• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Only in America

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleCo

Reaction score
Only in America
:roll:
After a sip of (Brazilian) orange juice and a nibble of bacon (from a market hog farrowed in Canada), U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns looked out the small window of the (Canadian-built) chartered jet to survey the Ohio farmland glistening in the June dawn far below.
"Where are we going today?" asked Johanns, shifting in his soft-as-butter (Italian) leather seat.
His aide, midway through a (Sri Lankan) cinnamon and (Mexican) blueberry muffin, gulped quickly to say, "Minnesota, sir."
"What's in Minnesota?" queried the secretary as he scribbled a note with a (Belgium) fountain pen on a (Swedish pulpwood) napkin.
"Well, sir," replied the aide between sips of (Columbian) coffee, "it's the (Canadian) 'mad cow' seminar you planned," his voice edging toward testiness. "You're going to prove to Japan and R-CALF that Canada's cows are really American cows."
"Right," Johanns noted before turning again to the passing Ohio scenery. The aide touched the side pocket of his (Haitian-made) suit coat for the (Argentine) cigarettes and (Costa Rican) lighter he hoped it held.
"Say," stirred the secretary noting the aide's nicotine need, "could you get me today's guest list from my (Spanish) briefcase so I can memorize the first names of who I invited?"
Before Johanns' request was complete the aide unsnapped his (made-in-India from Chinese nylon) seatbelt to scramble after the papers. Rising quickly, however, he slammed his forehead into the (Malaysian teak) headliner of the small jet. The hard jolt nearly knocked him out of his (Pakistani) socks and (English leather) shoes.
"Wow!" exclaimed the secretary, pressing a hand over his white shirt (from the Dominican Republic) and (Japanese) silk tie to grab his heart. "Stay seated; I'll get you a (German) aspirin and some (French) bottled water."
The aide did as told; his head hadn't hurt this much since he had mixed (Dutch) beer with (Australian) wine at a (Greek) fraternity party two years ago.
"Sorry," said Johanns returning, "the secretary of defense used this jet yesterday, so the aspirin are gone. Lean back and rest."
The secretary returned to his seat. A moment later he tapped the shoulder of a USDA veterinarian in front of him to ask if he knew the retail price of rib-eye steak.
The vet, an expert on African sheep diseases who was free to make the mad cow run that day, hadn't a clue. Bureaucrat that he was, though, his reply was serving and self-serving: "I'll call my wife, Mr. Secretary, for the latest price."
Two minutes later – after reaching his spouse at her job (in the Latvian embassy) on his (Norwegian-made) cell phone – he delivered the meaty intelligence: $8.15 per pound.
"Holy cow!" exclaimed the secretary; "call J.B. immediately."
Undersecretary J.B. Penn was entertaining some (global) meatpacking executives when the red phone (from Singapore) jangled. " 'Scuse me, boys, that's the boss."
Penn leaned back in his antique (Syrian) lacquered chair and hit the speaker button on the phone. "Yes, sir," he announced loudly, "whataya' can I do for you this morning?"
"J.B.," relayed the secretary, "I've darn-near got my (Japanese) wheels down at the (Canadian) mad cow meeting and I've just learned that rib-eye is $8.15 at the Safeway. We need to do something."
Penn paused to wink at his packer buddies.
"Well, Mr. Secretary," he said slowly, "we can increase cattle imports from Canada, Brazil, Argentina, Mexico and even Nigeria. In fact, Canada is sitting on about five million ripe cattle as we speak."
The line was silent. "J.B.," came back the Boss, "it all will be stamped 'USDA inspected,' right?"
"Yes, sir. It will all be American – and all cheaper American – once it lands in America," Penn said.
"So importing beef isn't a safety issue over mad cow disease; it's an economic issue over mad beef prices?" suggested the secretary.
"Yes, sir."
"So we should import beef to save the American beef consumer," Johanns said thinking out loud.
"That'll work," replied Penn.
Johanns returned to the view in his window. "What a great country," he said as he adjusted the (Chinese-made) American flag pin on his suit jacket's lapel.

Alan Guebert's Farm and Food File is published weekly in more than 75 newspapers in North America. Guebert can be contacted at [email protected]. © 2005 Ag Comm.

adventureman said:
Welcome to the 21st century and the global economy.

And also to one of Gueberts frequent trips to la-la land. How he loves to share his fantasies with the world!

MRJ

A Canadian perspective

6:00 am - get out of bed to the sound of my GE alarm clock (made in the US)
6:15 am -pour myself a cup of starbucks (US retailer) coffee made with my GE coffee maker
6:30 am - eat a bowl of Kellogs corn flakes (made in the US)
7:00 am - go feed my cows (purchased from sunburst Montana) bred to a bull (purchased from Lewistown Montana) their ration of corn (imported from Nebraska)
8:00 am jump in my chrysler (US) built pick up and drive to town.
9:00 am stop at Wallmart (US chain retailer) to purchase hardware.
10:00 am stop at Mcdonalds (US chain restaurant) for a coffee
10:30 am stop at ESSO (US petroleum company ) for fuel on the way home .
12:00 eat lunch
1:00 pm get in my John Deere tractor (made in the US) to work for the afternoon
5:00 pm go for supper and watch CNN (US media giant)
[/b]

MRJ said:
And also to one of Gueberts frequent trips to la-la land. How he loves to share his fantasies with the world! MRJ[/quote said:
Guebert is one of the most thought PROVOKING journalists out there. Just because he doesn't cater to NCBA, NPPC, ASA, NCGA and AFBF special interests doesn't mean he isn't thinking clearly.

His "fantasy" as you call it, is closer to what is happening in agriculture than you believe. Of course, when you are so far up a groups rectum, it's hard to see the light. :wink:

Chief: "Guebert is one of the most thought PROVOKING journalists out there."

For those who need someone or something to blame.

If I want thought provoking, I'll read George Will.

~SH~

Latest posts