• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

On the growth implant issue...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Grassfarmer

Reaction score
I just received this forwarded email this morning pertaining to the safety of growth implants in our beef. Hope it isn't too long a read for anybody :wink:

Hormones in U.S. Beef Linked to Increased Cancer Risk

Samuel S. Epstein, MD

Professor emeritus Environmental & Occupational Medicine

University of Illinois Chicago School of Public Health

Chairman, Cancer Prevention Coalition,

Chicago, Illinois

via World-Wire.com

CHICAGO, IL, October 21, 2009 --/WORLD-WIRE/-- Beef produced in the United States is heavily contaminated with natural or synthetic sex hormones, which are associated with an increased risk of reproductive and childhood cancers, warns Dr. Samuel S. Epstein, Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition.

"Increased levels of sex hormones are linked to the escalating incidence of reproductive cancers in the United States since 1975 - 60% for prostate, 59% for testis, and 10% for breast," Dr. Epstein says.

The hormones in past and current use include the natural estrogen, progesterone and testosterone, and the synthetic zeranol, trenbolone, and melengesterol.

When beef cattle enter feedlots, pellets of these hormones are implanted under the ear skin, a process that is repeated at the midpoint of their 100-day pre-slaughter fattening period, Dr. Epstein explains. These hormones increase carcass weight, adding over $80 in extra profit per animal.

Also, Dr. Epstein says, "Not surprisingly, but contrary to longstanding claims by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), residues of these hormones in meat are up to 20-fold higher than normal."

"Still higher residues result from the not uncommon illegal practice of implantation directly into muscle. Furthermore, contrary to misleading assurances, meat is still not monitored for hormone residues," Dr. Epstein emphasizes.

Nevertheless, he points out, the FDA and USDA maintain that hormone residues in meat are within "normal levels," while waiving any requirements for residue testing.

Following a single ear implant in steers of Synovex-S, a combination of estrogen and progesterone, residues of these hormones in meat were found to be up to 20-fold higher than normal.

The amount of estradiol in two hamburgers eaten in one day by an 8-year-old boy could increase his total hormone levels by as much as 10%, particularly as young children have very low natural hormone levels.

Not surprisingly, Dr. Epstein says, the incidence of childhood cancer has increased by 38% since 1975.

These concerns are not new. As evidenced in a series of General Accountability Office investigations and Congressional hearings, FDA residue-tolerance programs and USDA inspections are in near total disarray, aggravated by brazen denials and cover-ups.

A January 1986 report, "Human Food Safety and the Regulation of Animal Drugs," unanimously approved by the House Committee on Government Operations, concluded that "the FDA has consistently disregarded its responsibility - has repeatedly put what is perceives are interests of veterinarians and the livestock industry ahead of its legal obligation to protect consumers, thus jeopardizing the health and safety of consumers of meat, milk and poultry."

On January 1, 1989, the European Community placed a ban on meat imports from animals treated with growth inducing hormones. This had a direct impact on the U.S. beef industry, which uses hormones in more than half of the cattle sent to market each year.

Twenty-years later, on May 6, 2009, the European Union and the United States settled their long- running dispute over hormone-treated beef. Under terms of the four-year deal the EU will be permitted to maintain its ban on hormone-fed beef. In return, the EU has agreed to increase the amount of hormone-free beef that can be imported from the U.S. without duty.

It is well recognized that American women have about a five-fold greater risk of breast cancer than women in countries that do not permit the sale of hormonal beef.

However, as recently confirmed by studies of cancer rates in Los Angeles County, the most highly populated, ethnically diverse county in the U.S., the low risk in Japanese women in Japan increases sharply in Japanese immigrants to the United States after one to two generations.

This, and a wide range of other studies in migrant populations, is evidence that avoidable causes of breast cancer include adoption of Western dietary habits, particularly the consumption of hormone- laced beef.

