• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Open Fields Panel discussion at Stockgrowers meeting

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Border rancher wrote: I could never figure out why, when a cattle producer pays a substantial amount to "rent" public land, that the public should be able to run "roughshod" all over that land. If one of those "public" rented a house in town and the landlord went in and destroyed any part of it, the landlord would be in court. Why is this different?

I like your word substantial amount, problem is they don't pay that!!! The forest service ground is rented at a very good price!! So are most public lands in the US, if it wouldn't be of benefit then they wouldn't be standing in line to rent it !!!!

Next is the fact it is tax payer dollars that pay and support these grounds much more than the leased price from ranchers, WE all own public ground our taxes make it possible, with out those tax dollars, these areas wouldn't be what they are. The money comes back many fold as you have sportsman paying for license, motels, food/drinks, ammo, gas, etc, on top of there tax dollars as well, so consider it a wash on both sides.

These areas are deemed multi use areas, and are managed for such, problem being more hunters get closed out of some of these areas, so cattle can be kept in there longer!!! The sporsman does us all a favor by harvesting the excess and keeps a balance in nature, to many people don't relize without trappers or hunters the cost it would be to EVERY taxpayer!!!! Trappers and hunters pay in manys ways to enjoy these outdoor pursuits and do at a cost of zero to the taxpayer!!!!

There are 2 sides to every story. This was proven to our family very clearly a number of years ago when our daughter was in 4-H public speaking.

She had written an excellent speech against hunting as she saw it. You know, the grass driven off, the garbage at every gate where the hunters had cleaned out their vehicles, even some cut fences etc. She also told her side of "after hunting season" when we spend a couple months dealing with the animals that are shot but not killed. They die long terrible deaths, some with arrows or bullets in their guts etc. The saddest one I remember was a doe deer that had her bottom jaw shot off. She would stand and eat and eat and eat but finally starved. I bet she couldn't figure out why she didn't get any grass in her mouth and stomach.

But back to the public speaking. My daughter won every local competition held in the rural area around, because those judges understood what she was saying from their point of view. Then, on to the city for the finals.
As soon as she got into the body of her speech, I could tell by the demeanor of a couple of the judges that my daughters winning streak was ending. I don't know if those 2 judges (from a panel of 3) were hunters or just hunter lovers, but she did not even place in the top 3 after winning first every time out in the country! Obviously their point of view was different and they did not agree with our daughter!

I agree with the part about hunting being a necessary evil even for us. We already contribute too much in the way of feed to wildlife, and hunting does help harvest some of them.

Here in Alberta, hunter numbers are dwindling. The rising cost of vehicles, the already very high cost of fuel, the escalating cost of a hunting licence, the lessening of lands where hunters are permitted and other costs I probably don't even know about could be reasons for this. Also, like rodeo right now, hunting is not the "in" thing to do for young people. So we will have more animals in our hay and we will complain about that instead of the hunters!

Itrap4u--These areas are deemed multi use areas, and are managed for such, problem being more hunters get closed out of some of these areas, so cattle can be kept in there longer!!!

Tell me where this has happened?

Our numbers have been cut.

In the Black Hills there is supposedly 8000 (GF&P claims) head of Elk on the public ground and private land 365 days a year. There is supposedly 12000 units for domestic livestock for 120 days per year on public ground. The 8000 head of elk are not fenced out of the private land EVER but the domestic livestock is fenced out of the public land for 245 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yet overgrazing is always blamed on the livestock owner. The landowner is alos responsible for the fencing of his livestock on these leases and part of any water development.

I see you fly over today SH. I couldn't tell if you were counting antelope or looking for me. LOL

How many did you count.

LB: "I have friends who work for GF&P that are embarrassed by Cooper's prevarications and are upset with the way that he and Eric Washburn got off Scott-free when they conspired together to break South Dakota game laws."

The only conspiracy is the one in your mind.

Janklow issued the proclamation to Eric Washburn as a political favor. If you want to blame someone for overstepping their legal authority, blame Janklow. You seem to forget that Cooper's boss was Bill Janklow. Cooper had no choice but to support Janklow's decision.

My own personal opinion is that Bill Janklow overstepped his bounds but John Cooper did nothing wrong in this situation other than not informing his fellow department employees to the situation. Eric Washburn certainly didn't do anything wrong by accepting Janklow's gift.

