• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

optimism for 2016

Help Support Ranchers.net:

scout

Reaction score
Just a little story here been kind of stressed with the weather and markets no different than anyone else when on news year day went to chore and was feeding some fall calving cull cows I've been meaning to sell and there was a new calf standing to nurse don't know why or how it happened but for some reason just turned my attitude around must be starting over for the year just wanted to share it don't know why

Every minute is good Scout. Some are just better than others. Fretting about things we can't change just takes away today's happiness.

Soapweed said:
A new live calf or a nice rain is mighty welcome any time of the year.

Your comment is sure accurate for you or me, Soapweed, but I suspect Scout is in an area of IA which has been 'overly blessed' with rain lately, judging by where a brother of mine lives in north central IA, and knowing that rivers sort of flow to the south or south east.

And, we were blessed with our first calf for the year, just before dark, found while caking heifers today. None expected for two months, so don't know where that one came from!!!! A grandson went out with his pickup and hauled it in and it has been fed with colostrix and bedded down with a heat lamp for the night. We are grateful it was lively. Will ride out early tomorrow to bring the heifer in and hope they will mother up easily.

Hope all have a great New Year and calving season!

mrj

scout said:
Just a little story here been kind of stressed with the weather and markets no different than anyone else when on news year day went to chore and was feeding some fall calving cull cows I've been meaning to sell and there was a new calf standing to nurse don't know why or how it happened but for some reason just turned my attitude around must be starting over for the year just wanted to share it don't know why

Can't control the weather and there is only so much we can do about the markets. But, this is stuff that is in our wheelhouse... And, this calf should still be a nice $800-1000 coupon at some point.

Latest posts