• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Other 2011 March photos, Part Two

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
KosmoKidmovingacalf.jpg

Kosmo Kid moving a calf
Withthemommacowfollowingalong.jpg

With the momma cow following along
Yellowstonemysturdysteed.jpg

Yellowstone, my sturdy steed
RenaonLola.jpg

Rena and Lola
Fallcalversonadietoffreshairandsunshine.jpg

Fall calvers on a diet of fresh air and sunshine
Theyhaveplentyoftimetogaincondition.jpg

They have plenty of time to gain condition
Bythe10thofAugustwhentheyaredue.jpg

By the 10th of August when they are due
Tostartcalving.jpg

To start calving
Renaonagreenbrokemount.jpg

Rena on a green broke mount
Firstcalfheifersandtheirbabies.jpg

First calf heifers and their babies
Yearlingheifersattheirwinterquarters.jpg

Yearling heifers at their winter quarters, thirty miles from our ranch
Mydadrodealongtolookatthecattle.jpg

My dad rode along to look at the cattle.
Ivemanagedtowinterwithoutlosingcondition.jpg

I've managed to get through the winter without losing much condition. :?
Iamhappywiththewaytheheifersarelooking.jpg

I'm happy with the way the heifers are looking.
Yearlingbulls.jpg

Yearling bulls
Inunclippedcondition.jpg

In unclipped splendor
ShouldbereadytogotoworkbylateMay.jpg

Should be ready to go to work by late May
Bullsthatwillbeusedonyearlingheifers.jpg

Bulls that will be used on yearling heifers
Sparkysropingdummy.jpg

Sparky's roping dummy
Hookittoabatteryandthelegsgobackandforth.jpg

Hook it to any battery and the legs go back and forth
Technicianatwork.jpg

Technician at work
Abloodhoundonthetrail.jpg

A bloodhound on the trail
SweetPotatoinasupervisorycapacity.jpg

Sweet Potato making sure things are done correctly

Good pictures Soap, Looks like the efficient calving crew is getting the job well done,
Looking at your fall cows, make a guy wonder if that is when I should calve to whole bunch, after the cold nasty weather we had o the 7th when we started with a band.
Got a hired hand and dont think we could have handled it with just the two of us.
Got battered u p by a cow last week (same cow) twice in one day. Have to go get a knee looked at today.
Been missing your pics, thanks W

Big Muddy rancher said:
Did your snow come or go between part one and part 2?

We have had significant snow at times all winter. It does seem to melt fairly well before the next batch arrives. It has been a treacherous year to be horseback, because the mud puddles freeze over and new snow conceals them. As a pedestrian, I took a tumble one day from this happening. As for the photos, they were put up in chronological order.

Sounds like you might have a pretty bad blizzard going on in your country. Hope you get through the ordeal in fine shape.

salt grass flats said:
Good pictures Soap, Looks like the efficient calving crew is getting the job well done,
Looking at your fall cows, make a guy wonder if that is when I should calve to whole bunch, after the cold nasty weather we had o the 7th when we started with a band.
Got a hired hand and dont think we could have handled it with just the two of us.
Got battered u p by a cow last week (same cow) twice in one day. Have to go get a knee looked at today.
Been missing your pics, thanks W

Dry fall cows are pretty trouble free, but if they have a calf it can take a lot of feed to get through the winter.

Sorry to hear of you getting thumped on by a cow. That particular cow might need to go to the Martin Sale Barn. Maybe we can eat dinner at the same table some Monday. :wink:

I think the photographer was the third wheel on that last romantic date scene... :D

Great pics, as usual :D . Your cattle look very good, especially considering the rough weather you've had. It almost looks like the black fall calver may have been in heat recently... or maybe she's just having a bad "tailhead hair day"!

Thanks for posting pics, I've been wondering how things were going for you. Just think, green grass is just around the corner :D .

WyomingRancher said:
Great pics, as usual :D . Your cattle look very good, especially considering the rough weather you've had. It almost looks like the black fall calver may have been in heat recently... or maybe she's just having a bad "tailhead hair day"! Thanks for posting pics, I've been wondering how things were going for you. Just think, green grass is just around the corner :D .

If she is, she doesn't get another chance.

But if she ends up open and at the sale barn, I can still say she has extra value because she is a part of our "program." :wink: :)

Latest posts