• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our Aussie Friends

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from Tully or Australian cattle rancher??? They are having bad fires around Alice Springs..... I've been thinking about them and wondering how things are going.......

Here's the latest from 'tomorrow's' Australian news sites. Having been down there many years ago, these can be frightening. When those gum trees explode, you don't want to be anywhere close.

As the man says at the end of the article, 'It is all in the hands of the man upstairs.'

Tasmania prepares for the worstBy Robyn Grace in St Marys, Tasmania
December 14, 2006 03:30am

ST Marys residents are bracing for the worst conditions as fire crews work around the clock with stretched resources to contain a bushfire on Tasmania's east coast.

A packed community meeting last night was told to put their fire plans into action ahead of a predicted 25km/h to 35km/h northeasterly winds.

Crews spent the day yesterday putting fire breaks around communities under the most threat, but residents have been warned that resources cannot be allocated to every home.

"The fire will continue to grow," Tasmania Fire Service officer Chris Tomes said.

"We're concentrating our resources where they are most needed.

"We cannot park a fire truck outside every home. We would like to do that but it's not a reality."

The fire has now burnt some 12,000 hectares since Sunday night.

Three helicopters, eight bulldozers, 40 fire trucks and 120 personnel are working around the clock to prevent the loss of more property following Monday night's devastating firestorm at nearby Scamander which gutted 13 homes and other buildings.

Crews spent the day yesterday installing fire breaks and backburning around communities including Four Mile Creek, Gray and Irishtown, but inaccessible terrain and wind changes have hampered some control efforts.

Prime Minister John Howard, in Tasmania yesterday to inspect the damage already inflicted on various communities in the state, said the ongoing drought throughout Australia had placed the country at extreme risk of bushfires.

"It is going to be a very, very difficult summer," he said at the burnt out Winifred Curtis Reserve in Scamander.

"It's going to be a menacing summer as far as bushfires are concerned."

Mr Howard said the fact there had been no loss of life or serious injuries in Tasmania or Victoria where fires also rage, was an "extraordinary tribute" to fire crews.

His two-and-a-half hour visit to Tasmania also included a stop at the St Helens evacuation centre, where he spoke with victims of the disaster.

Conditions are expected to worsen today with wind gusts of up to 90km/h to 100km/h in mid-morning before a northwesterly change in the afternoon, which could push the blaze back towards Scamander.

"Our control options are limited and it's going to be some considerable time before the fire is contained," Mr Tomes said.

Mr Tomes reassured residents the Scamander firestorm was "an extreme event" which he hoped would not be repeated.

But he said no one could be certain what the fire would do next.

"Fires by their very nature are unpredictable. This is not an exact science," he said.

"It's all in the hands of somebody upstairs"

Road closures and communication outages have increased the challenges for firefighters, who are covering an 80km perimeter.

Break O'Day mayor Robert Legge told last night's meeting it was "a miracle" no one had been killed so far in the fire.

Mr Legge said smoke at Scamander on Monday night rose more than 3000m into the air and "3000 feet up you'd think the air was on fire".

"How the hell the firefighters withstood it I'm yet to know," he said.

For a fire of that size there's not alot of equipment fighting it-I wonder if the limiting factor there is water to fight with. When the forest fire season is on up here the water bombers make it sound like the Battle of Britain-were lucky that every few miles there's another lake to get water from. I hope things change for them soon.

Things are quite dusty here in the land of Oz.& a bit smokey as well in a few places. The situation with fires is a result of bad management by national parks . The "greenies" run this country so they have locked catttle out of the high country & stopped the controlled burning of in winter that used to reduce the fuel load .......the result is fires that no one can control.
On a lighter note .
I was programming some wagyu cows for AI on Sunday, having never used CIDR's before I was all keyed up to get it right.Had the girls in the yards by7am (to beat the heat) was all ready ......forgot the goo,the lubricant for the CIDR insertion...darn......went into town ,no vet open so off to the supermarket to search for the human equivelant :oops: there were no male shop assistants around & I could not find it .so I was forced to ask a young lady stacking shelves(about 24-25) when she finaly realised what I meant she said "oh that stuff"I said "no its for using on cows" her eyes got bigger & she took a step backwards........"its for dipping the end of my thingy in ..its about a foot long' at which point she turned around & walked quickly away leaving me looking & feeling like some old perv . I looked to my left & there it was ..grab ,run ,pay,run.......flee.
Iam glad there are 3 supermarkets in town as one of them I might not go to for a while. :oops: :oops:

