• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Only 8 percent of Iowa corn crop is planted

Help Support Ranchers.net:

garn

Reaction score
Thankfully it was near 80 (F) this weekend and will be pushing 90 (F) by Tuesday....just what the doctor ordered. Talked to a buddy of mine last weekend who farms in SW Iowa and he had "the hammer dropped" and would be going as long as he could handle.

More inside the link.

http://thegazette.com/2011/05/05/it%E2%80%99s-getting-late-only-8-percent-of-iowa-corn-crop-is-planted/

Corn planters rolled across the state Wednesday, making up for time lost during an unseasonably cold and wet April.

The window of corn-planting opportunity opened a crack Sunday, enabling farmers to start planting what promises to be their most lucrative crop ever.

With all hands on deck Wednesday, they likely turned in a peak performance of 1.4 million acres.

As of Monday, 8 percent of Iowa's corn acreage had been planted, which compares with 82 percent a year ago and the five-year average of 48 percent, according to the weekly crop report issued by the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Land Stewardship.

miss'n my corn fields.just wondering how much of the 8 percent that was in early will have to be re-planted due to cold and wet spring.is most of the fertilizer already on? i'm sure deadline dates are coming from the insurance companies.best of luck on the coon river bottoms.

balestabber said:
miss'n my corn fields.just wondering how much of the 8 percent that was in early will have to be re-planted due to cold and wet spring.is most of the fertilizer already on? i'm sure deadline dates are coming from the insurance companies.best of luck on the coon river bottoms.

Same thing crossed my mind as well.

Latest posts