Samuel S. Epstein, M.D. is professor emeritus of Environmental and Occupational Medicine at the University of Illinois at Chicago School of Public Health; Chairman of the Cancer Prevention Coalition; and a former President of the Rachel Carson Trust. His awards include the 1989 Right Livelihood Award and the 2005 Albert Schweitzer Golden Grand Medal for International Contributions to Cancer Prevention. Dr. Epstein has authored 250 scientific articles and 15 books on cancer prevention, including the groundbreaking The Politics of Cancer (1979), and most recently Toxic Beauty (2009, Benbella Books: www.benbellabooks.com) about carcinogens in cosmetics and personal care products.

Read Dr. Epstein's blog on the Huffington Post at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/samuel-s-epstein

Samuel S. Epstein, MD

Professor emeritus Environmental & Occupational Medicine

University of Illinois Chicago School of Public Health

Chairman, Cancer Prevention Coalition,

Chicago, Illinois

Tel: 312-996-2297

Email: [email protected]

www.preventcancer.com

world-wire.com

In my opinion, we need to use these things in beef and all foods to be able to supply enough food for the world with the growing population we are seeing, if not, the world will go hungry. I just recently read an article that stated with the population growth, in 50 years, we will need to double the amount of food produced.

It was a pretty long read but I made it through. It must not be an issue because the FDA has not found any in the meat. Kinda like BSE.

While this is an important thing to study, I find this scientist's results to be quite ambiguous.

Quote: Following a single ear implant in steers of Synovex-S, a combination of estrogen and progesterone, residues of these hormones in meat were found to be up to 20-fold higher than normal.

How much estrogen and progesterone are naturally ocurring? Does a "20-fold higher" amount add up to a level that is detrimental? If there is no scale or frame of reference provided, then this may or may not be an issue for concern. If I have one grain of sand on my garage floor, and then I increase that by 20-fold, then do I now have a problem with a dirty garage floor? Nope.

Quote: The amount of estradiol in two hamburgers eaten in one day by an 8-year-old boy could increase his total hormone levels by as much as 10%, particularly as young children have very low natural hormone levels.

Okay, this sounds like a bad thing that we should be concerned about. When he says it could happen, is that the same as it does happen? And if so, is a 10% increase a concern? This is the same as the example above. How much is already there and what level creates some kind of change? I agree, 10% sounds like it's significant, but I don't haven enough information from what's being shared here.

Finally, this one is a doozy. Quote: Still higher residues result from the not uncommon illegal practice of implantation directly into muscle.

Really? I'd like to get to know the feedlot manager that tells his crew to implant in the muscle. Implants just don't work properly if not administered correctly, under the skin. They are designed to have a slow release of the chemical substance over a period of time. I just don't think it's realistic to make this statement. It's not profitable to do this incorrectly, so why would someone do it? Besides some ignorant outlaws that might do this, I just can't imagine that this is happening to an extent where it's worth mentioning.

Well, I imagine folks are growing tired of this argument. But I'm getting tired of the one-sided "science" and other misconceptions that paint beef production in a poor light. If we have scientific results that show where the problems are, let's get them fixed.

HP

Whats broke in the capitalist system is. That the call used to be to ere on the side of caution. now its full speed ahead till the cows out of the barn and people are dying.

Good old American greed few bucks few extra pounds ahead of peoples safety.

All the while Americans have said time and time again they will pay more for a safe food supply.

The BIBLE said it best the LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. :wink:

Pig Farmer said:

All the while Americans have said time and time again they will pay more for a safe food supply.
As an american beef producer one of the biggest things that you can do to assure that we have a safe beef suppy is to pruduce as much beef the cheapest so we don't need to import beef from the south. Same goes for you guys up in canada.
I hope that Samuel S. Epstein doesn't have a daughter on birth control. There are a lot more hormones entering the body from those pills than any peice of beef.

Andy said:
Pig Farmer said:

As an american beef producer one of the biggest things that you can do to assure that we have a safe beef suppy is to pruduce as much beef the cheapest so we don't need to import beef from the south. Same goes for you guys up in canada.
I hope that Samuel S. Epstein doesn't have a daughter on birth control. There are a lot more hormones entering the body from those pills than any peice of beef.

I am amazed more and more every day 58 years and you think you have saw it all. Yet each day that goes by people will read one article and go after the messenger.

