• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One more day

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
One more day of these warm temps and wind and we would have been rid of most of the ice in the yard. The creeks were running this afternoon and there isn't much snow left in the hill. dad and i drove up north and checked on the cow herd. they are looking great and we just had problems getting up one hill that was wet and slippery and a short stretch on trail that has high grader ridges on both sides and always blocks. Dad is 91 and been on this ranch 66 years and has seen a few open winters but remembers the tough ones better.

we've managed to lose most of our snow and a lot of the ice over the last few days. at least now, i can walk from the house to the shop with out having to take baby steps the whole way. :)

Setting posts yesterday--trying a bud box. 12" auger, 2" of frost on some, none on most. No down pressure on 3 pt--some went right down, fat guy on a pole on others.

Yep last couple of days were beautiful... We set a new all time record high for the date yesterday at 51 degrees and a lot of our snow left
BUT
I'm starting to believe it will hit -15 tonight with -30 windchills as forecast...At 4AM it was 38 degrees- at 6AM it was 20- and now at 9 AM it is 14... With 35-45 mph wind howling... Forecast windchills tonight of 30 below... Where the snow/water didn't leave in the wind- its going to be a skating rink...

I better quit drinking coffee, get off the computer, and go feed before it gets too much colder- altho I may have trouble finding a deep enough hole to feed in to keep all the hay from blowing away...

Oldtimer said:
Yep last couple of days were beautiful... We set a new all time record high for the date yesterday at 51 degrees and a lot of our snow left
BUT
I'm starting to believe it will hit -15 tonight with -30 windchills as forecast...At 4AM it was 38 degrees- at 6AM it was 20- and now at 9 AM it is 14... With 35-45 mph wind howling... Forecast windchills tonight of 30 below... Where the snow/water didn't leave in the wind- its going to be a skating rink...

I better quit drinking coffee, get off the computer, and go feed before it gets too much colder- altho I may have trouble finding a deep enough hole to feed in to keep all the hay from blowing away...

about the same here, the temp has dropped 20 in the last hour or so. wind is howling out of the NW. there is some snow in the air at times but isn't suppose to amount to much.

Same here, Justin. First the rain was sideways and now the snow. :roll: However, our daughter who lives in Wyoming, says it is snowing there. She went into town and found the roads are slushy on top of ice. And the temperature is dropping fast.

SD forecast: (we've pretty well gotten used to wind blowing hard every day, (YUK), but not the temps they are calling for).
Day: Very windy with snow. Highs around 39°F. Wind chill around 26°F. Very windy, with a north northwest wind 29 to 38 MPH, gusting to 53 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 90%. Additional snow accumulation between one inch and one and a half inches expected during the period.

Isolated Snow Showers Night: Windy with isolated snow showers. Lows around -4°F. Wind chill around -27°F. Windy, with a northwest wind 15 to 29 MPH, gusting to 40 MPH. Chance of precipitation near 25%

Temp still dropping- down to 5 at the house now at noon... Neighbor up on the border says its below 0 there... Getting wind gusts over 55 mph- making it hard to keep your footing on the ice...
Wind gusts are so bad they've even shut down moving the trains til it goes down...

I see where several highways in North Dakota are now closed... Blizzard warnings out for much of that state...

Big Muddy rancher said:
Miserable day out there. That wind is biting, quite the change from the water running yesterday.

agreed. at times you can't see across the yard, five minutes later the sun is out. back n forth, back n forth…..

No post holes being dug along the frozen banks of the Sheyenne.......We are in the polar vortex I reckon.......Although a couple days ago we were gifted with a 41 degree day,10 degrees warmer than Houston Tx.!!

I could'nt tell you the last time we had 40 degrees the snow just keeps adding up and it's cold. Suppose to get -50 f tonight with the windchill it was -8f on the bank clock at 4:30 this afternoon and the wind is clipping along at a pretty good pace with no relief in the near future.

The bus never ran again today. If it's 40 below or worse the school busses are cancelled. Kids love it, grown-ups with chores not so much.

Latest posts