• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oldtimer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tam

Reaction score
Just who do you think made this comment and when?

Past experience shows that the findings of only a single case of BSE within a year's time provides little assurance that the disease is contained

Is BSE in Texas contained or should that state be under quarantine like R-CALF thinks Canada should be?
Is there a targeted testing going on in Texas like R-CALF demands there should be in Alberta?
R-CALF also commented on the 7 year ban on exports on countries that have discovered BSE, should the US be exporting beef and cattle to say CANADA?

In another rambling comment they also ask about the 3 1/2 month lag time from the time the cow was turned over to the vets and the announcement, but in true R-CALF style all facts were wrong.
What about the US's lag time was the USDA questioned or thanked for delaying the announcement ?
Under the R-CALF USA's proposed framework for strengthening U.S. Resistanse to BSE
c. obligates our trading partners to immediately cease all exports and to immediately begin the quarantining process upon a preliminary finding of BSE

Now we all know the Texas cow was discovered in Nov. 2004 but it took until June 2005 to get a confirmed positive back from the U.K. did R-CALF demand Texas be quarantined in Nov. when the first and second inconclusive tests and the one test that was positive, but tossed as it was just an experiment, were found? Did they ever demand a quarantine of Texas?

It goes on to say that all cattle imported from Canada were to be marked so they could be immediately identified. Is R-CALF demanding that all Texas cattle to be marked with a big T so the rest of the US states, Canada and Mexico knows they come from a State that is known to have BSE?

What I found a bit strange was this was dated May 30 2003 and already R-CALF had a framework supported by their menbership and affiliates that was ready to take to the CONGRESS to which they urged the Congress to personally contact the USDA and to "encourage them to implement the R-CALF proposed framework as soon as possible. They worked almost as fast as Cebull did in putting out his ruling. :wink:

Tam- You and many Canadians forget that R-CALF can not put any restrictions on/ or put into effect any rules...They do not have the Godlike status you and many others give them.....The corporate ruled USDA is the rule setter....

But from day one they have asked USDA for openess with the public and producer, the strictest of testing, the strenghtening of our BSE safeguards rather than the reduction, the freedom for private packers to test, M-COOL so the final choice can be left with the consumers, and if it comes to it- testing all to protect the consumers & US herd, and to maintain consumer confidence.....

And I think they have taken the correct course- something our governments should have learned from the disasters in Britain and Europe.

Oldtimer said:
Tam- You and many Canadians forget that R-CALF can not put any restrictions on/ or put into effect any rules...They do not have the Godlike status you and many others give them.....The corporate ruled USDA is the rule setter....

But from day one they have asked USDA for openess with the public and producer, the strictest of testing, the strenghtening of our BSE safeguards rather than the reduction, the freedom for private packers to test, M-COOL so the final choice can be left with the consumers, and if it comes to it- testing all to protect the consumers & US herd, and to maintain consumer confidence.....

And I think they have taken the correct course- something our governments should have learned from the disasters in Britain and Europe.

No Oldtimer but they don't seem to have a problem with asking their Members of Congress to encourage the USDA to
work cooperatively to implement our proposed framework as soon as possible.
Gee I bet they were hoping the NCBA didn't have time to come up with a framework that the USDA could also look at. According to this little comment to the Congressmen dated MAY 30 2003 the entire R-CALF membership and affiliated associations were standing ready to assist in any way possible to get their framework implemented as soon as possible. Talk about steamrolling the whole industry into what they wanted. They also didn't seem to hesitate in taking the USDA to court when the USDA didn't take their every word and incorperate them into the final rule like Cebull did his court ruling. I think their comment was :cry: "Well this was the only way we could get anyone to listen to us" :cry2:
But from day one they have asked USDA for openess with the public and producer,
Is this a "do as I say not as I do" request Oldtimer? because from Day one R-CALF has lied about the whole BSE issue just to further their agenda to stop trade with the Canadian cattle/Beef industry. And if what they were saying wasn't a lie then why are they not asking for a QUARANTINE OF TEXAS? Why do you refuse to answer a simple question Oldtimer. I'll ask you again and I will highlight it so you know what I want you to answer . If All Canadian beef is tainted and a genuine risk of death to US Consumer as R-CALF and Cebull says it is and R-CALF wants it shut out to protect the US consumers why are they not asking to have Texas beef quarantined as it is at just as much risk of risking the health US consumers as our first case was when they started their crusade against Canadian Beef. Come on Oldtimer answer the question.
something our governments should have learned from the disasters in Britain and Europe
Why is it that the governments are to learn but the cattle industry plays dumb until something is crammed down your throats. We told you that you had problems bigger than those you claimed we had but R-CALF still took out Newspaper ads talking about the highest standards in the world and the Safest Beef in the World and how all beef coming from a country affected by BSE is unsafe, (except of course that coming from the US with their safeguards that have loopholes and firewalls that did stop the BSE infected meat from entering the food chain) and all the rest of the crap we have had to listen to for the past two plus years. Only to have to listen to you say well we can't open the border because we have a right to have the same safeguards in place as Canada has. :lol: :lol: :lol: R-CALF is a JOKE and I think the US consumers must have realized that as the fear mongering you did has not hurt beef sales in the US even though Canadian beef is flowing and so are our cattle. I know I know the US consumer don't know because you don't have M'COOL. To that I have to ask who reads the New York Times and the Washington Post that R-CALF was targeting with their ads and who listens to consumer groups that Leo said they were using to get their message out. CONSUMERS

