• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our Own Little Corner: Women's Empowerment

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
Ok, I am off from school until the end of the month; I couldn't wait to get back to our community and share a few things with you. In the past six weeks I have learned a few valuable things about myself and women's behavior.
I would like to invite every woman here to keep this empowering post going where you can share anything with the rest of us. I personally would like to start with the following question since it will give you an idea of what I have learned about myself in the past six weeks.

Question: Is there something you're still holding on to? Is it time to let it go?

Yes, I was holding on to the idea that the women in my program were going to be supportive and inclusive of all of the other women in the class; unfortunately it is not the case. Being the type of woman that does not likes to " judge a book by its cover" and who believes that the "whole is greater than its parts" it has been difficult for me to accept the idea that I will be "stuck" working with the same "partners" as a result of being part of a group of people who are reluctant to include others outside of their "click". I have finally let go of wanting to experience a difference kind of working/social environment.

I don't understand the "need" to be unkind and exclusive to those in the same group. I hope that this post can inspire us to lift our own spirits and empower one another.

Best Regards,
SB

SB----WELCOME BACK, YOUNG LADY!! AS ALWAYS, YOUR POST MADE ME PAUSE AND THINK...SOMETHING THAT CAN BE QUITE DANGEROUS FOR OTHERS AROUND ME... :wink:

UNFORTUNATELY, THE ANSWER FOR ME IS "YES, THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT I HAVE BEEN HOLDING ONTO"....MY MOTHER PASSED SUDDENLY 12 1/2 YEARS AGO AND MY LAST WORDS TO HER THAT PREVIOUS DAY WERE LESS THAN "DAUGHTERLY" AND "KIND"...I WAS RUSHED, 8 MONTHS PREGNANT AND CRANKY AND MY MOTHER BORE THE BRUNT OF MY AGGITATION...IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN!! :( I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FORGIVE MYSELF FOR THE FACT THAT THE LAST WORDS SHE HEARD FROM ME LESS THAT 24 HOURS BEFORE SHE WOULD PASS WERE "MOM, I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS NONSENSE...I WILL CALL YOU LATER!"

kris said:
SB----WELCOME BACK, YOUNG LADY!! AS ALWAYS, YOUR POST MADE ME PAUSE AND THINK...SOMETHING THAT CAN BE QUITE DANGEROUS FOR OTHERS AROUND ME... :wink:

UNFORTUNATELY, THE ANSWER FOR ME IS "YES, THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT I HAVE BEEN HOLDING ONTO"....MY MOTHER PASSED SUDDENLY 12 1/2 YEARS AGO AND MY LAST WORDS TO HER THAT PREVIOUS DAY WERE LESS THAN "DAUGHTERLY" AND "KIND"...I WAS RUSHED, 8 MONTHS PREGNANT AND CRANKY AND MY MOTHER BORE THE BRUNT OF MY AGGITATION...IF ONLY I HAD KNOWN!! :( I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FORGIVE MYSELF FOR THE FACT THAT THE LAST WORDS SHE HEARD FROM ME LESS THAT 24 HOURS BEFORE SHE WOULD PASS WERE "MOM, I JUST DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS NONSENSE...I WILL CALL YOU LATER!"

Kris,
I can't imagine how you might feel about the situation. How are planning on letting go so that you can establish a relationship with your mom again? When I need to let go of an emotion associated with an event in order for me to receive peace again and establish a positive relationship with such event is to write a letter and burn it. For example, in a situation like yours, where we are referring to someone very special in one's life, I would write a letter to her. Tell her everything you ever wanted to tell her, and ask her to forgive you. Put all the emotions on the letter as you are writing it; then put it in a brown paper bag and burn it. As you are burning the letter, tell her how much you love her and ask for forgiveness. A feeling of bliss will come to you and you will be able to re-establish a connection with your mom. Our loved ones that have passed away are are always very close to us.

Thank you for sharing.

