• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our Son's Football Career

Help Support Ranchers.net:

JF Ranch

Reaction score
I doubt that any of you would remember that I have a son who played football for BHSU at Spearfish, SD. I posted something about it here, back when he was a freshman in 2007. He had a great career as a 4 year starter at linebacker. He was named to All Conference honors after both his Junior and Senior years. This dad thinks he was robbed of it his sophomore too, but that's another story!

He wrapped up his eligibility last fall but strapped on the pads one more time yesterday at the VSN Senior Classic, an All-Star game played at Salina, KS. He and another of his team mates were chosen to play on the same team together. There was no practice preparation and with just one day to get organized, both teams were pretty rusty. Our side lost 17-13 but it was a fun game to watch. The boys matched up well, both ending up at the top of the stats for total tackles.

Last fall we were relieved that our son completed his college career without major injury. It was hard for me to not think about that possibility happening in this extra, "just for fun" game but thankfully, he came through it with just the normal bumps & bruises.

As parents we loved the experience of traveling to games all across North & South Dakota. As far away as Helena, MT and parts of Oklahoma, Minnesota and Iowa. Getting to know many of the kids on the team and their parents has been rewarding for us. It concluded all too quickly and I will darned sure miss that experience each fall.

GO YELLOW JACKETS!

wish I knew that game was going on...I am 1 1/2 hours from Salina...would love to catch a college game this time of year...

is he looking at going on to the next level?

jigs said:
wish I knew that game was going on...I am 1 1/2 hours from Salina...would love to catch a college game this time of year...

is he looking at going on to the next level?

Jigsy,

I'm sorry I didn't think to say something to you about the game. It would have been fun having you there. It was a bit windy but that didn't seem to hurt either team too much.

Next level? No, this is NAIA and few get that chance. Although he told me there was one kid in this game that was just drafted and maybe a few others looked at. Some of his team mates have gone on to arena ball. There is a good team out of Casper, WY that gets some of the BH kids. The other young man that played yesterday from BH is playing with the Casper team.

Our son chose to help coach at BH next fall, since he has one more semester of classes before graduating in December. He helped with spring ball and liked it. He's always been thought of as coach material and might like the opportunity to help as a Graduate Assistant, while pursuing his Masters.

There is a kid who lives not too far from here who got a 4 year full-ride football scholarship at Nebraska Wesleyan. He graduated last year and is now working part time with the Hastings College baseball team as a trainer/strength coach. He was approached to play for the Danger, the new arena football team in Grand Island, but quickly turned them down when he found out they only paid $350/game, with no insurance and no compensation for travel to practice, etc.

He didn't think $350 was a very fair trade for a blown out knee, or worse.

loomixguy said:

That's this dad's sentiments, exactly. So, I'm glad our son is moving on.

I love football, but injuries can plague a guy for the rest of his life. Even though our son did not have a major injury, he says that his body aches and he feels each of the four years he played. He would have never admitted that while playing, but now that it's over, he can be honest about it.

That's the tough thing about football is when it's over its over-no over 50 beer leagues like in hockey. Your son will find coaching prettty fulfilling I know I sure did after my hockey days were done.

Since this topic is still here, like a "hanging chad", I'll take this opportunity to make an amendment to my initial announcement. I was recently corrected in that our son received All-Conference honors his Sophomore year as well as his Junior and Senior seasons.

For his career, he is currently the total tackle leader for the school since they began keeping individual defensive stats in 2004. He is credited for 252 total tackles, 27.5 tackles for loss, 8 sacks and 3 interceptions. At the last awards banquet while introducing the Seniors, the Coach expressed embarrassment that in recruiting they had overlooked him, but how thankful they were when he showed up as a walk-on.

'Sorry to be so blatantly proud of the kid.

Heck I'm kind of proud of him too and he's your kid. I'm pretty sure Mom and Dad had alot to do with his successes-congratulations to all of you.

JF Ranch said:
loomixguy said:

That's this dad's sentiments, exactly. So, I'm glad our son is moving on.

I love football, but injuries can plague a guy for the rest of his life. Even though our son did not have a major injury, he says that his body aches and he feels each of the four years he played. He would have never admitted that while playing, but now that it's over, he can be honest about it.

Hey JF how do you handle the worrying about injuries thing, My oldest is a freshmen in highschool is quite an athlete but the coach has been purposely putting him up against the seniors in tackeling drills ,he went up against there hardest hitting senior the other day and hurt his back. We had to rope a steer the other night and doctor it and he couldn't hardly swing the rope. Now I know you can get hurt on horses too And I loved playing football but it seems different when its your kid. I also know the coach wants to see if he can play with the big boys. But boy right now I think cross country might be better choice . I guess we''ll just keep praying he is safe. My wife always says why worry when you can pray!

a coach like that is an ass. take a freshman, let the seniors beat him up, and the kid will be gun shy for a long time. my younger boy is one of the smallest in the class, and they had him tackle a kid who is bigger than me.... he hates the idea of football this year......all do to a stupid move by the coach.

that said, football is a tough sport, and takes tough people. BUT you need to build up the confidence of the boys, not bash it into them.

Latest posts