That is Funny :D :D

One time I had a young shop clerk convinced that the reason I was buying a case of paper towels was to toilet train my cows. They needed something big enough to hold between their toes. I was actually buying them because I was teaching an AI school that week, when I told her that, it got even worse.

I am teaching reproduction at a vo-ag (FFA) class this next week. I always look forward to the questions from some of the wannabe farmers. You would think that they would have learned something in biology class over the previous three years, but every year I am surprised at the level of ignorance displayed by our students.

Tully said:
Things are quite dusty here in the land of Oz.& a bit smokey as well in a few places. The situation with fires is a result of bad management by national parks . The "greenies" run this country so they have locked catttle out of the high country & stopped the controlled burning of in winter that used to reduce the fuel load .......the result is fires that no one can control.
On a lighter note .
I was programming some wagyu cows for AI on Sunday, having never used CIDR's before I was all keyed up to get it right.Had the girls in the yards by7am (to beat the heat) was all ready ......forgot the goo,the lubricant for the CIDR insertion...darn......went into town ,no vet open so off to the supermarket to search for the human equivelant :oops: there were no male shop assistants around & I could not find it .so I was forced to ask a young lady stacking shelves(about 24-25) when she finaly realised what I meant she said "oh that stuff"I said "no its for using on cows" her eyes got bigger & she took a step backwards........"its for dipping the end of my thingy in ..its about a foot long' at which point she turned around & walked quickly away leaving me looking & feeling like some old perv . I looked to my left & there it was ..grab ,run ,pay,run.......flee.
Iam glad there are 3 supermarkets in town as one of them I might not go to for a while. :oops: :oops:

Great to hear from you "mate". Made my day, reading that story. I had to read it to the Mrs. when she heard me howling with laughter.

Hope you get them fires out.

By the way, I watched a show the other night called, Ned Kelly. Can you enlighten me and tell me if what I watched was drivel, or close to the truth? They kind of made him out to be a cross between Jesse James and Robin Hood.

Ned Kelly was what they called a bushranger back in the 1800's.
Translation: thief, there was little honour amongst law breakers & law keepers in those days & it's fair to say he was pushed into a life of crime but in the washup he was still just a thief so the romantics can have there movie scripts & their cult heroes but crime is crime.You have your Jesse James ,Bonnie & Clyde...etc we had Ned & a few more like him,lets face it the world loves a rogue.I wonder if he would have been as popular if he didn't wear that tin suit? nothing like a gimic .
The drought here left us with a tiny winter crop , I have never seen grain prices climb so fast, Barley went from $140/ton to $320ton in about 6 weeks , sure did shake up the feedlot industry . Has a price rise like that ever happened in the US ?
regards
Tully
Oz
:)

Tully said:
Ned Kelly was what they called a bushranger back in the 1800's.
Translation: thief, there was little honour amongst law breakers & law keepers in those days & it's fair to say he was pushed into a life of crime but in the washup he was still just a thief so the romantics can have there movie scripts & their cult heroes but crime is crime.You have your Jesse James ,Bonnie & Clyde...etc we had Ned & a few more like him,lets face it the world loves a rogue.I wonder if he would have been as popular if he didn't wear that tin suit? nothing like a gimic .
The drought here left us with a tiny winter crop , I have never seen grain prices climb so fast, Barley went from $140/ton to $320ton in about 6 weeks , sure did shake up the feedlot industry . Has a price rise like that ever happened in the US ?
regards
Tully
Oz
:)

Thanks for the info Tully. About what I figured and that's pretty much how he was portrayed. Not a lot of romance to it, pretty black and white.

Yup, grain and cattle prices have both went up and down pretty dramaticly, different times. Me, I use mostly grass, so I don't pay much atention to it. :wink:

Latest posts