SJ: "Why did he have to inform the department personnel?"

Informing Dept. personell of Janklow's proclomation to Eric Washburn would have avoided the suspicion of wrongdoing. Nobody within GF&P wildlife law enforcement knew anything about Janklow issuing the residency proclamation to Eric Washburn.

This was not the first proclomation Janklow has issued either.

LB: "Cooper knew exactly what the law said and that's why he had Washburn's license sent to Cooper's home address."

Of course Cooper knew what the law said. That is precisely why he questioned Bill Janklow's authority to make this decision and was given the "BY GOD BY THE POWERS VESTED IN ME" speach from Bill Janklow. At that point Cooper had no choice but to honor the governor's decision.

You are so desperate to peg something on Cooper that you blame Janklow's decision on John Cooper. That dog won't hunt! One man and one man only made this decision and that was Bill Janklow.

Janklow's arrogance is no mystery and it finally caught up with him didn't it? I used to be an ardent Janklow supporter but no more. If I had to chose between Janklow and Herseth today, I would vote for Herseth and I am a die hard conservative.

John Cooper asked Janklow how to handle the license situation and he was told by Janklow to include Washburn's license with Cooper's license and send both to Cooper's address.

LB: "It certainly wouldn't do to have your friend's "resident" license sent to his Washington, DC address, would it? Especially when, as the head of a law enforcement agency like GF&P, Cooper knew better than anyone in the state what the law was."

Exactly!

That's precisely why Cooper asked Janklow how to handle the license situation and was told to include it with his own license and address.

There was nothing covert about it with the exception of the failure to notify law enforcement within the Department.

LB: "Did that make Janklow innocent? Oh, no! John Cooper, Bill Janklow and Senator Daschle's right hand man, Eric Washburn, all knew what they were doing was not only wrong, but also illegal. Did that stop them? Obviously not."

One man made this decision and that was former governor Bill Janklow. As I said before, I thought Janklow's decision stunk due to the consequences that anyone could have predicted. Typical of Janklow's arrogance.

LB: "Facts are facts. Truth is truth and the law is the law. Breaking it will get you arrested, unless you happen to be among those "special" folks who evidently can ignore the law with impunity."

Facts are facts and I have just presented them. The governor is apparently above the law when it comes to granting special favors to certain people. Much like a president pardoning certain prisoners.

SJ: "I see you fly over today SH. I couldn't tell if you were counting antelope or looking for me."

Just counting antelope. I have no idea where anyone lives in Harding Co. except the Vroman's.

The green color has finally been added to your paradise and the water to your dams. Thank God for that! You live in the most beautiful place in the state and that includes the Badlands and the Black Hills but you already knew that. LOL!

I told some R-CALFer once that we were flying reconaissance missions for the large packers counting cattle and he actually believed me. LOL!

I don't take any of these debates personally. I am sure we could find far more things that we agree on especially when it comes to the topic of cost effective and efficient predator control.

You may want to pass this information on to JJ. We saw an adult coyote 1 mile S. of Ladner near a freshly cleaned out hole. Wasn't sure if it was a den at 100 mph but it looked to be. You can see the hole from the section line. It's close to a large stock dam.

We also saw an adult coyote 1 mile. N. of the Grand River, 1/2 mile W. of the Perkins. Co. line. Too bad I couldn't carry the Benelli in that 172 Cessna.

We took some great aerial photos as we were passing over the Slim Buttes, Cave Hills, and East Short Pines. I see they are clearing out some timber in the West short pines. That timber always looks a lot nicer when it's correctly logged (not clear cut) to me.

Haven't tallied the antelope count yet. 9.7 hours in a plane is too much. I need to go shoot a yipper and clear my head.

~SH~

Itrap4u--These areas are deemed multi use areas, and are managed for such, problem being more hunters get closed out of some of these areas, so cattle can be kept in there longer!!!

Still waiting for an answer, when and where has this happened?

I don't take this debate personal either and I am sure we have a lot more things we can agree on. This is just one I don't think we will ever agree on but it is not a conspiracy it is just a difference of opinion. There has been a lot of trust lost and it is going to take a long time to regain. One thing John Cooper could have done at Belle is at least acknowledge the landowners part.

