• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One third of Canadian Cows over 7 Years Old

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Today 8/5/2005 9:04:00 PM

Canada Cattle: Number of Cows Over 7 Years of Age

On April 1, 2005 Statistics Canada released a special inventory report to compliment their January and July regular reports. They also used this opportunity to ask some specific post-BSE questions about cattle supplies that have been unknown and simply speculated on to-date. One of the questions referred to the number of cows that producers had in their herds that were 7 years of age and older. Although industry had attempted to calculate the age of the herd based on average culling rates between dairy and beef herds, this was the first time this question had asked in a survey form. Of the 6.42 million cows in the herd on April 1 (5.34 million beef and 1.08 million dairy) it was estimated that 2 million (31%) were 7 years of age and over. Due to the size of the beef herd, 93% of the cows 7 years of age and older were beef cows (1.85 million) which accounted for 34.7% of the beef cows. Of the 1.85 million older beef cows, 85.6% were located in western Canada . Based on the size of the beef herd, Manitoba carried the highest percentage of older cows in western Canada at 37.5%. Saskatchewan followed at 34.2% of their beef cows 7 years of age and older, Alberta was 33.7% and BC 32%. In eastern Canada , 37.7% of Ontario 's beef cows were older and in Quebec it was 36.8%. In the smaller dairy herd, producers were more successful in culling their older cows plus the average age of the dairy herd ahead of May 2003 was considerably less. Of the total dairy cow number, 145,700 cows (13.5%) were considered 7 years of age and older. Contrary to the beef cow situation, most (79%) of these were located in eastern Canada .

OT,

Most guys in this area either tell stats can to take a hike when they call or they tell them a bunch of BS.

How old is the average US cow?

a third of my cows were 7 years and older pre bse..as probably most everyone else,so whats the big deal...as far as stats can... m r is right...they r usually told to take a hike.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT,

Most guys in this area either tell stats can to take a hike when they call or they tell them a bunch of BS.

I haven't the slightest idea-- I know locally some outfits- after culling for defects or problems also cull everything over 10 years old......Most cull between 10-20% each year......

The ave age of the US cow herd may be interesting. With high calf prices you breed everything that has a repro tract!!! BUT....if a cow makes a mistake you sure sold her since cow prices were very high. I would say it is old but may not be as old as one might think. The interesting data is....... how much has cow slaughter gone up the last 5 years??? or did it go down? :???:

rainmaker said:
a third of my cows were 7 years and older pre bse..as probably most everyone else,so whats the big deal...as far as stats can... m r is right...they r usually told to take a hike.

I don't know what the big deal is rainmaker-- thought it was an interesting article- except apparently the Canadian government thought it was big enough of a deal to spend your tax dollars doing it... Just think how many pencil pushers and bureaucrats you gave work to :wink: :lol:

I don't know what the big deal is rainmaker-- thought it was an interesting article- except apparently the Canadian government thought it was big enough of a deal to spend your tax dollars doing it... Just think how many pencil pushers and bureaucrats you gave work to :wink: :lol:[/quot

OT,
Any producer who applied for bse compensation was asked in the forms how many pre 97 cows they had in their herds,was probably aimed at the possiblity of culling all pre feed ban cattle in Canada.

OT,
Any producer who applied for bse compensation was asked in the forms how many pre 97 cows they had in their herds,was probably aimed at the possiblity of culling all pre feed ban cattle in Canada.

That is exactly the reason, and it was probably decided against, because the Canadian government looked at it as a subsidy not entitled to with WHO standards, unlike the compensation they doled out for set-aside, which meets all requirements.

So, OT, beat your head against a wall, the Canadians did check things out, and your little trade subsidy rants won't work here, it's all legite.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
OT,

1/2 of my cows are 7 and older up to 16 once they get over 7 thats when you find out which cows are really the GOOD ones if you canadians have old productive cows I would say their good ones..

Denny, exactly, that's when they start paying for themselves, isn't it!

If you're getting rid of 3 year olds, how have they paid for themselves. Maybe it shows how the Canadian cows are worth having, maybe that's why so many Americans want them!

Murgen said:
Denny, exactly, that's when they start paying for themselves, isn't it!

If you're getting rid of 3 year olds, how have they paid for themselves. Maybe it shows how the Canadian cows are worth having, maybe that's why so many Americans want them!

The one's I get a kick out of is the Registered breeders who sell all cows over 6 how are they doing any justice to the cow calf man.Most are chaseing fads and dont care about longivety I would rather cull cows at 16 years of age than 6.My 16 year old cow has perfect feet legs and udder and doesnt get anything special other than I a.i ed her this spring hope she settles...

a cow like that, if she has "everything", maybe should be flushed!

What would OT do? Ship all that are over 7 year old. How old does an animal have to be to pay for herself?

In dairy, it is quoted as having 2 calves, just to pay for herself, and I think they make more per lactation than beef cows!

Being a retired Sheriff must be good money, that you can finance cows that do not pay for themselves.

OT, are you in the cattle business to pay for itself or just a hobby/tax writeoff?

No bong here OT, but I'm thinking you might still have some of the good stuff that you have confiscated in your day!

Kinda funny,

Last year at the Cow Sales, we all said, "Wow, with these prices everyone's selling all the old cows, won't be none left!"

This year comes around and I fully realize how stupid that statement was.

I picked a bull from a herd once, deciding fastor was age of dam. He was 82 pound BW, in the top 5% for Gain, WW and YW and ut of a 13 year old cow.....This guy doesn't baby his cattle, heck, he raises several hundred and has NO night calving crew.

I wanted that longevity into my program,,

PPRM

That is exactly why I think if you tell the producers they are doing to have to destroy any animal older than the 1997 cut off date you are going to have a H**l of a fight. Most of these older cows have proven themselves and are a valued part of the herd, or they wouldn't still be in the herd. Paid for, still producing, no threat of spreading BSE so why kill them? If there is a problem when they are culled test them then. I see culling the older cow just because of their age in a waste of good genetics. :roll:

Tam said:
I see culling the older cow just because of their age in a waste of good genetics. :roll:

You need to start buying better bulls-every generation is supposed to be an improvement :? I'll bet Edwards Angus could set you up with some fine bulls :wink: :lol:

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
I see culling the older cow just because of their age in a waste of good genetics. :roll:

You need to start buying better bulls-every generation is supposed to be an improvement :? I'll bet Edwards Angus could set you up with some fine bulls :wink: :lol:

How could Edwards set us up? whats their program most of those high rollers sell the good cows before they prove themselves but hey lets flush some yearling heifers and breed them A.I. to an un proven yearling bull no thanks.

Just because someone has an add in the Angus Journal every month does'nt make their cattle great.....

Denny said:
Oldtimer said:
Tam said:

How could Edwards set us up? whats their program most of those high rollers sell the good cows before they prove themselves but hey lets flush some yearling heifers and breed them A.I. to an un proven yearling bull no thanks.

Just because someone has an add in the Angus Journal every month does'nt make their cattle great.....

denny- I just added the Edwards Angus to do a little sniping at Tam- stir up her blood pressure a little-- but maybe she doesn't know who Cliff Edwards is :???: Maybe I should have suggested she buy at Midland Bull Test sale :wink: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts