• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our herd we don't run on the forest...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Wyoming Wind

Reaction score
Went to check out our other herd we pasture on private land year round. Quite a few of these calved a month before our forest herd, something we aren't going to do this next season. Our spring was ridiculously snowy and cold and we lost way too many to make the extra pounds worth the risk. So our bulls all got kicked in the same time this summer. All these looked really good yesterday though---i haven't seen them for quite a while and they'll have grass easily until it snows up this fall.

Found this little guy running around looking for his type of cow

Nice calf...see the pair of trumpeter swans over the top of him?

Some nice pairs eating a bale that didn't make it to the stackyard

Our best steer calf in the herd...he was posing very nicely this day!

Thanks for looking at my pics!

Pretty nice livestock and a strangely familiar view. Pretty big moose as well. Thanks for the look.

NUFFIELD said:
burnt said:
Well that kind of stock isn't too hard to look at!!

Except that first one, I'd rather look at him through a scope...
Do you eat the moose you shoot. similar to deer meat is it
If we draw a license we might eat the best cuts...a big old bull moose is very gamey tasting but very lean. Moose are basically a pain in the butt for us ranchers around here though. In the winter they break into our hay stackyards, eating hay and making a mess, and they can get a bit aggressive. Plus our teams of draft horses don't really care for those big scary critters!

NUFFIELD said:
burnt said:

Yes, we eat moose; it is a very tasty and fine-grained meat. But then we have only ever shot a young bull or a cow.

We much prefer moose over venison at our house. Moose is good as roasts, steaks, hamburger patties or frying sausage.

The deer we harvest around here in southern Ontario, even though they could be considered "grain-fed", go best in frying sausage and pepperettes unless they are young. Does are O.K., but can still taste gamey.

It really comes down to taste preferences.

burnt said:
NUFFIELD said:
burnt said:

Yes, we eat moose; it is a very tasty and fine-grained meat. But then we have only ever shot a young bull or a cow.

We much prefer moose over venison at our house. Moose is good as roasts, steaks, hamburger patties or frying sausage.

The deer we harvest around here in southern Ontario, even though they could be considered "grain-fed", go best in frying sausage and pepperettes unless they are young. Does are O.K., but can still taste gamey.

old moose you chew and chew and chew swallow then take your knife and cut the gravy :wink:

jodywy said:
burnt said:
NUFFIELD said:

old moose you chew and chew and chew swallow then take your knife

and cut the gravy :wink:

so

thats why Newfies have dental issues

i much prefer moose to any of the other game critters

Thank you for the tour, nice country and good looking stock are always a pleasure to see, the moose is a nice addition!! (best Scottish accent; If that is a Moos Hoo big ar ye CATS?)

hayguy said:
jodywy said:
burnt said:

old moose you chew and chew and chew swallow then take your knife

and cut the gravy :wink:

so

thats why Newfies have dental issues

i much prefer moose to any of the other game critters

Our friend from the coast went home with his moose on Thursday. There will be some fine eating with THAT one. He had 3/4 inch of fat over his T-bones. Got him just as the rut was kicking in so he didn't stink either. Any later and they aren't worth eating.

I'll take a grass fat 2 year old dry heifer over any other kind of meat any day.

Different folks have asked me what cariboo were like to eat. If you were to take a good beef steak out of the freezer, leave it on the counter to age for a week, then marinate it in p!$$ overnight you will have a good idea what kind of eating experience cariboo is. :wink:

Beautiful cattle and land, and love the moose. We've tried lots of different meats, but think we'll pass on the caribou! :lol:

Latest posts