Thanks for letting me know about the coyote, I did pass the message on and it was greatly appreciated. When you flew over we were looking at a deer that had been attack by a mountain lion right close to the place. We called the CO BM and he came out and confirmed that it was a lion that had attack it. Well so much for that back to the debate. If I missed anything feel free to bring it to my attention. Play nice.

SH--As expected!

You said John Cooper lied about paraplanes now back your allegation for once by presenting the actual quote and quit diverting. I'm sick of you two dropping these chickensh*t allegations without having the courage to back them up.

NAME THE LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIVE ME THE EXACT QUOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Observe as SJ continues to two-step around the question

I hate having to explain this over and over but I will try it one more time.
John stated that GF&P had nothing to do with the downing of the para planes and insinuated that there had been complaints to the FAA and that FAA had come to GF&P with the problem. NOT TRUE. GF&P went to FAA. FAA told us that they would not have done anything if some one hadn't brought it to their attention or had problems with it. Maybe it need to be done I won't argue that but why lie. I haven't done the two-step for years but if I ever want to try it again I will look up the pro.

Do you like this quote?
"I have always respected the private property rights of landowners and will continue to do so. It is also the policy of Game, Fish and Parks conservation officers to respect private property. I assure you conservation officers will continue to work diligently to communicate with landowners and to obtain permission before they enter private property for any reason. I hope you agree that compliance checks are important and that sometimes exigent circumstances do not enable officers to obtain permission before conducting a compliance check."

Another quote; "Cases in which law enforcement enter onto private property to conduct a compliance check are rare, and officers do their best to obtain permission every time they enter onto private property." Do you believe this quote to be true? If it is true, asking permission shouldn't be too much of a burden as compliance checks are rare on private property. Evidently this person believes that is the way it is done and should be done unless exigent (urgent, pressing which probably give probable cause) circumstances. Is this true or is this person just giving lip service?

Another quote;" Wildlife laws apply equally on public and private lands. The principle of fairness in the application of these laws would dictate they be enforced equally, no matter where the hunter might be found." If this statement is true and equality and fairness is the issue should the public be liable for all liability issues concerning hunting.

SH-If you cared about truth and facts, you would know the truth about Janklow issuing the proclamation. Truth and facts mean nothing to you. What matters to you is to peg something on John Cooper even if you have to make up crap to accomplish it.
I do care about the truth and facts; I would like to know when that proclamation was made. When John didn't let personnel know that to raises suspicion. Having it sent to his own home with his license also raises suspicion. It would make you think that Cooper wasn't all that high on the idea and there was no proclamation in place. I would hope that I wouldn't jeopardize my credibility for someone, Governor or not to keep a job. There are to many other jobs in this world to let one own you. John Cooper had choices, no one but John Cooper made them.

SH-2. It is hunting season and a person is spotted walking along a brushy draw with a gun in his hand wearing a blaze orange vest following the sound of gun shots. A shiny new Suburban is spotted on top of the hill above him.
I assume this was what SH thought was the correct answer to his jeopardy question for actively hunting and I find it quite interesting. Fact is it isn't against the law to wear orange during hunting season if you are not hunting. Fact we have the right to bear arms. Fact it isn't against the law to drive a shiny new Suburban and have it parked on the top of a hill. Fact it isn't against the law to walk a brushy trail. Fact it isn't against the law to fire a gun during hunting season. What do you think would have happened to this landowner if he were confronted by a CO and he said he wasn't hunting and he didn't have a license but was taking pictures and had the gun along for his own personal safety, with the mountain lion sightings and had set up a pop can to shoot at.

Another quote; " Compliance checks are necessary to protect our valuable wildlife resources and are supported by many property owners. These checks provide a degree of assurance to the public that those who hunt do so in compliance with the rules and laws designed to sustain our wildlife, allow a fair and equitable distribution of a public resource and provide the funding required for wildlife management responsibilities. These checks also play an important role in deterring trespass onto private lands by those who have not secured permission from private landowners."

You talk about actively hunting; I was wondering if your analogy of actively hunting would carry over to actively driving.
Its early in the morning, the shades are open. The patrolman drives by and sees a man or woman with a hat and coat on, the keys in one hand heading for the door, with the garage door open and the car running (he has a remote to start his car) would that be enough for that patrolman to stop and check and see if he is driving with a valid license and insurance, (Compliance check).

