• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OT, let's try this. No trade with Canada...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Border rancher

Reaction score
Maybe each of our countries should stop ALL trade in all commodities.

Maybe Canada should keep all our oil and natural gas in Canada. That would hurt exporters here, but they would survive just like we have with the closed border to our live cattle, compliments of R Calf and people who think like they do.

I don't have time to research all trade issues between our two close neighbouring countries, but I'm sure people in California at least would miss our gas to run their air conditioning.

Maybe cattle trucks would charge a lot more to haul your cattle if your whole supply of fuel had to come from middle east countries. I don't know that for sure, so maybe we should try it and see.

I guess no trade would not make much difference to our softwood lumber producers here, because of the high tariff battle raging over that issue, so you could just pay the price for your own lumber with no imports at all.

We would miss the produce trucks from the warmer southern states, that bring nearly all our fruits and vegetables in the winter, but our first settlers lived quite well without them.

If we did all this and stopped all other import/export as well, I think the USA might miss Canadian imports just as much (or more) than we would miss our imports from the USA.

OT I am still so glad I didn't have to know you back in your school days, I'm still sure you were the biggest bully on the schoolyard!

Border rancher- Won't happen, but may not have that great an impact either....Experts agree that there is no lack of supply in oil- just a demand that allows an ever shrinking amount of multinational Big Oil Companies to raise prices and make larger profits....

The claim out there now is that this is also a 20 year commodity shift in prices- just as Agman says is taking place in the cattle industry-- and that these oil prices will fluctuate but never go down by much- unless demand drops greatly, which is unlikely......

This is not like the 70's when the oil wasn't available and gas stations rationed and closed down-- the oil is there and the demand is there and Big Business is making a fortune off it.....Fox news said that Exxons last quarter profits would make Walmart look like the corner Drugstore.... :???:

Oldtimer said:
Border rancher- Won't happen, but may not have that great an impact either....Experts agree that there is no lack of supply in oil- just a demand that allows an ever shrinking amount of multinational Big Oil Companies to raise prices and make larger profits....

The claim out there now is that this is also a 20 year commodity shift in prices- just as Agman says is taking place in the cattle industry-- and that these oil prices will fluctuate but never go down by much- unless demand drops greatly, which is unlikely......

This is not like the 70's when the oil wasn't available and gas stations rationed and closed down-- the oil is there and the demand is there and Big Business is making a fortune off it.....Fox news said that Exxons last quarter profits would make Walmart look like the corner Drugstore.... :???:
What a joke OT :lol: :lol: :lol: If the oil and gas was shut off from Canada tomorrow the US economy would hit the skids big time. It will never happen but to deny it in the manner you have is just another of your ridiculous comments.

Bill said:
What a joke OT :lol: :lol: :lol: If the oil and gas was shut off from Canada tomorrow the US economy would hit the skids big time. It will never happen

Looks like we both agree- will never happen... so there is no way we'll ever see what the effect would be.......

Just to show you how dependant you are on the beaver for energy OT.

There are 178.8 Billion barrels of proven oil reserves in Canada second only to Saudi Arabia.

During the first eleven months of 2004, Canada exported 1.62 million barrels/day of crude oil to the U.S., the single-largest component of U.S. crude oil imports. Canada also sent some 500,000 barrels/day of petroleum products to the U.S. during this period, the most from a single country. The largest share of U.S.-bound Canadian oil exports go to the the Midwest with smaller amounts heading to the Rocky Mountains and the East Coast.

Canada is an important source of the U.S. natural gas supply. In 2003, Canada exported some 3.5 Tcf of natural gas to the United States, representing almost all of Canada's natural gas exports. Canada's exports represented 16% of U.S. natural gas consumption in 2003. Most Canadian natural gas exports enter the U.S. through pipelines in Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, and Minnesota.
Yep it would have a big impact........if only it could happen. Problem is everytime the elephant farts the beaver gets covered. Unlike you most of us understand how our two countried need each other for trade.

OT is not unlike most americans, totally ignorant of anything farther than 20 miles away. The US economy would grind to a total halt without Canada's energy, and a lot of the dumb bastards would freeze to death come wintertime. The US is completely dependent on us, but our polititians don't have the guts to call the bully's bluff.
Besides, Canadians are too polite and helpful not to help our neighbours, even while our neighbour is treating us like crap.

Boys, as some of you may have noticed, I don't think this border fight is right and never have. Trade is a fact of life, and the sooner the BSE fears and other bogus issues are laid to rest, the better for the cattle/beef industry in both countries, IMO.

However, it seems that trade happens when two people (or nations) agree that both can benefit from the trade.

I'm wondering how much refining capacity Canada has. Hasn't the refining capacity in the USA has been stagnant for many long years due largely to the environmental extremists among us? Is it the same in Canada, or did your country decide long ago that they could keep "cleaner" by sending your crude down here for refining? I'm asking because I do not know and believe many others also do not. Wouldn't we all be better served by working together to solve problems rather than possibly blaming the wrong people for the wrong reasons?

MRJ

I don't have many answers for you MRJ but here is a site with some interesting links. http://www.growley.com/war/can-oil.html

I don't think much of some of the comments on the title page but gives you an idea of how big the tar-sands are.

Canada replacing the Saudis is an interesting thought.

Another example for those that want to know, many tanker trucks travel up here with orange juice in them, what goes back?

WATER, hell think of that, Canada, as a source of water.

These trade wars have more at stake than OT realizes, ever will, but us Canadians, we still get raped.

Keep at it US, Canadians will soon realize and will put a stop to it. We are still dealing with a democratic society here and our electorate will have a vot.

Murgen said:
Another example for those that want to know, many tanker trucks travel up here with orange juice in them, what goes back?

WATER, hell think of that, Canada, as a source of water.

These trade wars have more at stake than OT realizes, ever will, but us Canadians, we still get raped.

Keep at it US, Canadians will soon realize and will put a stop to it. We are still dealing with a democratic society here and our electorate will have a vot.
A democratic society in Canada. :lol: :lol: :lol: Not as long as the Liberals/NDP are in power. We have been governed by corrupt dictators with Chretien and Martin under the "democratic" system and then with a minority gov't Layton trots up on his Shetland pony to keep the Liberals in power. Sorry but those of us out west don't see this as much of a democracy.

MRJ said:
Boys, as some of you may have noticed, I don't think this border fight is right and never have. Trade is a fact of life, and the sooner the BSE fears and other bogus issues are laid to rest, the better for the cattle/beef industry in both countries, IMO.

However, it seems that trade happens when two people (or nations) agree that both can benefit from the trade.

I'm wondering how much refining capacity Canada has. Hasn't the refining capacity in the USA has been stagnant for many long years due largely to the environmental extremists among us? Is it the same in Canada, or did your country decide long ago that they could keep "cleaner" by sending your crude down here for refining? I'm asking because I do not know and believe many others also do not. Wouldn't we all be better served by working together to solve problems rather than possibly blaming the wrong people for the wrong reasons?

MRJ

"wouldn't we all be better served by working together to solve problems"
That is what Canadians are always willing to do, but everytime we try working with the US, they stab us in the back as soon as we're not looking. Come to think of it, they'll stab us while we're still looking. We're just sick and tired of the US not honoring trade agreements, or any agreements for that matter. No wonder that nobody trusts or even likes the US.

Latest posts