I came up to San Francisco to visit my Grandma on Saturday. We didn't know exactly in what kind of condition we would find her. I was heart broken to see my lovely grandma so sad, weighting only 98 pounds, her little bones are evidence of how her body has been suffering. She had two heart attacks in the begining of the year; the second attack came with a stroke that damaged her speech and balance. As I was talking to her during our visit and trying to cheer her up, I felt like my spirit was drowing in a sea of sandness. I feel so helpless right now. The unwelcomed guest (alzheimer) was knocking on the door constantly as we were trying to remember things that we did with her in the past, the activities that she liked to do, and even trying to figure out what food she wanted to eat for lunch.

I think most of us keep pictures of our loved ones every where in the home as well in special places like our offices or bedrooms. I too keep pictures of my family on my bedstand. I have a very cute picture of my grandma of when she was a teacher full of life. This morning was rather different since the first thing I did was to looked directly at her picture as I opened my eyes to welcome another day. Even though looking around my room for a few minutes every morning is rather a routine that I have, a time where I can welcome the day, say my prayers, and hope for the best; however, this morning I looked directly at my grandma's picture and for an instant I felt like everything was "normal" in her life. I had a rush of joy flooding through my body and reached for my cell phone to give her a call.

Even though she can't communicate well and has difficulty remembering who I am, there is such a comfort knowing that she is hearing my voice and hopefully she knows how much she is loved. As the day went on, I have been in conversation with God ("Charlie") and asking him the following question:

1. "Charlie" how could I know that my grandma's spirit is somehow aware that she is loved even though her physical body is suffering?

Then I have been thinking how lucky are those who have children and whose children grow up to become compassionate adults and are willing to provide a safe, loving, and comfortable place for their elderly parents. I don't know what plans "Charlie" has for me regarding children, but if I ever become a parent I hope that I can teach my children to become caring and compassionate adults not only to their family but to those around them as well.

It doesn't matter the age, race, religion, or political affiliation, we are all God's children trying to walk the same path and overcome the same challenges in order to perform the tasks we signed up to come to do on earth. I think the way we treat others while in this life will be more important to God then our political affiliation...

sweetbasil said:
I think most of us keep pictures of our loved ones every where in the home as well in special places like our offices or bedrooms. I too keep pictures of my family on my bedstand. I have a very cute picture of my grandma of when she was a teacher full of life. This morning was rather different since the first thing I did was to looked directly at her picture as I opened my eyes to welcome another day. Even though looking around my room for a few minutes every morning is rather a routine that I have, a time where I can welcome the day, say my prayers, and hope for the best; however, this morning I looked directly at my grandma's picture and for an instant I felt like everything was "normal" in her life. I had a rush of joy flooding through my body and reached for my cell phone to give her a call.

Even though she can't communicate well and has difficulty remembering who I am, there is such a comfort knowing that she is hearing my voice and hopefully she knows how much she is loved. As the day went on, I have been in conversation with God ("Charlie") and asking him the following question:

1. "Charlie" how could I know that my grandma's spirit is somehow aware that she is loved even though her physical body is suffering?

Then I have been thinking how lucky are those who have children and whose children grow up to become compassionate adults and are willing to provide a safe, loving, and comfortable place for their elderly parents. I don't know what plans "Charlie" has for me regarding children, but if I ever become a parent I hope that I can teach my children to become caring and compassionate adults not only to their family but to those around them as well.

It doesn't matter the age, race, religion, or political affiliation, we are all God's children trying to walk the same path and overcome the same challenges in order to perform the tasks we signed up to come to do on earth. I think the way we treat others while in this life will be more important to God then our political affiliation...

You are wise beyond your years, sweetbasil. Thanks for your insightful posts.

I am searching for a flower arrangement to send to my grandma to cheer her little corner of the world... I can't help but think that it has been a while since the last time I received flowers, and then as I continued narrowing my choices I thought of the following question: how did you know he was the one you wanted to spend the rest of your life with?

I would like to start out by giving thanks to everyone here who prayed for my grandma's recovery.