Little different spin on that quote-- with a different valuable resource;" Compliance checks are necessary to protect our valuable human resources, life and livelihood. These checks provide a degree of assurance to the public that those who drive do so in compliance with the rules and laws designed to protect human life, and livelihood, allow a fair and equitable distribution of insurance liabilities. These checks also play an important role in deterring, driving without a license and those who have not secured insurance."

The legality of paraplanes was questioned by a number of parties due to the inconsistancy from one state to the next on their legality. GF&P asked the FAA for a ruling on the legality of paraplanes. FAA made the decision they were not legal.

How does GF&P carry the burden of downing paraplanes when FAA made the decision they were not legal? BY ASKING FOR AN OFFICIAL RULING????

Who made the decision to down paraplanes SJ?

Was it GF&P or FAA??

It was the FAA!

See how you like to spin things?

In your haste to pin something on GF&P, you blame them for downing paraplanes because they asked for an official position from FAA.

Where GF&P made their mistake is in assuming they were legal to begin with.

Once again, the lie is that GF&P did everything they could to down paraplanes. As always, that lie came from your camp, not ours.

Do you like this quote?
"I have always respected the private property rights of landowners and will continue to do so. It is also the policy of Game, Fish and Parks conservation officers to respect private property. I assure you conservation officers will continue to work diligently to communicate with landowners and to obtain permission before they enter private property for any reason. I hope you agree that compliance checks are important and that sometimes exigent circumstances do not enable officers to obtain permission before conducting a compliance check."

No, because that quote contradicts itself. CO's should not have to obtain permission to conduct compliance checks but should be required to obtain permission for any other reason.

Asking permission to conduct a compliance check is the dumbest thing I have ever heard because nobody is going to grant permission if they are suspected of a violation.

Why won't you present the source of that quote?

Another quote; "Cases in which law enforcement enter onto private property to conduct a compliance check are rare, and officers do their best to obtain permission every time they enter onto private property." Do you believe this quote to be true? If it is true, asking permission shouldn't be too much of a burden as compliance checks are rare on private property. Evidently this person believes that is the way it is done and should be done unless exigent (urgent, pressing which probably give probable cause) circumstances. Is this true or is this person just giving lip service?

I would say in MOST CASES that is true but where compliance checks are conducted will vary from one CO district to the other depending on the land base:

1. Most compliance checks W. of the river are conducted on public land or Walk-In hunting areas. Neither precludes the fact that compliance checks will occur on private land without obtaining permission first.

2. Many, if not most, compliance checks E. of the river are conducted on the roads due to the greater number of sections surrounded by roads. That is a totally different situation than the much larger tracts of land more common to western SD.

The concept of obtaining permission to conduct compliance checks on hunters is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard from the standpoint that anyone who is suspected of a hunting or fishing violation on private land is not going to grant permission for their arrest. Granting permission to be arrested borders on insanity.

Another quote;" Wildlife laws apply equally on public and private lands. The principle of fairness in the application of these laws would dictate they be enforced equally, no matter where the hunter might be found." If this statement is true and equality and fairness is the issue should the public be liable for all liability issues concerning hunting.

I cannot comment on that because I am not versed on the laws pertaining to private lawsuits against the public. Proving negligence would have to be an issue in either situation.

SJ: "I do care about the truth and facts; I would like to know when that proclamation was made. When John didn't let personnel know that to raises suspicion. Having it sent to his own home with his license also raises suspicion. It would make you think that Cooper wasn't all that high on the idea and there was no proclamation in place. I would hope that I wouldn't jeopardize my credibility for someone, Governor or not to keep a job. There are to many other jobs in this world to let one own you. John Cooper had choices, no one but John Cooper made them."

You only care about facts and truth when it happens to support your bias. As this statement clearly shows, you are relentless in your pursuit of the chink in the armour of facts or your own interpretation of the facts, not the facts themselves.

I saw a copy of the proclomation. To question it's existance shows your level of suspicion and desperation for anything you can sink your teeth into.

