Mills, and Lloyd Green can put chills down your spine when he lets loose with a steel guitar.

Good music and good books are truly the spice of life.

Soapweed, In the days BC(before children) it was a Sunday morning ritual at our house to play Ian Tyson's "Cowboyography" album.(33 &1/3 rpm vinyl). It just seemed to fit!!!!
I don't know the right or wrong about Claude Dallas but I surely like Ian's song. :lol:

This is so neat listening to all of your history, and love of the good music.

My grandpa used to play in a band, he played the banjo, guitar, piano, and who knows what else. He had the music on sheets, that's where I learned "Ghost Riders In The Sky", "Baby Elephant Walk" (on the clarinet) and many other wonderful songs. He played well with his band, especially the "tumbleweed song". That is one of my most favorite of all. With the background singers, you could exactly imagine the tumbleweeds blowing about. What those bands did without technocology :) , but they did just fine. Techno taught us something and I don't think it is such a great thing in some respects, but the world keeps 'a turnin'

Cal, you're not alone, I prefer rock, too. I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's, and now they call that classic rock. Liked it then, like it now. And there's a whole lot of new stuff I enjoy, especially Nickelback. And not just because they're Canadian! I can listen to country and there is some I like, but I wouldn't want to listen to it all the time.

Soapweed said:
Ian Tyson is hard to beat. I gave my cousin (remember Roanie? he gave up the bull session because he spends all of his spare time on eBay) a CD of Ian's, called "All the Good 'Uns". He had never hear of Ian Tyson before, but now he is just as hooked as me.

Just today I heard Suzy Bogguss singing "There's a young man that I know....." Ian wrote that song, and it has put plenty of jingly in his jeans. His cowboy songs are all just top of the line.

Other favorite singers are Johnny Horton, Billy Walker, Connie Francis, Emmy Lou Harris, Ray Price, R.W. Hampton, and the Sawmill Creek Band. I like to listen to the piano playing of Floyd Cramer and Frank Mills, and Lloyd Green can put chills down your spine when he lets loose with a steel guitar.

Good music and good books are truly the spice of life.

Soapweed you had better come to Assinaboia Sask. for the 15th of April. The Sask. Stockgrowers are bring Ian Tyson in for a concert. It was supposed to be "The border is open party" but may have to become "A open the border party. :cowboy:

Soapweeds got it right. I like Ian Tyson. But also Don Edwards, Jesse Ballyntine, Wylie and the West and many more who are singing "new" old cowboy songs.

I very seldom listen to the radio and when I do it's driving down the road. So talk radio or classic rock.

When I was in high school (I called it prison) all they would play at dances was rock and I hated it, but now (30 years later) I enjoy those old songs. I hate todays new rock and most "country" from today.

But I have pretty eclectic tastes. Anything that sounds good and isn't too harsh, unless I'm driving late at night and need to stay awake.

One of my favorite songs is "Darktown Strutters Ball". I grew up listening to my folks dance band who played songs from the 20's to the 40's or 50's. Just music, no singing.

My husband has me hooked on the 60s. Mitchell has a radio station that we listen to. When we haul fats to market, we leave at night. Husband takes the simi and I the truck and trailier and it nice knowing he's bee bopping to the same music as I am. My favorite: Mustang Sally.... I excercise to Ray Charles.. Heyyyy, Hooooooooooo,Hey, Ho, I gotta women who lives way cross town...I gotta women

Latest posts