The pill is added hormones to the body so is beef so is cereal grains. So when you introduce all of these when is to much to much.

I bet if some people were in the armed services or on a police force they would be the first man or woman down! When something is suspect how many have to get sick before its to much? Caution or care are words that got throw out for greed. ???: :???: :???:

What value is there on a human life or millions that are effected by something. My word people there is more cancer than at any time in history. Where in the helll do you think it might be coming from. Get a grip and some concern for your fellow man.

Better yet do unto others as you would have them do unto you! :???: :???: :???:

Just one more thing Epstein in all likely hood is a Jew. Do a little research on your own and just see how much of todays modern medicine as well as inventions are attributed to JEWS. It will shock you. This little nation that is attacked and was near extinction has more inventions in medicine and industry than the whole world combined.

The good Dr. Epstein appears to be opposed to a whole number of things. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Epstein ).

Kind of makes you question his objectivity doesn't it?

Amazing how there are ALWAYS two completely opposite sides and both say opposite things with lots of ammo to back them up! For instance.......

http://animalrangeextension.montana.edu/Articles/Beef/Wklynwsltr/12-19.01.htm

or........

http://www.organicconsumers.org/foodsafety/hormones091604.cfm

Take your choice on which side of the debate you would like to be, type in some word to Google and walla!!!!!!!! All the ammunition you'd ever need to fight the good fight! :D Now to just decide which side's FACTS are better? :???:

All the natural foods, plant and animal, that we eat are full of hormones, enzymes, and all kinds of organic chemicals. I'm to believe that some researcher can identify specific ill effects from just one of these hormones????? One thing Gary Taubes points out is that it is almost impossible to do accurate research on diets because there are to many variables to eliminate to get specific results.

Truth is that human health starts to degenerate when we increase the amounts of processed foods in the diet(particularly processed grain product). Limiting or eliminating animal fats in the diet is the worst thing you can do!!!!!!

Pig Farmer said:
Whats broke in the capitalist system is. That the call used to be to ere on the side of caution. now its full speed ahead till the cows out of the barn and people are dying.

All the while americans have said time and time again they will pay more for a safe food supply.

We already have a safe food supply. The majority will balk if food prices increase. Thats what the gripe was last summer high priced food because all the corn going to ethanol.You must not watch the news..

Denny said:
Pig Farmer said:

All the while americans have said time and time again they will pay more for a safe food supply.

We already have a safe food supply. The majority will balk if food prices increase. Thats what the gripe was last summer high priced food because all the corn going to ethanol.You must not watch the news..

Air head.

I guess all the shitt coming in from china is safe. Then it has not been that many years back that the mafia was extending the life of ground beef at the retail level with formaldehyde.

Denny just for the heck of it how many U.S.D.A INSPECTORS HAVE YOU EVER TALKED TO. They are thousands of inspectors short. They cannot get a day off let alone take their vacation time. They work 80 to 90 hours a week. With a schedule like that and the stress they are under fromthe packers to not shut a line down. Many just occupy the position. I know this first hand because I HAVE BEEN TOLD SO BY 4 DIFFERENT INSPECTORS. They basically are taking up space.

Sure hope nothing bites you in the butt for lack of concern. O r your chickens don't come home to roost. :wink:

Might I also ask safe by who's standard? Talk to a federal inspector and if you get one who is not afraid of his job the stories will make you sick.

Pig Farmer said:
Denny said:
Pig Farmer said:

Air head.

I guess all the shitt coming in from china is safe. Then it has not been that many years back that the mafia was extending the life of ground beef at the retail level with formaldehyde.

Denny just for the heck of it how many U.S.D.A INSPECTORS HAVE YOU EVER TALKED TO. They are thousands of inspectors short. They cannot get a day off let alone take their vacation time. They work 80 to 90 hours a week. With a schedule like that and the stress they are under fromthe packers to not shut a line down. Many just occupy the position. I know this first hand because I HAVE BEEN TOLD SO BY 4 DIFFERENT INSPECTORS. They basically are taking up space.

