• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Other than working what do you do for fun?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jeff in ca

Reaction score
We all love this way of life, what else do you do for fun? My whole family goes to the local symphony; Susanvillesymphony.com it is very cool like watching a well oiled machine.

Getting something with sharp teeth and claws in the crosshairs of "Speaks Once", my .300 WM. :wink:

We are a long ways from the civilties of civilization. Phone calls to and from friends, small town local rodeos, cattlemen's meetings and cow sales constitute as fun for us.

,,,,, and Ranchers' Net :D

Well, sometimes I have time in the evening to play a little guitar (something I'm learning) an sip a little CR and Coke.
Dad and I bought some Longhorns and have them at the community grounds arena now so we'll take some late afternoons off and see if we can hang onto all our digits.

photo.php

We're in the phase of life where we're running kids to soccer, hockey, ball, etc, etc,, etc, etc, etc, etc. :???: :???:

Our idea of fun between all that and work is just sitting down with friends to some BBQ and a game of cards. I really enjoyed helping the kids at school with their community garden project last year as well.

Farmers and ranchers don't have much of a life if they don't like what they do, so for some at least, the work IS fun.

Yet, change and doing something different occasionally gives us an opportunity to stretch our brain, as well as using different muscles.

I love to walk, at least I used to, before joint problems and I sure hope to be able to do that again soon. You can just see more walking, even than from a horse. Tho that boost in height gives a great vantage point, too. I have a cousin who played in the Nashville Symphony for many years, so have gotten to see a few of those over the years and enjoyed them very much. Best symphony/cowbly music we have ever seen was quite a few years ago when we heard Chet Atkins play, backed by the Phoenix symphony! One of the lowest keyed performances, and the best performances we have ever seen. Mr. A simply sat on a wooden kitchen stool and played his guitar, backed by the fabulous musicians of the symphony, rarely even changing expressions, but was pushed into making a few comments which usually brought a laugh from the audience. He was a great hit with the crowd, which probably was most likely members of NCBA as it was during our convention there.

We did some fun things last week, as opposed to attending three funerals two weeks earlier. First was driving to ND to spend the night with friends before attending their bull sale. It was great to spend some time with their family, and the drive back home we usually take a different route. This time it was north to south east of hiwayh #83 on some of the minor hiways. We do enjoy touring 'new to us' areas of SD, or even places we haven't been recently. We watched a nice cloud band develop, and it did produce some good rains, unfortunately none of it fell on our ranch. But we are happy for the folks who did get some much needed rains. Our thermometers read 100% degrees for the old style outdoor one, and 90% for the modern remote control model. I prefer the modern one! And it really doesn't feel like 100 to me, but I was only out there for a few seconds. There is a gentle breeze, which may be a blessing because the forecast called for around 25mph. I believe I can see the pathetically small amount of green grass we have fading by the hour!

We had our 'Mothers Day lunch' at a great cafe in a nearby town and many of the patrons were friends, so some quick visits were enjoyed. AND there was at least one other 'ranchersnet' person enjoying that 'fun', too.

After lunch, we attended a fine art show on a beautiful ranch in the Badlands. Both of us like doing that, and it is a convenient place to shop for a nice Mothers' Day gift. Special because it is a necklace made from an agate found on a ranch with family connections, and made by members of that family.

We like to attend rodeos and most all the local activities. Several small communities in the area put on plays and they are fun. Rapid City is where two of our grandchildren live, so we attend their activities when we can. We are going to a Loretta Lynn concert, a Christmas gift from a son and his family, later this week, and a family wedding at Valentine, NE on Saturday. At ages 72 and 76, for a few more weeks!, we are doing more of these things that require little effort, tho at times just getting ready to go anyplace seems to take all of that we have.

Our best memories probably involve visiting with old friends and family.

mrj

not sure whether i reload so i can shoot more or shoot more so i can reload more... nothing better than a pile of dead gophers and then sitting back in the shade waiting for the magpie's,crows,raven's with the .204 :wink: :wink:

Littlest H is up to his ears is baseball which is 2 trips atleast a week from the desert to town. Little H is busy with piano lessons from a local lady, 4H classes and projects and helping groom a few local dogs. Mrs. H has a very time consuming church job helping all the women in our area, helping with funerals and weddings and folks who need a little help with groceries and such, plus PTA and the home and ranch. I am a volunteer fireman, cub scout leader, day job haver and apprentice cowboy. We sneek away now and then to hunt when we can and we love to ride the horses whenever we can. We have attended the poetry gathering in Elko a few times and hit a few of the closest rodeos during the summer. Would like to go to the national finals rodeo or the PBR or Cheyenne (again) someday soon. Calgary and the Denver stockshow someday hopefully. As long as we do it as a family, work or play, we usually have a good time.

Reloading & shooting. Or maybe the order is shooting & reloading?

I'm with Silver too. I likes my old guitar and some Old Forrester........

I like poking Jiggsy with a sharp stick..... :lol: ........he takes his MildCat feetball waaaaay too seriously..... :wink:

Playing with my horses, and I'm just getting into it now with my daughter, Jumping! Also I enjoy gardening (flower and vegetable) photograpy and reading.

DH has his poker nights, goes out to play crib now and then and enjoys hunting along with our son.

Hunting and going water skiing at lake Powell which we try and do with family every other year. Also coaching high school football and track. Takes a lot of time but I enjoy it and still get things done on the farm.

What I really wnt to do today, and will a little later, is sit by the wild plum trees and inhale that wonderful scent of their blooms!

If only someone could bottle and preserve that scent, it would make the greatest room freshener. Not sure whether the plums, or the wild currants would be best.

mrj

mrj said:
What I really wnt to do today, and will a little later, is sit by the wild plum trees and inhale that wonderful scent of their blooms!

If only someone could bottle and preserve that scent, it would make the greatest room freshener. Not sure whether the plums, or the wild currants would be best.

mrj

Isn't that a wonderful part of this time of year? :)

Last week I was preparing the field for corn planting and could very well have stayed parked beside the fence-row where some trees - I think wild pear - were in blossom and filling the air with their fragrance. Heavenly!

Latest posts