• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One for Clarence

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Clarence,
I let seeds that fell under the bird feeder just grow to see what would develop. All sorts of "strangers" grew, and I was wondering what this one is with the seed head on it.
IMG_2076.jpg

nr:

I believe it is some kind of grain sorghum. Looks like it might be in an early stage. It looks like it is sort of a loose head. Most grain sorghum planted nowdays is a hybrid, so the second year crop could be like almost anything.

Thank you, Clarence. Thought you'd know.
Will you bring your book to the get-together?

You are welcome nr. The bulk of wild bird seed is made up of grain sorghum (milo), proso millet, and sunflower seeds, maybe a little cracked corn. I often thought that a bird feed business might lead to something successful here. A limited amount of all three of these are grown here. It seems people are willing to pay more for hobby things than they are for food. Bird feed, horse hay. and horse feed, riding equipment etc. might be where the money is.

My plans are to be at the Ranchers net get together. I will bring a couple of my books along, but I doubt if we will have much time to look through them. I am rather proud of my book but don't want to try to show off. Not many dumb farmers like me would attempt to put something like that together.

We had the bird feeder hanging on the porch above a flower bed :mad: . It's amazing what a little moisture and heat can do for that mix of plants to grow. Esp. that sorghum and millet.

Clarence said:
Bird feed, horse hay. and horse feed, riding equipment etc. might be where the money is.

My plans are to be at the Ranchers net get together. I will bring a couple of my books along, but I doubt if we will have much time to look through them. I am rather proud of my book but don't want to try to show off. Not many dumb farmers like me would attempt to put something like that together.

Great, I'm glad you're coming, too. :D You're the 18th person to sign up :!:
I imagine there will be some others besides myself interested in your book. Quite a challenge to take on oneself .

People around here put out bags and bags of birdseed. I've tried growing sunflower seeds but just as they ripen the squirrels move in. Last year I tried covering the seedheads with bags but the squirrels tore through those in the blink of an eye, pesky critters.

Latest posts