• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

On the subject of DDT

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
On another post, PureCountry and I were talking about DDT.

My own emotions are mixed on the topic; don't take this as an endorsement for DDT, because it isn't. I do remember back when it was available, we would mix a small amount of DDT with about five gallons of diesel. This concoction was poured onto burlap-wrapped chains between two posts for cows to use as a back rubber. The fly problem was solved, and cattle spent the summers being content from lack of flies. After DDT was banned in the USA in 1972, other methods of fly control for cattle were tried. Nothing ever worked as well, so I finally quit using anything for this purpose. For the past fifteen years, our cattle have been "fly-control free," but not "fly-free." Now a feeling of being all warm and fuzzy has come over me, since no longer am I polluting the atmosphere with insecticides. :wink:

PureCountry said:
Soap, the "problem" of DDT being overused and abused is the basis of Dr. Huber's arguments against glyphosate. We have used it far more than it was ever meant to be used. It's original patent being for chelation and an antimicrobial, who ever though that 40 years late it would be used the way it is today?

That said, I will never agree that DDT has a place in ag or medicine. Disease takes hold where there is compromised immunity and malnutrition. Where does malaria effect the people in the article you posted? 3rd world countries kept that way for the convenience of governments to pillage their resources. It will take alot more than a little DDT on the walls to save the people of 3rd world nations, and I don't want to get into that right now.

As for chemical use in ag, if glyphosate had been used as it was originally intended, we would not see the problems we have today. Maybe it could still be used as part of weed management strategies, but in it's current use - and abuse - it is causing immeasurable harm, just like DDT did when mismanaged.

Anyway, in listening to this talk by Lord Christopher Monckton on the subject of Agenda 21, I found his oration on DDT to be quite interesting. It is from about 9:40 through 13:40 on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hyl9YzJsQg

Monckton is notoriously inaccurate when he makes claims about science. His claims about DDT are scientifically wrong, historically inaccurate, and legally bizarre.

Whatever the problems with glyphosphates, the DDT issues were different mostly.

I've gone through Monckton's DDT presentations, and noted the errors in his longest, wildest and most rambling version of the DDT fable he tells:

http://timpanogos.wordpress.com/200...oncktons-inconvenient-and-inaccurate-history/

The large birds have make a comeback since the DDT has been banned. We have had a pair of bald eagles in the neighborhood for the last year.

PATB said:
The large birds have make a comeback since the DDT has been banned. We have had a pair of bald eagles in the neighborhood for the last year.

Want some more they hang around our calveing pasture just like buzzards easy to have a dozen waiting for some after birth. They get the cows so worked up that some will end up stomping the calf into the ground trying to keep the buzzrds away. Choot'em

The cows and calves chase any large bird out of the pasture including crows, turkeys and eagles. The calves make a game of it and it is fun to watch. The eagles help keep the woodchucks and other small animals in check. Does anyone know if they eat Possum as they are slowly moving into the area "climate change at work"?

Well when the calf can't yet stand and that Eagle has landed a few feet away the cow will get on the fight which in my experience ended up with a calf inadvertantly getting trampled.

I've seen the same thing, saw 3 buzzards I mean eagles surrounding a baby calf on the neighbors place last wk.

Denny said:
PATB said:

Want some more they hang around our calveing pasture just like buzzards easy to have a dozen waiting for some after birth. They get the cows so worked up that some will end up stomping the calf into the ground trying to keep the buzzrds away. Choot'em

Yeah- they are the same here-- both balds and those big goldens... I've seen a dozen in one pasture at a time- and had a half dozen sitting in my trees next to the house... Usually just looking for pheasants, grouse, and rabbits-- but do like afterbirth-- and make for an uneasy feeling when standing a few feet from a newborn...
Never as of yet had a problem- but as I've told my wife- I'm amazed they haven't made a quick snack of her cockapoo yet..

Oldtimer said:
Denny said:
PATB said:

Yeah- they are the same here-- both balds and those big goldens... I've seen a dozen in one pasture at a time- and had a half dozen sitting in my trees next to the house... Usually just looking for pheasants, grouse, and rabbits-- but do like afterbirth-- and make for an uneasy feeling when standing a few feet from a newborn...
Never as of yet had a problem- but as I've told my wife- I'm amazed they haven't made a quick snack of her cockapoo yet..

Ya know Oldtimer, I kinda enjoy your sparring on here, but I am thinking you just live for a fight... Telling your wife her cockapoo is a snack... At least tell her it would be a gourmet meal. :oops:

Meskin buzzards are pretty bad. They'll peck the eyes of a calf before it can get out of mama.

It's over then. When they converge to kill and eat it, Mama is going round in circles trying to fight 50 of them off.

Latest posts