Yes, I believe John should have let the department know about the proclomation immediately. That's my own personal opinion. It would have prevented the confusion later. With the thousands of issues John has to deal with, I'm not surprised it was overlooked. Live and learn.

As far as where the license was sent, hunters send hunting license applications in the same envelope all the time. Janklow told Cooper to have it sent to Cooper's address. There is no suspicion from that standpoint.

I would hope that I wouldn't jeopardize my credibility for someone, Governor or not to keep a job. There are to many other jobs in this world to let one own you. John Cooper had choices, no one but John Cooper made them.

Janklow issued the proclomation and I saw the proclomation as did all of the Reg. 1 GF&P staff. That is one fact you will not get around not matter how you try to spin this.

If you want to question the governor's legal right to issue proclomations as political favors, be my guest. You won't catch any flack from me.

When a Governor claims to have the authority to issue proclomations as political favors, who is left to question the legality? What position is in higher authority?

Cooper would never have supported this action if it was not legal and he never stated anything on this issue that was not true so his credibility does not become an issue with the exception of failing to notify the department that the proclomation of residency had been issued.

Ask yourself this SJ, if Janklow is arrogant enough not to come clean on taking someone's life due to his poor driving habits, why is it so difficult to believe he would not issue a proclomation of residency as a political favor?

This is the same man that showed his arrogance by stopping Canadian trucks from coming through SD which was more political bullcrap as far as I am concerned. You don't sign a trade agreement with a country then prevent them from trading.

I have lost all respect for that man and you wouldn't have found a more ardent supporter a few years ago.

My respect for Janklow peaked when he told the corporate blamers in this state that he would sign Amendment E knowing it was the wrong thing to do. Janklow was right and like they usually are, the corporate blamers were wrong. Janklow gave these corporate blamers what they wanted but he told them they were wrong. Amendment E was later overturned proving Janklow right.

I assume this was what SH thought was the correct answer to his jeopardy question for actively hunting and I find it quite interesting. Fact is it isn't against the law to wear orange during hunting season if you are not hunting. Fact we have the right to bear arms. Fact it isn't against the law to drive a shiny new Suburban and have it parked on the top of a hill. Fact it isn't against the law to walk a brushy trail. Fact it isn't against the law to fire a gun during hunting season.

Of course, silly me, it's a common occurance to see non hunters walking brushy draws during the hunting season with blaze orange attire, carrying a gun, shooting at pop cans among the fleeing deer with his/her mountain lion self defense weapon, and driving a suburban with 02 or 01 plates on it on the opening day of West River deer hunting season......

Silly me, what was I thinking?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!

Spare me the insult to my intelligence!

Fact it isn't against the law to check this hunter for his/her license on private land without obtaining permission first.

Its early in the morning, the shades are open. The patrolman drives by and sees a man or woman with a hat and coat on, the keys in one hand heading for the door, with the garage door open and the car running (he has a remote to start his car) would that be enough for that patrolman to stop and check and see if he is driving with a valid license and insurance, (Compliance check).

Apples and oranges!

Any officer can see the visible plates on any vehicle to determine ownership and there is more than enough opportunities to check drivers on the highways due to speeding, stop sign violations, unsafe driving, etc, etc.

The driving violations on public highways are a lot more accessible than hunting violations in the middle of a pasture.

Try again!

~SH~

Sh-GF&P asked the FAA for a ruling on the legality of paraplanes.

John Cooper said they never went to FAA.

If it were not for the actions of GF&P the para planes would still be in the air. John Cooper never thought we would take the time to get the documentation from FAA and the emails back and forth and catch him in a lie.

Again John Cooper said GF&P never went to FAA concerning the para planes. That was a lie.

SH-As far as where the license was sent, hunters send hunting license applications in the same envelope all the time. Janklow told Cooper to have it sent to Cooper's address. There is no suspicion from that standpoint.

Ya I remember when Mert applied for an elk license with a friend and when they were denied they both recieved a letter and when they were accepted they both recieved there license. If Janklow had made a proclamation, why didn't Washburn put his own address, his drivers license and his motor vehicle registration on the application.

SH-Fact it isn't against the law to check this hunter for his/her license on private land without obtaining permission first.

Fact is that there is no case law specifially speaking to compliance checks. It is only yours, Cooper's, and the AG opinion that it isn't againt the law.