We called her on Monday, to wish her a good week, and to check in with her. It was the first time in almost a year that I heard my grandma's voice as it was before having the two heart-attacks and the stroke. I was in tears of joy hearing her voice with such enthusiasm and filled with energy. We visited her in July and I came home very sad from seeing her health deteriorating at such a fast pace. On Monday, God showed me a sign that he has been working on answering my prayers. I have been praying for my grandma's recovery, and I know that things will get even better for her. I thank those of you that took the time to prayed for her.

May you have a wonderful Thursday!

We have a family friend who has taught me that one needs to do whatever it is that makes one happy (as long as one doesn't hurt anyone else). There has been a few things that have happened since last week that have left me feeling sad.

Today I have been carrying a conversation with myself and asking my soul "how can I cheer you up" since I am a person that expresses emotions physically very easily, one can tell when I am feeling sad because I am usually a happy and playful kind of person... As the day progressed, all that comes to mind is getting flowers; the problem is not just flowers but sunflowers. There is something vivid about sunflowers that makes my heart tickle every time I am around this type of flower. Now I am on the journey of finding sunflowers to cheer my soul and help me get out of this "cloud"...

So my question to you is, what do you do to make you happy (cheer you up)?

sweetbasil said:
We have a family friend who has taught me that one needs to do whatever it is that makes one happy (as long as one doesn't hurt anyone else). There has been a few things that have happened since last week that have left me feeling sad.

Today I have been carrying a conversation with myself and asking my soul "how can I cheer you up" since I am a person that expresses emotions physically very easily, one can tell when I am feeling sad because I am usually a happy and playful kind of person... As the day progressed, all that comes to mind is getting flowers; the problem is not just flowers but sunflowers. There is something vivid about sunflowers that makes my heart tickle every time I am around this type of flower. Now I am on the journey of finding sunflowers to cheer my soul and help me get out of this "cloud"...

the easiest way for me to "cheer up" is to make someone else smile...not always easy in my profession but my day is not made unless i know that i have, somehow, made a difference to someone else!! if i can ease the pain and suffering in a small child in our ER or hold the hand of an elderly man as his soul-mate of 63 years leaves this earth, then i know i have done something worthwhile and i can go home "cheered up"!!

kris said:
sweetbasil said:

the easiest way for me to "cheer up" is to make someone else smile...not always easy in my profession but my day is not made unless i know that i have, somehow, made a difference to someone else!! if i can ease the pain and suffering in a small child in our ER or hold the hand of an elderly man as his soul-mate of 63 years leaves this earth, then i know i have done something worthwhile and i can go home "cheered up"!!

Thank you for being a nurse (?), we need more gentle and kind people like you.

There are so many women in this world who we need to look up to keep going. Today, I want to dedicate this poem to all of us who are working, who are raising families, and who are kind to others!

Happy Halloween!
SB

The Empowered Woman
by Sonny Carroll

The Empowered Woman, she moves through the world
with a sense of confidence and grace.
Her once reckless spirit now tempered by wisdom.
Quietly, yet firmly, she speaks her truth without doubt or hesitation
and the life she leads is of her own creation.

She now understands what it means to live and let live.
How much to ask for herself and how much to give.
She has a strong, yet generous heart
and the inner beauty she emanates truly sets her apart.
Like the mythical Phoenix,
she has risen from the ashes and soared to a new plane of existence,
unfettered by the things that once that posed such resistance.

Her senses now heightened, she sees everything so clearly.
She hears the wind rustling through the trees;
beckoning her to live the dreams she holds so dearly.
She feels the softness of her hands
and muses at the strength that they possess.
Her needs and desires she has learned to express.
She has tasted the bitter and savored the sweet fruits of life,
overcome adversity and pushed past heartache and strife.

And the one thing she never understood,
she now knows to be true,
it all begins and ends with you.

Copyright © 2003 Sonny Carroll & Pearls Of Wisdom. All Rights Reserved
This poem was written especially for Pearls Of Wisdom.
Thank you Sonny.

Latest posts