Sure hope nothing bites you in the butt for lack of concern. O r your chickens don't come home to roost. :wink:

Might I also ask safe by who's standard? Talk to a federal inspector and if you get one who is not afraid of his job the stories will make you sick.

Wind bag :wink:

How much food actually comes from China ??? If you feel it unsafe don't buy it.

The consumer Talks everyday the majority will pick low prices as the 1st choice. There is a smaller section of the consumers who's worried as you are and will chose what they believe to be a "SAFER" product when in all actualality it is of = or same quality but being its toted as all natural or homegrown it makes the consumer feel comfy. The american consumer speaks loudly everyday that price dictates sales otherwise Walmart would be a small business and the all natural food companies would be large scale.

Go to walmart and shop in the eggs department they have your basic run of the mill eggs at $1.59 a dozen and then they have the all natural cage free eggs at over $4 a dozen.The senior citizen living on a fixed income is going to buy the lower priced 99% of the time. Thats just a guess but they have 99 dozen vs 1 dozen so I'd guess sales depicts invetory.

And might I ask Unsafe by who's standards.

This is a double edged sword and there will be different opinion's depending on the person doing the shoping.

I feel our food in our nations grocery stores to be all safe and would'nt hesitate to eat any of it.

If those inspectors are working those kind of hours I'm sure their union could get them some fair settlements.Or they really like the overtime what $45 an hour sound about right.. Can't get time off or a vacation yeah right you did say government did'nt you government right just checking.

Denny said:
Pig Farmer said:
Denny said:

Air head.

Wind bag :wink:

How much food actually comes from China ??? If you feel it unsafe don't buy it.

The consumer Talks everyday the majority will pick low prices as the 1st choice. There is a smaller section of the consumers who's worried as you are and will chose what they believe to be a "SAFER" product when in all actualality it is of = or same quality but being its toted as all natural or homegrown it makes the consumer feel comfy. The american consumer speaks loudly everyday that price dictates sales otherwise Walmart would be a small business and the all natural food companies would be large scale.

Go to walmart and shop in the eggs department they have your basic run of the mill eggs at $1.59 a dozen and then they have the all natural cage free eggs at over $4 a dozen.The senior citizen living on a fixed income is going to buy the lower priced 99% of the time. Thats just a guess but they have 99 dozen vs 1 dozen so I'd guess sales depicts invetory.

And might I ask Unsafe by who's standards.

This is a double edged sword and there will be different opinion's depending on the person doing the shoping.

I feel our food in our nations grocery stores to be all safe and would'nt hesitate to eat any of it.

If those inspectors are working those kind of hours I'm sure their union could get them some fair settlements.Or they really like the overtime what $45 an hour sound about right.. Can't get time off or a vacation yeah right you did say government did'nt you government right just checking.

Denny the facts I posted about the U.S.D.A. INSPECTORS is real no fiction to it.

Just a few years ago there was a proposal under Bush to hire a minimum of 5000 more inspectors.

Then lets not also forget all the Government hype when the bridge collapsed up there. Yea they were going to fix the infrastructure. Yea the bay bridge has been shut down a few days ago because the steel used to repair it was inferior from china. The bridges in this country are a good way to look at just how our food safety is. that bridge over the MISSISSIPPI was bad for what 2 years before it fell and killed those folks.

Whats the value of a life. If its not close to home to some folks they could give a crap less. The typical response is well its not that many.

Whether its the food, bridges, airline, or even our Armed Forces the Government has failed time and time again when it comes to oversight of safety.

they are trained to look the other way by the bribes and kick backs.

Our dairy industry is one of the few that has a tolerance of johnes infected milk entering the milk supply. Johnes and Crohn's are said to be one and the same. Recent studies have shown the same Map markers in both diseases. We cannot ship dairy products to many countries because of this.

Do a search of the number of cases of crohns in the U.S. versus other countries. then search the numbers for Wisconsin. It should scare you crap less but I doubt even these facts can wake up the average unconcerned producer.

Most countries have mandatory testing and eradication when it comes to Johne's yet the U.S. does nothing.

:mad:

If you have ever known an individual with this. THEY LEAD A VERY VERY DISRUPTED LIFE.