SH-The driving violations on public highways are a lot more accessible than hunting violations in the middle of a pasture

Most hunters use the public roads to come and go from hunting.

SH-The concept of obtaining permission to conduct compliance checks on hunters is truly one of the dumbest things I have ever heard from the standpoint that anyone who is suspected of a hunting or fishing violation on private land is not going to grant permission for their arrest. Granting permission to be arrested borders on insanity.

SH-Asking permission to conduct a compliance check is the dumbest thing I have ever heard because nobody is going to grant permission if they are suspected of a violation.
I guess you will have to explain these two statements. Who is they in the second statement. If they are suspected of wrong doing why wouldn't they get a warrant like the rest of law enforcement. CO's are only given permission to enter private land to do a compliance check on the hunter, right.

Sorry SH but I just don't believe the majority of landowners are high risk criminals.

Your take on those quotes were greatly appreciated thanks again.

SJ: "John Cooper said they never went to FAA."

I don't believe you that John Cooper said that but I'm going to find out.

SJ: "If Janklow had made a proclamation, why didn't Washburn put his own address, his drivers license and his motor vehicle registration on the application."

There is no "IF" to it. Everyone in Region 1 saw a copy of the proclamation. Think about it, wouldn't it be rather stupid of me to lie about that when it could be so easily proven if I was making it up?

Again, Cooper asked Janklow how to handle the license situation and was told by Janklow to use his own (Cooper's) address.

You just can spin it to suit you can you?

SJ: "Fact is that there is no case law specifially speaking to compliance checks. It is only yours, Cooper's, and the AG opinion that it isn't againt the law."

If there is no law that allows compliance checks in open fields why were you folks involved in introducing a law regarding the Open Fields Doctrine???

Seems rather foolish to introduce a law to void a law that doesn't exist. LOL!

SJ: "Most hunters use the public roads to come and go from hunting."

Which tells law enforcement nothing regarding whether or not they were hunting in the correct unit or who may have been fishing without a license.

I wished the Conservation Officer in Denver Colorado that arrested me for fishing without a license would have asked me permission to observe me fishing without a license before she wrote me a ticket. See, these laws are in place to keep guys like me honest. Now I am honest. Who knows what illegal activity I might have participated in if I hadn't been pinched for fishing without a license. LOL! I've been seeking counseling ever since. "SORRY, I JUST COULDN'T HELP MYSELF. THERE WAS JUST TOO MANY FISH TO NOT PARTICIPATE". LOL!

I remember the judge didn't have much time for my flimsy excuses either. Almost got community service until I shut my mouth. Can't you just picture me scraping gum off the seats at Bronco stadium? Who'd have guessed I would have graduated from that to arguing with you about compliance checks?

SJ: "I guess you will have to explain these two statements. Who is they in the second statement."

Allow me to rewrite my second statement to better explain it before it is "widely circulated" rather than risk misinterpretation by you again.

For a CO to obtain permission from a landowner prior to conducting a game law compliance check on that landowner or his hunters is the dumbest thing I have ever heard BECAUSE nobody who intends to break the game laws will grant permission for a compliance check.

"YES OFFICER, OF COURSE YOU CAN CHECK TO SEE THAT I SHOT A BUCK WITH MY DOE TAG AND WASN'T HUNTING IN THE CORRECT UNIT"

There, you can circulate that amongst your lockout buddies rather than taking my original statement out of context as you folks are known for doing.

SJ: "CO's are only given permission to enter private land to do a compliance check on the hunter, right."

No, they also conduct compliance checks on fisherman too. Pretty hard to tell who was fishing without a license when the fishermen/women are heading home.

SJ: "Sorry SH but I just don't believe the majority of landowners are high risk criminals."

Who said they were?

More spin from you!

The majority of landowners are not even low risk criminals. The good behavior of most landowners is due to the potential risk of being checked by a CO while in the act of hunting. Compliance checks keep the honest man honest much like a highway patrol parked along the Interstate.

Even Larry and Larry admitted that game violations would increase as a result of COs having to obtain permission before conducting compliance checks.

SJ: "Your take on those quotes were greatly appreciated thanks again."
You bet, anytime!

Can I expect an interview with the National Enquirer after they've reviewed my "widely circulated" quotes?

