• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Olds Alberta

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Is anyone around Olds? I am thinking I will be there in the fall to go to school. The only two issues I have are the closest person I know to there is in Lloyd, and the second one being I won't be around for harvest. I think the easiest thing to deal with is the metting new people. Hopefully I will be able to meet some of you guys on my adventure! Tough to choke down not being home to help get the crop in, it feels like I'm abandoning the farm. My two biggest priorities in life have always been family and the farm. Not looking to being eight hours away from my life!

Anyone around their willing to take a homesick kid for a ride in the combine? :lol: But seriously, I am thinking about a road trip out there pretty soon to try and meet some people, hopefully will be able to meet someone that could help me out with this! If anyone would be looking for part time work in the fall let me know, that would be great! Let me know and I will make some plans to come out and meet you, hopefully have a look at your operation!

Thank you, and God Bless!

Alex

if your goal is to go home and take over the family farm, then you NEED to go to school a long ways away. just for the break, and the experiance. it will make you a lot more prepared to sit in one spot the rest of your life!

jigs said:
if your goal is to go home and take over the family farm, then you NEED to go to school a long ways away. just for the break, and the experiance. it will make you a lot more prepared to sit in one spot the rest of your life!

Jigs said it perfectly. Get away from what you know so you can appreciate what you have when you go back home!!!!

School used to be done in late April so you will still be home in time for planting.Also some of the crop might be off in August. The work will still get done and you will have many more crops to harvest. I imagine Olds has changed some in the 30 plus years since I attended but from reading the Alumni review it might have gotten better. :D
Better get your application in soon, when you get going there I bet you will find some other students from not that far from home.

good luck to you! you sound like the kind there should be a lot more of. pretty good advice by these guys too. you aren't abandoning the farm and don't let it distract you from putting all your focus in school - you will appreciate the farm that much more when you get back and it you. another good deal, i don't know the population around your farm/home area but if you are related to everyone in a 50 mile radius maybe you'll bring home some new blood.

by the way - always wanted to ask how do you take an angus cattle shower?

If everything goes according to plan the eldest daughter will be going to Olds in the fall. I'll be sure to warn her about you :shock: :lol:

Some of the other ranching families around have done is sent their kids to get an education in something other than ag. so that they have something different to bring to the table when they come back to the farm. I did electrical for 7 years before I came back and not to brag but it has saved to farm a lot of money on maintance and new buildings. One other thing you have the rest of your life to work. Go out and see the world meet new people because the older you get you find out that you just don't have time for that kind of stuff.

we have a hired man looking at going to college this fall in Ag Production. I am trying to talk him out of it. I tell him that he can learn everything they will teach him, right here. If he wants to go to school go get a welding degree, or SOMETHING that is a backup plan. you never know what can happen in this world, and farming is not exactly a solid secure future....

Don't worry, I'm covering my ass. I have been working on Rural Entrepreneurship Finance Certificate, I'm taking different kinds if things too. With enough school I could sell chemical/tractors/manage an agribusines.

Seen the writeup in POWERMANAGER on the Lakeland Student managed farm. Man that would be nice to get to use state of the art equipment. That and the fact that Vermillion is only 4 or so hours from home is starting to turn that into a very real possibility.

ACS.........If you decide on Lakeland you won't be lonely....2/3'd are fr : om Sask & the rest are just puttin in time til they move here! :lol: :wink:

what ever school you go to you will come out of with lifetime friends and memorys the way things are today you will probably change occupations several times in your life but a good solid ag education will stick with you for a lifetime.I went to fairview in 80/81 for ag .although it was not as strong in cattle subjects as i would have liked it did give me a solid background in soils and finances that i wouldn't have got if i had went to work right outof high school.

Latest posts