• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One thing about the shark cage

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
It is a labor saving device. I know it looks like kind of a pansy way of accomplishing a mere tagging project,
but it makes what used to be a two-person horseback job taking quite a bit of time, into a one-person fairly fast operation.
The Kosmo Kid is both brave and athletic, but he sure sees the advantage in having and using this contraption.

I'm having trouble putting up current pictures. Anything I've photographed in March seems unavailable to gain access to.
Everything stalled out on the 29th of February. Must be a Leap Year glitch of some kind.

These pictures are from 2007, when we first got the cage. We'd really hate to be without it anymore.

HihoSilverawwwwwaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.jpg

Hi Ho Silver, aaawwwwwaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy
Findingavictim.jpg

Finding a victim
Thisaintthewaythecowboysdoit.jpg

This ain't the way the cowboys do it.
Andoutofchutenumberonecomesablackso.jpg

And out of chute number one comes a black son of a gun
Yeehaw.jpg

Yee haw
Puttingonanametag.jpg

Putting in an ear tag
Inthesharkcage.jpg

In the shark cage
Youcanhaultheminthisthingtoo.jpg

You can haul them in this thing, too.
Findingtherighttag.jpg

Finding the right colored tag

SW - I know the folks here that developed and marketed the cage caught a lot of flack about what the temperament of their cows must be. They run a lot of hired help, and even if they never have a cow attack the cage, the reduction in liability would have been worth it I am sure. As well, it is hard to measure the value of not getting rolled by a cow. It's kind of like insurance, or vaccinating. When you don't do it and find out you should have, it can be pretty darned expensive.
Our ground doesn't facilitate such a contraption, but it is about the only way I would consider tagging our calves at birth around here (in fact tagging calves at birth is one of the key reasons we abandoned any aspirations of purebred breeding).

Many yrs ago, this ol' boy i know got laid off @ the smelter--actually, they were on strike--

His wife got tired of lookin at him and told him to go find somethlng to do. He found a job helping feed cows---'10 bucks a day, 3 hots and a cot' as he put it.

They were feeding outa a long stack, little bales, with a 20' stock truck.

The long time hand he was helping would back in like a pickup--after several days of this, my friend said 'y'know, LeRoi--we could kinda tidy this up, and pull in parallel--pack the bales 8', instead of 20.

LeRoi looked at him and replied 'Whattsa matter---don't you like to work?"

Well, i must not 'like to work'.

And you do something often enuf, and often tired and sometimes slippery conditions with animals that are never totally predictable---sooner or later, you can get hurt.

If there's a quicker, easier, safer way----I'm in.

A cow of any breed is like a gun. Treat each one as if it is loaded. A person is more apt to get hurt by some old pet cow than by a mean one, because being around some old pet, you tend to let down your guard.

Soapweed said:
A cow of any breed is like a gun. Treat each one as if it is loaded. A person is more apt to get hurt by some old pet cow than by a mean one, because being around some old pet, you tend to let down your guard.

That's what my daddy always told me. :D :D :D

Looks like a great idea!! I tag all calves at birth and most of my cows take it very well?! however this morning on my taggin run I found myself facin down an unhappy 2nd calver!! She put me back in the saddle and the calf is not tagged! YET!!! with your outfit I could have got him done like the rest. For her sake she better behave when I go back before dark or she won't be makin the trip to WP's place on May 1!! Long standin rule around here is if I can't tag your baby you get a free ride to the sale barn!!

kbar2 said:
Looks like a great idea!! I tag all calves at birth and most of my cows take it very well?! however this morning on my taggin run I found myself facin down an unhappy 2nd calver!! She put me back in the saddle and the calf is not tagged! YET!!! with your outfit I could have got him done like the rest. For her sake she better behave when I go back before dark or she won't be makin the trip to WP's place on May 1!! Long standin rule around here is if I can't tag your baby you get a free ride to the sale barn!!

So.... is my 613 cow still in the bunch? She would eat you just on principal.

Hi I am new to the site. Been lurking for some time now. I have one of those shark cages, same thing just a different brand. I was wondering how many times you have been able to drive up to the calf and shut the door? I almost always have to catch them and drag them inside. Really like the site, lots of useful knowledge from all.

AAF said:
Hi I am new to the site. Been lurking for some time now. I have one of those shark cages, same thing just a different brand. I was wondering how many times you have been able to drive up to the calf and shut the door? I almost always have to catch them and drag them inside. Really like the site, lots of useful knowledge from all.

My son has been doing all the taggin this season. He is always able to drive over the top of the calf, and then kick the door release. It is spring loaded, and shuts so the calf can't get out, and the cow can't get in.

My calves must be smarter than yours :D . When I get ten feet away they almost always get up and start to walk away. I always take along the calf catcher so I can snag a leg and drag them in. I will say it is nice not having those mammas breathing down your neck while you tag, weigh, and give shots.

My calves must be smarter than yours :D . When I get ten feet away they almost always get up and start to walk away. I always take along the calf catcher so I can snag a leg and drag them in. I will say it is nice not having those mammas breathing down your neck while you tag, weigh, and give shots.

I calve in a 600 acre pasture with some pretty uneven terrain. What I do is chase them down with the four wheeler, then grab their tail, hit the brakes and bail off. Keep my sorting stick handy in case momma gets boiling. Or option two if I have the feed pickup is to rope them, crawl up on the Deweze, then reel them in. You have to carry a pretty long rope to make it work, because as the little fella is screaming, momma is freaking out. I just let my rope play out 30-40ft away to give me some room. That thing would be nice but the boss wouldn't drop the cash anyhoo, plus it doesn't look cowboy-proof(if you know what I mean,LOL).

Latest posts