• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Once Again

Help Support Ranchers.net:

And Colorado wants wolves. :rolleyes:

• Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced in a press release Oct. 6 a one-year agreement that detailed the sourcing of wolves from Oregon to be brought to the Western Slope. The relocation of the wolves comes after the 2020 vote to reintroduce wolves into Colorado by the end of 2023.

• Colorado Parks and Wildlife and Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife announced in a press release Oct. 6 a one-year agreement that detailed the sourcing of wolves from Oregon to be brought to the Western Slope. The relocation of the wolves comes after the 2020 vote to reintroduce wolves into Colorado by the end of 2023.
Maybe Canada could sell you some..
They are pretty special and command a high price.

My Grandmother instilled in me long ago that the "the only good wolf is a dead wolf".
She was born at Whiskey Gap, they had a homestead near Rawlins and she used Russian Wolf Hounds.
She detested the wolf and the damage they do.
My bucket list includes "kill a wolf".

The wolves attacked. This time it my next door neighbor. They chewed on 3 calves. None dead but I asked and was told one might make it. This is the second incident so fish and wildlife will issue a kill permit. I believe we need to kill every one of them.
This is one of my biggest fear with all this wolf conservation and reintroduction nonsense. Always require some sort of casualty rather than allowing people to proactively defend themselves and their livestock. Always paint ranchers, farmers in bad light as if they have no reasons to go after them aggressive wolves.

This is one of my biggest fear with all this wolf conservation and reintroduction nonsense. Always require some sort of casualty rather than allowing people to proactively defend themselves and their livestock. Always paint ranchers, farmers in bad light as if they have no reasons to go after them aggressive wolves.
The law here in Oregon is if a wolf is arrassing your livestock you are allowed to kill it. Which to most ranchers means if it is on your property you can kill it. If the cows are in a different field at that time they will be in the area where the wolf is long before any law enforcement arrives. The problem is that wolves are pretty nocturnal. So seeing one on your property is not very common.

Thanks for the explanation. The question is, whether the law allows you to place traps around your pasture as prevention. What you described is like the law expect people to track wolves themselves to make the decision whether to shoot them down once they entered the farm.

The law here in Oregon is if a wolf is arrassing your livestock you are allowed to kill it. Which to most ranchers means if it is on your property you can kill it. If the cows are in a different field at that time they will be in the area where the wolf is long before any law enforcement arrives. The problem is that wolves are pretty nocturnal. So seeing one on your property is not very common.
Here in Minnesota we have more wolves than the other 48 combined. My incident. We have registered cattle tagged and weighed at birth. Wolf spotted on our land by a neighbor. A calf was born, tagged and weighed. Next day no calf on that cow. No big deal calves are hidden. After a few days obvious that cow not being nursed. Contacted the DNR, no response. Weeks later I found remains of the calf while cutting hay in nearby field. Backbone, head with tag and few miscellaneous parts. Contacted DNR. To be paid I had to prove calf existed, was born alive, was healthy, I used good management and prove wolf was involved. Weeks of rain, crows and eagles on scraps. So no wolf tracks and if there were tracks had to prove wolf not dog. So in Minnesota the three Ss are common.

The only people that want wolves in Colorado are the people who are not affected by them. Unfortunately they outnumber the rest of us.

The only people that want wolves in Colorado are the people who are not affected by them. Unfortunately they outnumber the rest of us.
I don't know if they publicized it in Colorado, but 9 of the wolves sent from Oregon to Colorado came from packs with a history of killing livestock.

Based on the amount that got ate we figured the one which attacked at my place was a single wolf. No sign of it since attacking my neighbors calves 3 months ago. Elk season opened a few days after that attack. Hopefully that wolf ran into an elk hunter who is keeping his mouth shut..

I don't know if they publicized it in Colorado, but 9 of the wolves sent from Oregon to Colorado came from packs with a history of killing livestock.

Based on the amount that got ate we figured the one which attacked at my place was a single wolf. No sign of it since attacking my neighbors calves 3 months ago. Elk season opened a few days after that attack. Hopefully that wolf ran into an elk hunter who is keeping his mouth shut..
I heard that. It sounds like when they had planning meetings, which included ranchers, they said they were going to get wolves from what they termed "none chronically depredating packs". When they released them they seemed to have tried to keep everything as secret as possible. It did come out though that they were all from chronically depredating wolf packs. I've heard it's cost 1 million per wolf to get them here. And if you shoot one its up to $100,000 fine and a year in jail.

We lost 6 cows this fall, they gave us 2 kill permits. Had to be on our private or leased property, not the BLM that the cows have to go through to come home. Not right that we should have to kill them, they should have to do it.
I never thought of that but agree 100%! I know a rancher in northern CO who had several elk killed in his field by wolves. Neighbors around him had lost quite a few cattle and one had their dogs killed inside their yard. I can't remember but they gave him either pepper shot or rubber slugs.

I never thought of that but agree 100%! I know a rancher in northern CO who had several elk killed in his field by wolves. Neighbors around him had lost quite a few cattle and one had their dogs killed inside their yard. I can't remember but they gave him either pepper shot or rubber slugs.
My daughter was working in Montana in an area wolves were moving into. The control method they used was to gut shoot the wolf with a gun that the bullet went clear through. The wolf runs off and dies several days later, hopefully far away. They have nothing to prove who shot it and of course saying nothing to anyone is in order.

Latest posts