Can't wait to see how I have been misinterpreted.

~SH~

I don't have to circulate them you do a pretty good job yourself.

I do hope you ask John it was said at the working group meeting in Buffalo. I think the guy who asked the question wouldn't mind being there when you ask him.

I am sure there is a proclamation just when was it made.

SH-If there is no law that allows compliance checks in open fields why were you folks involved in introducing a law regarding the Open Fields Doctrine???

Why don't you ask someone you would believe this question. A court case is quite expensive for some who have to spend there own money. Why don't you read the case law or just call up you freindly AG. The open Fields doctrine is based on case law. You do the research.

They got the coyote south of ladner thanks letting us know. That is my Nephews land. The day you flew over we had a moutain lion attack a small buck right at the place. I hope that it was one passing thru.

It's been good SH have a good one.

Quote:
SJ: "Fact is that there is no case law specifially speaking to compliance checks. It is only yours, Cooper's, and the AG opinion that it isn't againt the law."

If there is no law that allows compliance checks in open fields why were you folks involved in introducing a law regarding the Open Fields Doctrine???

AGAIN, FOR THE SHORT BUS PASENGERS: The proposed law re OFD is to serve to restrict the state that is abusing private property rights because OFD establishes no penalties for trespass.

Open Fields Doctrine establishes that evidence, gathered in an illegal search via trespass of open fields, is admissable in court and is not to be supressed. Just as some disgraceful hunters may disreguard the law due to nonenforcement, the state has taken to routinely vio;ating the LAW because there is inadequate pelalties for the state's trespass.

No Open Fields Doctrine case has held the state can legally trespass - only that when the state does break the law violating open fields, the evidence gathered is admissable.

SJ: Fact is that there is no case law specifically speaking to compliance checks. It is only yours, Cooper's, and the AG opinion that it isn't against the law.

Brad S: The proposed law re OFD is to serve to restrict the state that is abusing private property rights because OFD establishes no penalties for trespass.

Open Fields Doctrine establishes that evidence, gathered in an illegal search via trespass of open fields, is admissible in court and is not to be suppressed. Just as some disgraceful hunters may disregard the law due to nonenforcement, the state has taken to routinely violating the LAW because there are inadequate penalties for the state's trespass.

No Open Fields Doctrine case has held the state can legally trespass - only that when the state does break the law violating open fields, the evidence gathered is admissible.

Thanks for making some very good points here Brad and SJ. There is NO LAW on South Dakota's books to stop GF&P from trespassing at will to do anything they want on private land at any time of the year, without the landowner's knowledge or consent. No matter how much John Cooper and SH protest that Conservation Officers are not allowed on private land for anything but compliance checks during hunting season, there is nothing to stop them from trampling all over both our pastures and our property rights ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, TO DO ANYTHING THEY WANT TO DO THAT IS NOT OTHERWISE DECLARED ILLEGAL BY STATE LAW!!!

If anyone can quote me any LAW that bars GF&P from trespass, I will gladly eat crow, and goodness knows, I much prefer beef!

Liberty Belle: Yesterday I asked a lawyer friend of mine about Cooper's statement during the Stockgrowers panel discussion when he said that none of the five states that have done away with the Open Fields Doctrine did it with laws, it was just policy. The attorney said that in Montana it is indeed law and Mr. Cooper was dead wrong!!!

As soon as Cooper gave that asinine statement, Larry Nelson read to us from the Texas state law that also does away with the Open Fields Doctrine. Now, tell me something – why would Cooper offer up such a bald-faced lie to us? Perhaps he thinks ranchers aren't smart enough to find out the facts for ourselves?

He also lied when he said that the problems that landowners have had with certain GF&P personnel had been taken care of. I about fell off my chair laughing! He sure has taken care of the complaints in Harding County, hasn't he?

Offering proof of Cooper's lies seems to have shut SH up, or is he still counting antelope?

That compliance check itself gives GF&P the right to come on your land anytime they want to do what they want. They just have to see a person on your land or say they seen a person on your land and they could assume you were hunting whether it is hunting season or not and see if you are in compliance with the general hunting license or fur bearers license or what ever other license you need. Besides that when isn't there a hunting season and when don't you need a license.