Tam- You're ranting again....Causes terrible wrinkles on the face :wink: :lol:

As far as what we should be doing- I'm not sure we should not be testing all OTM's in both countries--Like I've always said "err on the side of safety" and "economics should not override safety"....I definitely feel because of Canadas much higher ratio and their cluster area (or pattern area or bunch area or whatever you want to call it) that they should test all OTM's....Right now, with 1 cow in as big a herd as we have doesn't worry me that much- especially if the USDA would concentrate testing on Texas-- but if more show up-thats another thing...Right now we would have to have something like 70+ cases to have a statistical incidence rate as high as Canada

Tammy- How come you didn't criticize or critique the Canadian lady author that brought up the association of the positives coming from one area of Alberta :???: Or that she brought up many of the same things I have been questioning for months :???: Some of which are the same as R-CALF has been saying...You didn't tell me that your government and CFIA had stonewalled and not put in many of the BSE feed safeguards that you said had been developed two years ago :shock: That means what R-CALF has been saying about the Canadian BSE safeguards being inadequate was true!!!!!!

Even your adopted country's citizens are finally seeing thru the farce :wink: ...

Oldtimer said:
Tam- You're ranting again....Causes terrible wrinkles on the face :wink: :lol:

As far as what we should be doing- I'm not sure we should not be testing all OTM's in both countries--Like I've always said "err on the side of safety" and "economics should not override safety"....I definitely feel because of Canadas much higher ratio and their cluster area (or pattern area or bunch area or whatever you want to call it) that they should test all OTM's....Right now, with 1 cow in as big a herd as we have doesn't worry me that much- especially if the USDA would concentrate testing on Texas-- but if more show up-thats another thing...Right now we would have to have something like 70+ cases to have a statistical incidence rate as high as Canada

Tammy- How come you didn't criticize or critique the Canadian lady author that brought up the association of the positives coming from one area of Alberta :???: Or that she brought up many of the same things I have been questioning for months :???: Some of which are the same as R-CALF has been saying...You didn't tell me that your government and CFIA had stonewalled and not put in many of the BSE feed safeguards that you said had been developed two years ago :shock: That means what R-CALF has been saying about the Canadian BSE safeguards being inadequate was true!!!!!!

Even your adopted country's citizens are finally seeing thru the farce :wink: ...

Tam,

I think OT is forgetting they had two cases of BSe in the US. Still cant tell me that cow was infected in Canada when she spent most of her life in the US. I think we could give OT all the true facts and we still couldnt get it through that concrete head of his! :roll:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
Tam,

I think OT is forgetting they had two cases of BSe in the US. Still cant tell me that cow was infected in Canada when she spent most of her life in the US. I think we could give OT all the true facts and we still couldnt get it through that concrete head of his! :roll:

MR- I take it you have little faith in your CFIA then-Eh? They investigated and concluded that it was probably infected in Canada at a young age- and accepted it as a Canadian origin :???: So did OIE....

Gee Oldtimer our insurance lady was here today and she said I hadn't age at all, since the last time she was here which had been more than a few years. :wink:

That said You are trying to divert attention away from the questions asked. PLEASE stay focused here OLDTIMER.
Has or is R-CALF demanding the quarantine of Texas as they have BSE in their Herd. YES OR NO

Has R-CALF demanded targeted testing for Texas? YES or NO

and Last if they haven't WHY NOT? They did when BSE was first found in Canada
Personally I don't care what you think I want to know what R-CALF is demanding be done about the BSE problem in Texas. They are the ones that made the statement about
Past experience shows that the findings of only a single case of BSE within a year's time provides little assurance that the disease is contained
on MAY 30, 2003. They had no Idea that we had any other cases and that sure didn't stop them for asking for quarantines and additional testing in Canada. They by this statement have no idea how big the US problem is in Texas so if they care about CONSUMER HEALTH they should be insisting on quarantine and testing of TEXAS as well. If they aren't that tells us just how high on the scale Consumer health is in R-CALFs eyes. But I guess we already knew how high it rated when Leo defended the rights of some R-CALF supporters to come to Canada and buy feeder cattle after BSE was found here, just so it could be slaughter in Canada and shipped into the US to feed the US consumers. Please answer the questions :x

Tam- You will have to ask the R-CALF leadership your questions- I don't know exactly who all they talk to or what all they ask for....

Now that Leo left the throne, who will you have to blame?

What about my questions-- You've been awful quiet about the editorials :wink: :lol: ...

Oldtimer said:
Tam- You will have to ask the R-CALF leadership your questions- I don't know exactly who all they talk to or what all they ask for....

Now that Leo left the throne, who will you have to blame?

What about my questions-- You've been awful quiet about that editorial :wink: :lol: ...

You are the strong R-CALF supporter so call them and ask them what they are doing and Report back as you say
I'm not sure we should not be testing all OTM's in both countries--Like I've always said "err on the side of safety" and "economics should not override safety"..
I know they are demanding Canada be shut out because of economics (HIGH CATTLE PRICES IN THE US) and I can bet it is also economics and a bit of safety that stopped them from demanding anything be done about Texas. The economics of all those Texan membership dues and The safety of their new President, I'm sure he would like to go back to TEXAS to care for his RANCH. :wink: and Leo may have left the throne but I doubt he or Bill have left the building. And why should I answer your questions you still haven't answer any of mine you just divert and pass the buck.

Tam- I'll ask them next time I see one- Just for you :wink:

And I never really expected an answer on the editorials- Your silence has spoken volumes :!: :lol:

Latest posts