The only person you are fooling or care for is yourself based on your praise for our Governments major shortcomings.

If websters ever has a contest for a picture to post beside the word gullible be sure and enter because you would win hands down. :wink:

Our products reach the consumer cheaper than what they would pay at the retailer. Go back and read my posts and you will see just how this is possible.

Our
Organic eggs 2.00 a dozen Beef cost 4.50 per pound average for all the cuts pork 2.50 per pound. That price includes all processing as well as delivery to the consumer. Other than the eggs they are picked up at the farm.

Our profit per animal is more than most people are paid for their fed out animals. We are on track in 2010 to direct market to the consumer 100 head of beef and 500 head of hogs this coming year.

Just 1 BarBque hog has an average gross of $450.00 while $250.00 of that is profit.

Right now we are 100 percent family run next year we will add 5 to 10 workers from the general public.

By the way I am through with this. I will spend my time telling the facts to the consumer and letting them vote with their dollars. I will pass this info on with article after article and let them make their own determination.

One thing is sure for the open minded consumer. If they can buy products for the same price or less and steps are taken that ere on the side of safety they have nothing to lose and quite possibly everything to gain.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Keep on sucking the hind tit of the processor all the while not caring or erring on the side of caution for your fellow citizens and consumer.

BRG said:
In my opinion, we need to use these things in beef and all foods to be able to supply enough food for the world with the growing population we are seeing, if not, the world will go hungry. I just recently read an article that stated with the population growth, in 50 years, we will need to double the amount of food produced.

Why do we need to feed the world at the expense of producing food that is less healthy for us. We over simplify our diets just looking at calories, grams of fat, (points from weight watchers is the worst), grams of protein or cost on the shelf. There is far more important things we need to be looking at, first and foremost the BALANCE of Omega 6:3. Consumers are starting to become aware and trying to increase the Omega 3's, but you can't hardly put a dent in the ratio without decreasing the Omega 6, that comes from all the products having grain and grain by-products. Every cell membrane in your body consists of a combination of Omega 6 and 3, it depends on your diet. We are learning more and more about how important this is and the unintended consequence of the cheap food system. As you all know when breeding animals, traits are correlated. Increasing one can hurt another. It's a game of balance. Food production is the same way, we keep focusing on production and yield and are making a product that is less and less nutritious.

Now, about this feed the world thing. I had a recent debate with a friend on this. I question why we need to ship all this food to places in Africa where people are starving. I see it as I do part of New Orleans, why are people living there? If we give them more food, doesn't that compound the problem, increase the population and make them more and more dependent on us? I was accused of supporting population control, which I'm not a supporter of, but the way I see it is that by removing some of our support we aren't controlling the population, we'd be not supporting/subsidizing growth. It's a tough question that needs to be asked. Our cheap abundant food system is dependent on two things, water being pumped in a good portion of the country, and fuel. The water issue is likely to be a real problem, maybe even wars fought over it, before fuel effects us. But at the same time a nuke in the middle east could cause oil to go from $70 a barrel to $300, $400 a barrel overnight and make Venezuala and Russia a world power controlling the supply. It's also assumed that the growth of our population is exponential, but you look at any population growth curve and they always level off. It has to happen at some point, and usually does naturally. A real pandemic will happen eventually, a nuclear exchange could happen. So the question is asked, do we reduce the nutritional quality of food to support what we perceive may be the higher population potential, or do we produce enough of better food to feed a sustainable population. I don't think a population that can't feed themselves is sustainable. It makes them dependent, when it comes to food I don't simply see it as a global trading partner.

I was trying to sit this one out, but temptation finally overcame good sense. :roll: :wink: Grassfarmer is the one who started this thread which condems growth implants in North American cattle that later become beef. He holds the European Union in high regard because they have a ban on implants. Two questions immediately come to my mind. Number One: Does the European Union actually "fear" the beef, or are they merely using it as a trade barrier to protect their own beef suppliers? Number Two: Why did Grassfarmer leave a wonderful country like Scotland, which does everything right, to come and live in North America, where we seem to do everything wrong?

