• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old time nostalgia & cooking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

fedup2

Reaction score
I found this site while searching for oldies music. Its kinda neat. Everything from cooking, TV, fads, etc.
http://www.oldetimecooking.com/

That's a neat place to go, fedup2. I especially love the red velvet cake..it is still my very favorite. Speaking of old, old recipes, I ran across this one (won't post it in the recipe thread, not everyone raises their own turkeys :shock: )

"HOW TO FATTEN A TURKEY, MAKE THE DRESSING, AND ROAST IT

Get your turkey 6 weeks before you need it; put him in a coop just large enough to let him walk, or in a small yard; give him walnuts -- one the first day and increase every day one until he has nine; then go back to one and up to nine until you kill him, stuffing him twice with cornmeal dough each day, in which put a little chopped onion and celery, if you have it.

For the dressing, use bread, picked fine, a tablespoon of butter, some sage, thyme, chopped onion, pepper, salt, and yolks of two eggs, and pour in a little boiling water to make it stick together; before putting it into the turkey pour boiling water inside and outside to cleanse and plump it; then roast in a tin kitchen pan, basting all the time. It will be splendid, served with a nice piece of ham and cranberry sauce.
NOTE: Recipe copied from a VERY, VERY OLD cookbook"

Taken from "Cooking with Love" from the Havre Assembly of God Church.

I've got a very very old cookbook of my great Granny's, dated 1834 or something. It's neat readin through there with the wife. They list ingredients that no one nowdays has even heard of. Course they use lard in everything, clabber milk was another one.

EWwwww I remember mama makin clabber.....Yuck!!!!!

I also spent my fair share of time sittin at the kitchen table with the churn between my feet........churnin butter milk to make butter.

I can't eat cottage cheese to this day because it is chunky n lumpy like that clabber milk.........Can't do plain sour cream either......
Ok "Imma gonna stop now, givin myself the willies....... :gag:

Latest posts