SJ,
Did you see the letter to the Rapid City Journal from former mayor Jerry Munson that I posted here? He has GF&P pegged.

You must have given SH more facts than he can handle. Or was that him flying over again today?

I did see the letter in the Journal and had wished he could have gotten the rest of his letter in. He read it to us at Belle, I thought it was really good.

I don't know if they were counting today or not. Nothing on the net that indicated that they were. I thought they said they were about done.

LB: "No matter how much John Cooper and SH protest that Conservation Officers are not allowed on private land for anything but compliance checks during hunting season, there is nothing to stop them from trampling all over both our pastures and our property rights ANY TIME, ANY WHERE, TO DO ANYTHING THEY WANT TO DO THAT IS NOT OTHERWISE DECLARED ILLEGAL BY STATE LAW!!!"

SJ: "That compliance check itself gives GF&P the right to come on your land anytime they want to do what they want. They just have to see a person on your land or say they seen a person on your land and they could assume you were hunting whether it is hunting season or not and see if you are in compliance with the general hunting license or fur bearers license or what ever other license you need. Besides that when isn't there a hunting season and when don't you need a license."

How ironic coming from the two who have never seen a Conservation Officer on their land.

BUT, BUT, BUT THE SKY MAY FALL SOMEDAY!

LB: "You must have given SH more facts than he can handle."

Yeh, yeh, yeh!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz!

Like the facts about RY refusing to work with another pilot other than LB?

Like the facts about GF&P doing everything in their power to ground para planes?

Like the facts about GF&P being able to come on to private land and do ANYTHING THEY WANT?

Before you can talk about "facts" you should at least understand the definition of the word. "Heresay" that supports your GF&P hatred is hardly "facts".

LB: "Offering proof of Cooper's lies seems to have shut SH up, or is he still counting antelope?"

You didn't offer proof of anything. You offered "HEARSAY" as you usually do.

Give me Coopers exact statement WITHIN CONTEXT then cite the case law in those particular states that contradict it.

Until you do, you got nothing!

I'm not about to believe either of you two tell me what YOU WISH COOPER HAD SAID as opposed to what he really said WITHIN CONTEXT.

You've proven your ability to misquote with your "90% of landowners are guilty of game violations" Bullcrap. That was a perfect example of your spin jobs.

~SH~

SH, "How ironic coming from the two who have never seen a Conservation Officer on their land.

BUT, BUT, BUT THE SKY MAY FALL SOMEDAY!"

This is yet another IRRELEVANT point by the logic assailant. Here's what we call a little analogy to test the implied suggestion that one can't raise objection without personally being wronged by a policy. Do we all agree that the Tuskeege experiments were outrageous and must be condemned by all decent people, not merely the subjects? This dismisses the point as irrelevant.

SJ showed effort transcribing Cooper's "legal scholarship," but the truth about the purpose of open fields doctrine haunts his legal hacksmanship. We're especially entertained by any suggestion that Cooper and his ilk are the "real supporters of lawful activity" Don't be misled to ponder the meaning of life or whatever distraction that the dishonorable would pose; this is the issue about open fields doctrine that must be addressed:

Open Fields Doctrine establishes that the ILLEGALLY obtained evidence via trespass on open fields is admissable in court. The remedy to the ILLEGAL activity is not supression of the illegally gathered evidence on evidence gathered on open fields like it is when evidence is illegally gathered in a residence. We do know, by definition, that 100% of the time open fields doctrine is used, the law was broken to gather evidence (or open fields doctrine doesn't apply). That's not piety on the side of "law enforcement" that's hypocricy. Break the law to enforce the law, indeed!

So Brad, if Conservation Officers conducting compliance checks on private property constitutes trespass, why has that not been upheld in court???

Hmmmm????

We have all heard of cases where evidence has been supressed due to illegal searches, well, if compliance checks on private lands constitutes an illegal search (trespass), as you imply, where is the case law to document this?

Should be a simple matter of citing case law that interprets compliance checks as illegal search and seizure.

Bring the case law to support that position Brad!

As I said, there is no need to introduce legislation to change the Open Fields Doctrine if compliance checks constitute illegal trespass.

Bring the case law that proves that compliance checks on private land constitutes trespass.

Observe the Kansas two step ...............

~SH~

Latest posts