Each and every one of us are going to die from some cause at some time. The only real counteraction to this inevitable fact is to get our lives in tune with the Good Lord so when the end comes, we get to go UP instead of DOWN. Now back to the topic of beef. It has been pointed out that cattle that receive growth implants are more efficient which allows more beef to be available to more people at a cheaper price. Is there a safety issue? From my perspective as both a producer and a consumer, there is not. In my 58 years, I have probably eaten as much beef as any other 58 year old person on the planet, most of which has been beef from cattle that have been implanted, and I ain't dead yet.

One one hand, food safety is an issue, and on the other hand too many people living in an over-crowded world is another issue. From purely a logical standpoint, why does food safety even matter? The Liberals in their infinite wisdom are trying to set up a government-controlled taxpayer-paid national health care system. If you read the fine print, they are also making provisions for euthanasia, which is controlled killing of excess people. I, for one, would much rather die from eating too much "tainted" beef than from some government bureaucrat deciding that my time was up.

Then another pet peeve is all the people that are just plumb up in arms about food safety, talking incessantly about this issue with one side of their mouth, while puffing on a cigarette with the other side of the same mouth. There are a multitude of things to worry about, but ironically it will probably be something a person forgot to worry about that will kill them in the end. The world is a wacky place.

Soapweed said:
There are a multitude of things to worry about, but ironically it will probably be something a person forgot to worry about that will kill them in the end. The world is a wacky place.

Truer words were never spoken Soap.

When we look at things from the perspective of population control, I think just like you stated, "Why worry about food safety?". Then from the perpsective of quality of life I think, "We're only here for a little while, so why in heck do I wanna raise products for a corporate-controlled system that doesn't care one bit about my quality of life?". So many questions, so few answers, however I can say this - I truly believe that we will not have to worry about population control in the near future. Change is coming, the likes of which no one has seen since WW II. With that in mind, this profit driven control of our food systems seems so short-sighted to me, as does the fight, that I sometimes take up, to see that system changed "for the better".

I believe my efforts are better spent growing food on my own land, securing a safe supply of water on my own land, and being prepared for whatever the future may hold. If we can feed some other families along the way and put a little cash in our pockets, what else can we want for?

PureCountry said:
Soapweed said:
There are a multitude of things to worry about, but ironically it will probably be something a person forgot to worry about that will kill them in the end. The world is a wacky place.

When we look at things from the perspective of population control, I think just like you stated, "Why worry about food safety?". Then from the perpsective of quality of life I think, "We're only here for a little while, so why in heck do I wanna raise products for a corporate-controlled system that doesn't care one bit about my quality of life?". So many questions, so few answers, however I can say this - I truly believe that we will not have to worry about population control in the near future. Change is coming, the likes of which no one has seen since WW II. With that in mind, this profit driven control of our food systems seems so short-sighted to me, as does the fight, that I sometimes take up, to see that system changed "for the better".

I believe my efforts are better spent growing food on my own land, securing a safe supply of water on my own land, and being prepared for whatever the future may hold. If we can feed some other families along the way and put a little cash in our pockets, what else can we want for?
[/quote]

"I believe my efforts are better spent growing food on my own land, securing a safe supply of water on my own land, and being prepared for whatever the future may hold. "
The above was PC's. The quote thingy didn't work quite right .

Some might ask if you are prepared to defend and protect your food and water on your own land when things take a turn for the worse. :? :?

PureCountry said:
Soapweed said:

Believe it or not, Pure Country, I am not so worried about the profits of the big bad evil corporations as I am staying afloat myself. For the past thirty years, I have given all of our calves (both steers and heifers) a growth implant at branding time. The one we have always used is Synovex-C, which is cleared for replacement heifers as well. With all the hoopla, I decided this year to impant only the steers and not do the heifers. This was a poor decision because our heifers were shy at least fifteen pounds of pay weight, on a year when prices are not very great at best. I will gladly not implant my calves if everyone else will also refrain. The way it is, even if I don't implant, the buyer will do so anyway. What incentive is there for me to sacrifice these extra pounds if the hormones will end up in the cattle I produce, regardless?

Latest posts